PDA

View Full Version : Skunked the past 2 days how do you do it!?!?!

Wreched
01-15-2013, 01:04 PM
Hey guys,

So I read, did research and browsed every corner of this forum and all other forums on how to catch this elusive flat fish halibut!! Man o man, I was on Sat and went to Leo Carillo beach with gear in one hand and pole in the other I had a giant grin on my face and thinking Im ready Im ready to get me some halibut!! I started loading up with the LC i purchased, thank you all for telling me which lure is best for halibut arsenal (wingnut) as i proceeded to cast I got nothing but salad :-( cast cast cast and nothing. But I was not discouraged, I just had this feeling one day ill get one haha. So on the way back home I did more reading and more reading and switched up beaches, i headed to Will rogers just north of santa monica. I started with a drop shot and well nothing, a few cast and working the beach still no bite. So I decided to switch up and go with an LC threw and threw and nooooothin. My girl though caught 2 perch, I purposlly riged her to catch perch that way she wouldnt get bored and give up on fishing ahah. Gotta keep'em happy and entertained. Anywho just wondering if its the right season or if im at the wrong beaches, but i click on some new threads and people are CATCHING how i ask HOW. :Confused: Anywho if you guys have any insight or tips or anything much would be greatly appreciated. Oh and both time were 3hrs before low tide and 1 hr after 3861938620

carpanglerdude
01-15-2013, 01:58 PM
Not sure I can offer much advice, except, persistence!

Nice surf perch btw!

Wingnut
01-15-2013, 03:56 PM
Winter time is generally the toughest time for surf fishing, unless you're targeting Perch.
Halibut is especially hard to catch during cold months. You can still catch them, but not with any frequency and/or consistency.
The time to target Halibut in the surf is Spring and Summer, when they move into the shallows to spawn.
Keep up the good work out there and you will eventually find success. :Wink:

Wreched
01-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Winter time is generally the toughest time for surf fishing, unless you're targeting Perch.
Halibut is especially hard to catch during cold months. You can still catch them, but not with any frequency and/or consistency.
The time to target Halibut in the surf is Spring and Summer, when they move into the shallows to spawn.
Keep up the good work out there and you will eventually find success. :Wink:

Hey Wingnut,

yea I hear you i guess ill just keep on and keep on :Big Grin: this weekend im going to head out to MDR and head out before 2hrs before high tide and hour after. Thanks again for the tips you are highly active on this site.

Homefish
01-23-2013, 09:47 PM
2 day halibut skunk? Heck it's been a 2 year halibut from the surf skunk for me!! Just keep on trying my friend. 1 day we'll get'm!

bassfishing24/7
01-24-2013, 03:25 AM
Try in the local harbors,if not u can catch spotties & sand bass.....

skunked4life
01-24-2013, 09:47 AM
I hate to say this, but if it were that easy, who wouldn't go fishing for halibut?

It took me 10 months of surf fishing for me to catch my first surf Butt. My second came the next day and was legal. Then, I suffered a 3 month drought. What I am trying to say is Halibut is like the bullseye on a dart board and perch are like the rest of the board. Getting a bullseye is rare (unless you are a pro) whereas hitting the board anywhere is common. What too is common is that sometimes, you will miss the board completely.

As to your perception that alot of people are catching halibut per the forum posts, no. That is the farthest thing from the truth. If we were all to go fishing every day and post a report every day, you would see that most of us are in the same boat as you. I used to post pictures of perch all the time because of how proud I was to have caught fish. Now, I hardly post a report unless it will give others intel or unless it is of a PB or Butt.

Don't give up. That is all I have to say and it is the single greatest piece of advice that Arthur, Dan, Robert, Thien, Daniel, Don and anyone else who has more experience has told me. It will happen if you keep trying but if you give up, well then, it will never happen.

Last piece of advice, the half dozen or so Butts I caught were when I had cast out to a "fishy" spot, but was not even thinking that I would catch anything. I was either thinking about life or looking up at the sky...The good Lord has blessed us with alot more than just fishing and I think that we should not be so narrow-minded or carry a single focus when fishing. Enjoy the environment and the time to relax. Otherwise, why bother?

Wingnut
01-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Last piece of advice, the half dozen or so Butts I caught were when I had cast out to a "fishy" spot, but was not even thinking that I would catch anything. I was either thinking about life or looking up at the sky...The good Lord has blessed us with alot more than just fishing and I think that we should not be so narrow-minded or carry a single focus when fishing. Enjoy the environment and the time to relax. Otherwise, why bother?

