PDA

View Full Version : Quagga Lakes?

flyhigh123
01-14-2013, 02:49 PM
What lakes have Quagga mussels?

Looking at the DFG website, it said that Lake matthews has Quaggas. Is that why that lake cannot support a fish population? It also said that Irvine lake has quaggas. maybe we can make a list of lakes so we know which lakes to be extra careful about.

DFG states the following:
Lake Matthews
Lake Skinner
Irvine Lake

DMS
01-14-2013, 04:47 PM
I think Lake Matthews probably has plenty of fish. I think it is closed for other political and quasi-political reasons. They say that Quaggas/Zebras negatively impact the fishery, but how much in reality this is true is probably not capable of being demonstrated. Seems there are plenty of fish in lakes with plenty of Quagga/Zebras.
I believe they are truly a big problem with the water works and related equipment and that is probably the big reason that there is so much concern over them.
DMS

seal
01-14-2013, 07:14 PM
I'd say many more that aren't "official" but just a guess, seems funny how some have dodged the bullet yet others are positive, who know's?

fishfinder
01-14-2013, 10:27 PM
i heard that the aquadct has tested positive for them.

goodguy
01-15-2013, 07:34 AM
The big issue with the mussels is that it gets in pipes and valves and ruins them. It's more of a water district issue than it is a fish issue...

drifter023
01-15-2013, 10:15 AM
The big issue with the mussels is that it gets in pipes and valves and ruins them. It's more of a water district issue than it is a fish issue...

This true but also heard but I do not know if true or not, that they filter the water so good that it hurts the shad population plankton eaters.
We fish Havasu alot and have noticed the shad numbers have been way down the last few years.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/01drifter/mussels.jpg

goodguy
01-16-2013, 01:03 PM
This true but also heard but I do not know if true or not, that they filter the water so good that it hurts the shad population plankton eaters.
We fish Havasu alot and have noticed the shad numbers have been way down the last few years.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/01drifter/mussels.jpg

Also true... but honestly I can't imagine the water district being concerned about the shad. But more about their expensive equipment being ruined...

drifter023
01-16-2013, 06:14 PM
I think Lake Matthews probably has plenty of fish. I think it is closed for other political and quasi-political reasons. They say that Quaggas/Zebras negatively impact the fishery, but how much in reality this is true is probably not capable of being demonstrated. Seems there are plenty of fish in lakes with plenty of Quagga/Zebras.
DMS

goodguy that is also true but this is what my reply was for the shad in Havasu are not what they use to be. Plus the stripers you now catch are much bigger. But the little ones are no where to be found like they where before would take the kids out chum in certin coves and the could catch them till they got tired. Like I said I am not a expert on the subject just reporting what I have seen do fish Havasu a lot for a lot of years...