PDA

View Full Version : Malibu pier and surf 1/13/13 noob help!

blakeb
01-13-2013, 12:49 PM
I'm mainly a freshwater fisherman but I live in malibu so I figured I try not to sure what to do out there any help would be awesome, today I got skunked drop shotted some worms but no hits and then hit the pier with some anchovies still no luck. Good part of the trip was seeing a good 35+ halibut swim right past the surf while on the pier in the shallows probably about 10-15 feet of water anyways any tips would be appreciated thanks guys!

connordoyle
01-13-2013, 01:44 PM
I'm mainly a freshwater fisherman but I live in malibu so I figured I try not to sure what to do out there any help would be awesome, today I got skunked drop shotted some worms but no hits and then hit the pier with some anchovies still no luck. Good part of the trip was seeing a good 35+ halibut swim right past the surf while on the pier in the shallows probably about 10-15 feet of water anyways any tips would be appreciated thanks guys!

Sorry in advance if you're already aware of any of this! For the surf, a gulp 2" camo sandworm (aka Crack) on a carolina right with a 4-6 size hook with almost always produce if you fan cast a good stretch of beach, I usually use that to find the fish and if the bite is really on i'll throw some sort of minnow hard bait, (lucky craft being the best) to filter out the small ones and target a wider variety of fish. And on the pier I usually bring at least a 2 rod set up, One sabiki rig to find the bait and a one to soak the bait on the bottom. There's usually always at least one spot on the pier where the sabiki will produce ya just have to find it.

blakeb
01-13-2013, 01:59 PM
Sorry in advance if you're already aware of any of this! For the surf, a gulp 2" camo sandworm (aka Crack) on a carolina right with a 4-6 size hook with almost always produce if you fan cast a good stretch of beach, I usually use that to find the fish and if the bite is really on i'll throw some sort of minnow hard bait, (lucky craft being the best) to filter out the small ones and target a wider variety of fish. And on the pier I usually bring at least a 2 rod set up, One sabiki rig to find the bait and a one to soak the bait on the bottom. There's usually always at least one spot on the pier where the sabiki will produce ya just have to find it.

Thanks man ya it's a lot different then fresh water that's for sure do I just dead stick the camo worm ?

connordoyle
01-13-2013, 03:06 PM
Thanks man ya it's a lot different then fresh water that's for sure do I just dead stick the camo worm ?

I usually just try to find the hole, and where the tide is taking everything. I cast out just past the breakers and SLOWLY drag it in until you feel a tap then keep casting to where you got the tap until you land some fish. I'm pretty new to surf fishing as well so the camo worm is usually a fail safe for guys like me who havent really mastered reading the surf yet. When the bite is wide open, (usually for me as as the high tide is just starting to recede) i'll get sick of pulling in tiny bsp who are usually swallowing the bait so i throw the hard bait and target the big boys. Last week caught some 12-14" ers on the hard bait. The bite seems to completely shut off for me a few hours after high tide as well. I'll try to get there just before high tide and fish till low tide.

City Dad
01-13-2013, 04:15 PM
CLICK HERE (http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?14334-Surf-Fishing-101-The-Basics)

Jaysuuun
01-14-2013, 02:36 AM
Try Carolina rigging the crack or a grub and cast just past the breakers. I prefer a grub over crack because it has a little more action. Reel just fast enough to keep the line tight. Also if your not getting bit, keep walking and look holes to cast into.

blakeb
01-14-2013, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the help guys ill be heading out tomorow how long should I make my Leader the water is very clear at times so not sure the surf is decently small this week a Foot maybe 2 except today is severe winds so waiting for tomorow morning
If anyone lives up here this way let me know I would love to meet up an hit the water I fish solo

connordoyle
01-14-2013, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the help guys ill be heading out tomorow how long should I make my Leader the water is very clear at times so not sure the surf is decently small this week a Foot maybe 2 except today is severe winds so waiting for tomorow morning
If anyone lives up here this way let me know I would love to meet up an hit the water I fish solo

I always do 18" of flourocarbon.

SP Dan
01-14-2013, 07:21 PM
Hi ya blakeb,

You've been given some very good knowledge by the FNN members, have yourself some fun using it!
Good luck out there soldier and I'm looking forward to your future reports and to reading about many of your catches!

SP Dan <"))><

Wingnut
01-14-2013, 07:38 PM
Read, do a lot of research and try and try again...
You will find success soon. :Wink:

blakeb
01-14-2013, 08:29 PM
Thanks guys appreciate all the tips so far. I have a question I want to try out those lc's any recommendations on color or type also how do u fish them fast? Slow retrieve? Any tips would help on that

SP Dan
01-14-2013, 09:07 PM
Hi ya blakeb,

Try to use natural bait colors at first .....just to get a feel. Soon....you will be like the rest of us.....lure poor! Ha ha ha!! :ROFL:
Use the LC 110 Flash-minnows.....I happen to prefer the lures with a dark back "black, blue or green".

All of the mentioned retrievals are correct.....switch em' up, try fast, medium and then slow. I some times use a continuous slow retrieval.
Fish can be moody! :Wink:
If you feel a bump or a hit on the retrieval.......continue to fan cast in that area of the bump and repeat your method of retrieval. Patience!

I favor two to three medium fast full cranks with a tip twitch at the end....followed by a one second pause...repeat!
It's all meant to entice the fish into a strike! :Thumbs Up: There's no wrong! Just have fun! :Wink:

Good luck soldier!

SP Dan <"))><

peanutbutter
01-14-2013, 09:12 PM
if the surf is up use a slightly shorter leader if surf is calm use a slightly longer leader just my .02

blakeb
01-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Thanks Dan I really appreciate it. The surf has been pretty small lately I just want to hook up one time haha maybe catch y first legal halibut after I saw that tank I'm determined to also just throw the lc by its self or any wait is 6 pound test to heavy or light?

SP Dan
01-15-2013, 06:10 AM
I've been told that 14 - 15 lb test line while throwing LC's is a recommended minimum. I use green 55 lb Samurai braided line while throwing the LC and I use 15 lb Fluorocarbon when I Drop Shot.
When I C-rig, I prefer 6 lb Fluorocarbon.
I hope that this was helpful. :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

murrieta angler
01-15-2013, 08:34 AM
You gave it a good attempt Blake,
That is the most important thing.
The water is supposed to be really good this week and we are supposed to get a little heat, so be ready when that rod tip bends...:Big Grin:
You will figure out your retrieval speed that is suited for your rod.
As far as the line goes, I use 8-12 pound P-Line CXX. It is strong enough if you hook up to a large fish.
Good Luck and keep it up,
Robert
<><