PDA

View Full Version : Sad day at LNL 1/12

Rot8
01-13-2013, 07:21 AM
It is so sad to see what has happened at LNL this year. There are no crowds and no fish. We got there at 5:50 am on a Saturday and was the 8th car in line. In the old days I would have been wrapped around the back parking lot. The ranger wasn't even there to check us in. They just allowed the pay gate to regulate customers because it wasn't busy enough.

Zone 3 was empty the entire day and Zone 2 was fished with maybe one or two fished caught there the entire time I was there. I fished until 1pm and caught one in Zone 1. Those who did fish on shore that day, probably will not return because of the lack of fish. There were probably 5 fish taken from entire shoreline. I saw one boat who brought back 5 between two fishermen and some float tubers who caught one or two in the deep end.

Another indicator of bad times is the workers don't even patrol the shore lines. Remember the good times when they would stripe your sticker the instant you caught a fish? No one even checked for stickers. I think they already know that you will be lucky to catch one or two.

It is too bad because this used to be a great place to fish. It is a ghost town of itself now. I am sure the word is getting out. I will be heading to Irvine from now on because at least there you have a chance to catch fish or will at least witness others doing so.

Good luck everyone.

jaggerbub
01-13-2013, 08:46 AM
Big difference from last year for sure. Huge toads were caught almost daily and it was wfo all day long after the weekly plants going into the weekends. They planted twice on some weeks as well last year. The staffer would walk around and you would hear them on the walkie talkie saying "live one in zone........". This year has been the complete opposite. Hope it turns around. I've always enjoyed Laguna in the past. Caught my toad there last season.

etucker1959
01-13-2013, 09:09 AM
Big difference from last year for sure. Huge toads were caught almost daily and it was wfo all day long after the weekly plants going into the weekends. They planted twice on some weeks as well last year. The staffer would walk around and you would hear them on the walkie talkie saying "live one in zone........". This year has been the complete opposite. Hope it turns around. I've always enjoyed Laguna in the past. Caught my toad there last season.

If they only stock Tailwalker's and Ruby Reds for the rest of the season, it will be quality vs quantity for the boat and float tubers only.

the dude
01-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Your right, It's a big difference from the last several years. I went on wed after the stock and I only saw 5 fish caught in zones 2,3 and 2 big ones in zone 1. I got the skunk along with a vast majority of shore fiserman. I saw a lot of boats at the dam I guess thats where the fish are at. I haven't seen a decent shore bite yet this season you really have to work all the zones and if your lucky you might catch a few fish. the few fish I have caught have been nice size fish but thats been a 8 hr day. Also I thought the same thing about them not patroling the shore for people catching fish! I hope it gets better before nobody wants to fish there anymore!

allanon
01-13-2013, 04:51 PM
It is so sad to see what has happened at LNL this year. There are no crowds and no fish. We got there at 5:50 am on a Saturday and was the 8th car in line. In the old days I would have been wrapped around the back parking lot. The ranger wasn't even there to check us in. They just allowed the pay gate to regulate customers because it wasn't busy enough.

Zone 3 was empty the entire day and Zone 2 was fished with maybe one or two fished caught there the entire time I was there. I fished until 1pm and caught one in Zone 1. Those who did fish on shore that day, probably will not return because of the lack of fish. There were probably 5 fish taken from entire shoreline. I saw one boat who brought back 5 between two fishermen and some float tubers who caught one or two in the deep end.

Another indicator of bad times is the workers don't even patrol the shore lines. Remember the good times when they would stripe your sticker the instant you caught a fish? No one even checked for stickers. I think they already know that you will be lucky to catch one or two.

It is too bad because this used to be a great place to fish. It is a ghost town of itself now. I am sure the word is getting out. I will be heading to Irvine from now on because at least there you have a chance to catch fish or will at least witness others doing so.

Good luck everyone.

Yes, I remember the days (just last season) when they would mark your pass with the sharpies after each fish. I used to fish the shore on Sundays and would often bring the family.
I also remember the walkie talkies all day with "Fresh one zone X, Fresh one zone Y" and the green electric carts going up and down the shoreline. I have noticed they don't do that this year as well.

Sorry to hear you had a slow day. I have been wondering what shore action has been like. I can't figure out why, but I don't see any action from shore when I fish there from a boat.
Thanks for the report.

Shewillbemine
01-14-2013, 07:48 PM
So if I say that my last trips I caught a 5 lb trout and 3.25 lb trout, and before that 6 bass (on lures) do I get to talk about how awesome the lake is?

I'm not sure having no crowds at any fishing spot is something to complain about.

BigBass777
01-14-2013, 08:10 PM
2,000lbs of Nebraska Tailwalkers won't be a whole lot of trout going into the lake because these fish are of quality size. Quality fish are much funner to catch vs the smaller 1lb fish. Sucks you had a slow day. Back in the day it was tough to get skunked at Laguna Niguel Lake from either boat or shore. The bite there was always good.

We receive Nebraska Tailwalkers at Lake Mission Viejo. Most of them average 2.5lbs and up. I'd rather catch Nebraska any day than the 1 to 2lb Mt. Lassen which we also stock.

Rot8
01-14-2013, 09:03 PM
So if I say that my last trips I caught a 5 lb trout and 3.25 lb trout, and before that 6 bass (on lures) do I get to talk about how awesome the lake is?

I'm not sure having no crowds at any fishing spot is something to complain about.

Well, you can post a new thread anytime you want. If you want to post how great a bass lake it is...so be it, but for trout, it is few and far between.

Rot8
01-14-2013, 09:08 PM
2,000lbs of Nebraska Tailwalkers won't be a whole lot of trout going into the lake because these fish are of quality size. Quality fish are much funner to catch vs the smaller 1lb fish. Sucks you had a slow day. Back in the day it was tough to get skunked at Laguna Niguel Lake from either boat or shore. The bite there was always good.

We receive Nebraska Tailwalkers at Lake Mission Viejo. Most of them average 2.5lbs and up. I'd rather catch Nebraska any day than the 1 to 2lb Mt. Lassen which we also stock.

I was told by a local that only a 1000 lbs went in last week. By the amount of fish that came out of the lake, I would tend to believe him. I walked the lake last Thursday afternoon and it was sketchy then too. Another person reported on Wednesday that it was slow also. If you are having more success let us know. I am pulling for LNL. I am a fan.

etucker1959
01-14-2013, 09:41 PM

No crowds at a pay lake starts a death spiral. When you have little or no crowds means no money to purchase fish. You can't purchase fish means less crowds, less crowds means you purchase even less fish etc etc etc. Eventualy the owner gives up, not a happy ending!!!

l2exllen
01-14-2013, 10:13 PM
It sucks to hear about LNL doing bad this year. Being a fan myself, I haven't even made it down there this year after hearing about all the things going on. I really hope it turns around from them because I've always had good experiences fishing there as well as the friendly staff.

the dude
01-15-2013, 07:53 AM
Thats a pretty fair assesment of the whole situation!
No crowds at a pay lake starts a death spiral. When you have little or no crowds means no money to purchase fish. You can't purchase fish means less crowds, less crowds means you purchase even less fish etc etc etc. Eventualy the owner gives up, not a happy ending!!!