Ahhh... somebody that gets it. :Thumbs Up:

Homefish
01-24-2013, 01:00 PM
Right on Skunked4life, right on!
There's a song I really like, that I think anyone, especially anyone w/kids, that surf fish's would like. It's by Aaron Lewis, it's called- Endless Summer. Check it out.

bachiboy
01-26-2013, 07:33 PM
S4L put it in the right perspective. Enjoy the time you have out there. The pressure of HAVING to catch that flattie will take the fun out of it. Also, if you stay persistent, you WILL score that flattie eventually, and it'll all be worth it. If it came really easy, would you really appreciate the magnitude of the accomplishment?:Wink:

Keep it up...and enjoy the challenge!
Don

smokehound
01-26-2013, 07:38 PM
Have you tried using 3" grubs? Those will catch ANY saltwater fish with a mouth big enough to grab them.

Lightline
01-26-2013, 08:38 PM
The lakes are dead too, at let the ones I've ventured to.

Just think of it as practice.

Im getting my stuff ready for spring.

Wreched
01-26-2013, 11:01 PM
I hate to say this, but if it were that easy, who wouldn't go fishing for halibut?

It took me 10 months of surf fishing for me to catch my first surf Butt. My second came the next day and was legal. Then, I suffered a 3 month drought. What I am trying to say is Halibut is like the bullseye on a dart board and perch are like the rest of the board. Getting a bullseye is rare (unless you are a pro) whereas hitting the board anywhere is common. What too is common is that sometimes, you will miss the board completely.

As to your perception that alot of people are catching halibut per the forum posts, no. That is the farthest thing from the truth. If we were all to go fishing every day and post a report every day, you would see that most of us are in the same boat as you. I used to post pictures of perch all the time because of how proud I was to have caught fish. Now, I hardly post a report unless it will give others intel or unless it is of a PB or Butt.

Don't give up. That is all I have to say and it is the single greatest piece of advice that Arthur, Dan, Robert, Thien, Daniel, Don and anyone else who has more experience has told me. It will happen if you keep trying but if you give up, well then, it will never happen.

First of off first things first THANK YOU ALL FOR THE SUPPORT!!!!! My g/f and I have been hitting the surf every weekend or chance we get, never hurts to live 15 mins away from the beach :Big Grin: just got back this morning and caught some BSP 13inchers (guesstamtion) she killed with 4 landed and my 1 hahahah but you all are right patience, persistence will pay off and believe me just being out on the surf with my girl is a joy in itself especially when I look across the shore and my girl landing a fish yelling " yaaaa I gots a bigun (Texan)" hahah. Will try again tomorrow maybe.

I've been thinking bout switching my current rig. Right now I have a 7' ugly stik medium action with a shimano sienna 4000 (needed the reel for a quick outing) with 10lb pline. Am thinking about purchasing an 8'6 medium action ugly stik with a shimano 2500 reel. I was just wanting some opinions on here and or suggestions, I have the rod set but the reel is my conundrum as of yet. Can that land a good size fish from the surf? Also I've heard if you have a bigger spool you can cast further? The reason for the 2500 just to keep my tackle light as possible because I'm noticing a little fatigue from multiple cast in a given point. My budget is 100-120 more like 100 if possible. Thanks again guys and happy fishing!

skunked4life
01-26-2013, 11:55 PM
The reel is fine. The sienna was my first surf reel. IMO, if you are using a spinning set up, 3000 size is plenty big and 2500 is ideal. You gotta understand that these are surf fish, not deep sea. The fish, even halibut, will come right up to the surf to feed. If you read the SWAT reports, those guys pull up a wider variety of fish from the surf than anyone i have seen.

As to the rod, ugly sticks are a good cheap alternative but a little flimsy for my taste. Even my personal weapon of choice, the shimano crucial, may be a little on the loght side, but i like a light set up. If i venture outside the shimano realm, my next rod will be a phenix or e21.

Lastly, 10lb is the heaviest i have personally gone for the surf for flouro or mono. I personally fish 15 pound braid right now but my spinning set ups are 15 pound braid with 8 pound top shots of flouro.

Dont need to go overboard and break the bank to have fun.

P.S. you have truly been blessed with a gf that will fish with you. Remember, even though the scripture says women submit to your husbands, the very next verse is men love yur wives as the lord loved you. Take good care of her! She is a keeper!!!

