PDA

View Full Version : Lake Skinner Striper Info please !!!!!

Hunter Of Fish
01-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Hello everyone! I am new to this site . I was a regular 3 to 4 days a week fisherman at Lake skinner up in till two years ago when I left for Yuba City to
tend to my ailing Father . Some of you guys who fished Skinner back around 1998 would remember my dark green 16 foot John boat with a flying tigers style
Shark Tooth mouth and eyes painted on the bow and off road lights mounted on a rollbar looking mount at the transom . I fished Skinner almost daily for two years during that period. as I recovered from a bad motorcycle accident much of it with a cast on each leg . Many thanks to those that helped me launch my boat when i could not do it my self if you happen to have made it here ! Anyways I am back in Murrieta and went out with my five year old Son last Saturday only to get skunked by the Stripers . We did get some trout but my boy really wants to catch his first Striped Bass . I know this time of year is hard fishing but am hoping for some wisdom on how to fish
this time of year . I have been reading the other threads, but am looking for some current info on both casting and trolling lures . Maybe also some bait
and wait rigging , bait choices and tricks . I have the LEAST experience in the bait fishing methods .

I use to do very well slaying Stripers at skinner on home made white horse hair jigs made from my horses tail . Topwater plugs and hard and soft baits.
I also have used my Fly Rods there and have done well . I have just found out about the U-rigs and have bought both trolling and casting versions .
I am going to heat up the lead and maybe the mig welder when I need more of those, or want to try some different mods on that rigging. Those were pricey at the Temecula Fishing Shop . $20.00 plus for casting versions yikes. It must be downright painful to lose these things . I am happiest when I catch fish on
something I have made so I am done buying those things!

I have a 14 foot flat bottom Aluminum boat equipted with Fish Finders , Down Riggers etc. I have a bait tank and have an umbrella net as well as a dip net
with a 15' extending handle to make bait . I usually watch for the birds to tell me where the shad are . By the way are Umbrella nets still legal in So Cal, lakes?
I know I cant use my throw net.

Some cold water teqniques would be mighty helpful . Normally I would just research online and keep hitting the lake until I keyed in on what and how makes
the fish I am hunting bite. Things have changed for me, now that my 5 year old boy became a fisherman too last week. So I have to use ALL the resources available to me now to do my best to teach him well and increase our abilities to catch what we are after .
By the way if anyone thinks DVL would be better this time of year do tell . In my mind Skinner being smaller should be easier to relearn and fish.
Thanks!
Hunter of Fish

JAG107
01-14-2013, 07:34 PM
Skinner stripers change daily. As of late they have been found deep, so gear up those downriggers. Also, you will need a 4 stroke motor or direct injected 2 stroke, don't know if those were the regs last time you launched there.

Hunter Of Fish
01-15-2013, 02:20 AM
Hi and thanks for the reply . Copy on the down rigging . I picked up a four stroke motor a few months ago . I AM bummed
that I can not run my two strokes there . I will keep them stored and ready for Salmon chasing trips!

Bass-N-Fever
01-15-2013, 11:49 AM
I would also recommend asking PAW. if you need more info on that lake. he normally fishes that lake once or twice a week & knows what he is doing. his reports always pumps me up when I read it. if you scroll down the pages you see some of his old reports.

P.A.W.
01-15-2013, 04:55 PM
Ha! I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I'm just one of a group of regulars out there. In fact I got skunked last Saturday for a 1/2 day of fishing. Marked a few smaller schools deep but no takers even with the downrig and my "proven" color assortment. It's just plain tough right now. As JAG said the place changes on a dime so this comming warm weekend might be a whole new ballgame.

P.A.W.
01-15-2013, 05:27 PM
HOF, the techniques you mention all still work at Skinner. Stripers are still stripers. The haven't evolved some new behaviors. You've fished that place enough to know how fickle it can be. Also that period you mention was kind of a legendary striper period. It died out for a while, well sort of. We are in a funk right now, but just keep at 'em. I haven't seen a boil for a couple of months but I still keep a topwater laying on my deck just in case.

Hunter Of Fish
01-16-2013, 02:46 AM
Ok , thanks everyone for the replies we will be back out there Saturday .I was told last weekend there will be a Friday trout
stocking as the front kiosk ladies gave us our post launch quaggi. I looked on the DFG site saw no mention of it so maybe
it's a county plant?