PDA

View Full Version : Need help... I am planning to buy a boat but...

ronniek524
09-05-2007, 04:41 PM
I think I need a truck to hook the trailer :(... Do you guys think I could deal with a small car? I currently have a Lexus GS400 98... planning to buy a tahoe or a tracker bass boat :(. Otherwise I might have to wait for the boat to get the new truck :(, and then next year buy the boat :(. Thnx in advvance.

hookemdano
09-05-2007, 05:49 PM
I don't have any experience pulling with a car, but I'm thinking you might have problems from time to time spinning your tires at some ramps, not to mention that you'll probably have to dip the rear end in the water - not a good thing to do over time. Do you have a friend that likes to fish that could pull it for you for a year or so? Maybe someone else can chime in.

Good luck.

vanillagurilla
09-05-2007, 06:03 PM
i pulled my 12 foot valco with my 88 lincoln mark 7, and my dad pulled it with his 2003 mach 1.

Brad100
09-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Hey - another reason to haul with a truck is when launching, you can often hop from the truck's tailgate onto the boat, thus avoiding getting wet. When you load, hop from the boat to the truck, etc.....

Good luck with the new boat and truck!!!

Z-TUNAKILLER
09-05-2007, 09:37 PM
hey now ronniek524, my azzhole brother pulled his 18' ski boat with a 1999 GS400. look at your owners manual, see what the tow and tongue weight capacities are for your car, before you buy a truck.

it is a V8 ?

Z

FISH ON !

ronniek524
09-06-2007, 04:12 AM
hey now ronniek524, my azzhole brother pulled his 18' ski boat with a 1999 GS400. look at your owners manual, see what the tow and tongue weight capacities are for your car, before you buy a truck.

it is a V8 ?

Z

FISH ON !

Yep it is a v8 :)...

Thnx all, I guess I gotta get the truck afterall :( But I'll check my owner's manual. I really apreciate all the help... I wasn't into fishing till this couple months :).

tight lines !

ART HILL
09-06-2007, 04:10 PM
You should be able to handle the Tracker with no problems at all. I pull my Champion with my GMC Jimmy. It has the 6 cylinder engine, and it has no problem at all pulling the boat out of the lake. And my local lake, DVL, has a steep launch ramp.

Daryl
09-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Trucks typically have better rear suspension and different gearing designed for pulling or carrying heavier loads.

Ronira
09-08-2007, 04:41 AM
Probably be buying a new transmission or rearend gear for your car if you haul a lot. Might be able to do it but I wouldn't. Buy a cheaper used truck, there's a lot of them available since gas prices went up. My :2cents:

Cap'n Ron
10-23-2007, 06:31 AM
ronniek524 ,
I have a great lil' truck that will tow that boat. It's for sale. It's set up to tow. I hauled my 17fter with no problems. When I bought the Shamrock, I quickly figured out that this one would not do the job. Had to go out and buy a doggone K3500 dually, 6.5 Banks Turbo.

Cap'n Ron

hook1fred
10-23-2007, 05:39 PM
Its not the size of the engine, you can pull my ranger z21 with a V6. Its wheelbase and braking.....if your towing your boat and some knucklehead cuts you off your small brakes are gonna struggle to stop your car and the additional 2500 pounds of boat/trailer/tackle, you'll be endangering yourself and everyone else on the road. A longer wheelbase helps for handling turns on a twisty road or defensive driving......also the additional weight is a big issue for the same reasons

E man
10-24-2007, 10:29 PM
ronniek524 ,
I have a great lil' truck that will tow that boat. It's for sale. It's set up to tow. I hauled my 17fter with no problems. When I bought the Shamrock, I quickly figured out that this one would not do the job. Had to go out and buy a doggone K3500 dually, 6.5 Banks Turbo.

Cap'n Ron

Sweet ride. How much you selling her for?

breeze71
10-25-2007, 10:37 AM
Its not the size of the engine, you can pull my ranger z21 with a V6. Its wheelbase and braking.....if your towing your boat and some knucklehead cuts you off your small brakes are gonna struggle to stop your car and the additional 2500 pounds of boat/trailer/tackle, you'll be endangering yourself and everyone else on the road. A longer wheelbase helps for handling turns on a twisty road or defensive driving......also the additional weight is a big issue for the same reasons

This is the best advise anyone could have given you ronniek524!

Cap'n Ron
10-29-2007, 08:02 AM
Eman
pm sent