PDA

View Full Version : Good Crappie baits

ANGLER-IN-TRAINING
01-13-2013, 09:30 PM
I have been doing some research and plan to catch some crappie this year. Now, I normally, bait n wait with a nightcrawler because its a universal bait, but I have read nightcrawlers are no good for crappie.

Any suggestions on other baits? and even artificials?

Mike

angelsfan951
01-13-2013, 09:34 PM
ive done good on jigs or trout magnets.

PilgrimDG
01-14-2013, 02:06 PM
In my experience, crappie want to chase something, which might explain why flies and jigs are popular. Small wooly buggers are often productive. Or you can buy crappie nibbles, but I've never tried them. Catching crappie is mostly about timing. Early June in much of SoCal.

the killa fish taco
01-14-2013, 02:15 PM
Try slab jiggies... Been killing trout and crappies. http://www.slabjiggies.com/

fishermanx14
01-14-2013, 02:28 PM
wax worms, meal worms.....spinners, marabo jigs, road runners, etc...go to basspro.com and click on sof plastic lures and check the box for "crappie/panfish"

ANGLER-IN-TRAINING
01-25-2013, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the info, guys.

formosa
01-27-2013, 07:22 PM
Try slab jiggies... Been killing trout and crappies. http://www.slabjiggies.com/

Chris been making those jiggies for me to fish slabs for a few years. he can make any colors you order.
it's a killer for crappie, blue gill and trout.

crappiemike
01-27-2013, 08:43 PM
I like using curly tails on the
Retrieve, straight tails under
The bobber.......

Depth depth depth'

Cm

RTG
01-30-2013, 11:28 AM
It mostly about timing. Hit the right lake at the right time and they're easy to catch. That means March through June at most So Cal lakes. You want to practice catching crappies? Go to Lake Gregory starting around April. Fish 1/64 oz. plastic mini jigs, and use 2# test line. Good colors are white, red/white, yellow/white and green patterns. Start around the rocks in the cove by the dam. Granted, most of them are tiny, but every once in a while you can catch "keepers". There's no minimum size and the limit is 25. It's a good lake to get started on crappies. Then keep an eye on Silverwood. It used to be a "killer" crappie lake, then they just disappeared. The last couple of years has seen them starting to come back. Some big slabs caught last season there. Good luck!

Hunter Of Fish
01-31-2013, 03:01 PM
Elsinore has some big Crappie as well as Lake Skinner. Then there is Corona lake also.