Wreched
01-27-2013, 11:50 AM
The reel is fine. The sienna was my first surf reel. IMO, if you are using a spinning set up, 3000 size is plenty big and 2500 is ideal. You gotta understand that these are surf fish, not deep sea. The fish, even halibut, will come right up to the surf to feed. If you read the SWAT reports, those guys pull up a wider variety of fish from the surf than anyone i have seen.

As to the rod, ugly sticks are a good cheap alternative but a little flimsy for my taste. Even my personal weapon of choice, the shimano crucial, may be a little on the loght side, but i like a light set up. If i venture outside the shimano realm, my next rod will be a phenix or e21.

Lastly, 10lb is the heaviest i have personally gone for the surf for flouro or mono. I personally fish 15 pound braid right now but my spinning set ups are 15 pound braid with 8 pound top shots of flouro.

Dont need to go overboard and break the bank to have fun.

P.S. you have truly been blessed with a gf that will fish with you. Remember, even though the scripture says women submit to your husbands, the very next verse is men love yur wives as the lord loved you. Take good care of her! She is a keeper!!!

Hey skunk thanks for the input!!! I truly appreciate it. One question that seems always to be the talk spin cast or bait cast? I was looking at the low pro abu Garcia stx but wasn't to sure, would the reel of choice be an actual significance to the distance of cast? As for spin cast I've narrowed my decision to shimano Sedona spheros or seymetre. But kind of thinking bout bait cast due to casting distance.

skunked4life
01-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Again, how far you need to cast? What are you fishing for?

I use a chronarch and when i throw the lc, i am casting just about 30 to 40 yards. When i fish the spinning gear with a c-rig, i am using 1/2 to 3/4 ounce egg sinkers but i still catch the majority of my fish right at the first set of breakers. The size of spool dictates how much line capacity, so the question is a little confusing. Stick with a 2500 series reel. The sedona is a good solid choice.

Wreched
01-27-2013, 09:29 PM
Again, how far you need to cast? What are you fishing for?

I use a chronarch and when i throw the lc, i am casting just about 30 to 40 yards. When i fish the spinning gear with a c-rig, i am using 1/2 to 3/4 ounce egg sinkers but i still catch the majority of my fish right at the first set of breakers. The size of spool dictates how much line capacity, so the question is a little confusing. Stick with a 2500 series reel. The sedona is a good solid choice.

What im fishing for or trying to catch is a butt I am pretty sure I can cast out 30 to 40 with my new rod :Big Grin: I have a couple of LC's now, I just purchased the Sedona 2500 returned my Sienna, 30 dollar difference well worth it. Now all I need now is just my Rod which comes in this week. wooohoo. Ok 30 to 40 its is!!!!

skunked4life
01-27-2013, 10:31 PM
Great to hear. The lc is a suspension crankbait and it performs optimally in just a couple of feet of water. From my experience and research. Good luck!

Wreched
01-28-2013, 12:18 AM
Great to hear. The lc is a suspension crankbait and it performs optimally in just a couple of feet of water. From my experience and research. Good luck!

This a total off topic subject but how does one tie their LC? Direct or snap swivel with leader line?

skunked4life
01-28-2013, 07:18 AM
personally, I tie on directly to braid. used to go with a swivel for speed and ease of switching out to another color of LC, but I am pretty convinced that all colors work on the LC most of the time. I travel light and only carry one back-up LC, one rod, tape measure, pliers, knife and license. This forces me not to give up on the LC and also forces me to make better use of my time by targetting structure instead of just casting anywhere. Without the crack, grubs or other lures/baits, it limits me greatly, but the reward has been 2 legal butts from the surf, 2 butts that were one-inch short, 2 really short butts, and some toad perch.

Wreched
01-28-2013, 02:35 PM
personally, I tie on directly to braid. used to go with a swivel for speed and ease of switching out to another color of LC, but I am pretty convinced that all colors work on the LC most of the time. I travel light and only carry one back-up LC, one rod, tape measure, pliers, knife and license. This forces me not to give up on the LC and also forces me to make better use of my time by targetting structure instead of just casting anywhere. Without the crack, grubs or other lures/baits, it limits me greatly, but the reward has been 2 legal butts from the surf, 2 butts that were one-inch short, 2 really short butts, and some toad perch.

Hey skunked,

just want to thank you for all the quick replys and tips!!! I think thats why i need to do is just lock it up and start casting towards that jetty, my rod is coming this week so im looking to cast 30 to 40, going to switch out to braid as well since the cost is significant as i will be needing to change out my fluro come next trip. Thanks again