PDA

View Full Version : Looking for heavy saltwater spinning rod combo less than 200, help please?

WAHBAM
01-13-2013, 01:34 AM
I just started taking fishing seriously this past November. Before that I had a kid's cheap uglystik combo & a medium action uglystik combo. I used it twice a year at Lake Hemet when I would go to my friend's cabin in Idyllwild and I barely catch anything. So now I have a new Sahara 1000 paired with an ultralight Daiwa Presso rod and a Quantum medium action rod.

As a resident of Long Beach I want to transition to saltwater fishing on the piers, jetty & even boats. I am planning to use that medium action uglystik I have for that, but I'm afraid that it's too light. Could someone recommend an awesome setup for less than 200 please? I am hoping to catch some Halibut, rockfish, & eventually to tuna & dorado if the setup works for it.

I was looking at this
http://www.amazon.com/Penn-Battle-4000-Combo-Reel/dp/B008JG4UQM/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1358068724&sr=1-4&keywords=penn+battle+combo

But then I also saw the new Penn Spinfisher V, but I have no idea which rod to pair it to yet & that kinda takes most of the budget...Thanks in advance!

Cadillyak
01-13-2013, 05:52 AM
Just a suggestion, save up another $100 and go for a shimano Terez rod an paid it with a shimano Ci4 4000,5000,8000. All depends on your preference. You can find this type of combo used for less too!

jaggerbub
01-13-2013, 08:31 AM
I also say save up some more money and buy a good setup if your intentions are to use it for bigger game as you have stated. I would keep an eye out for a gloomis pro blue spinning rod and a shimano thunnus ci4. I've seen the loomis rods sold used for around 150 on BD and the thunnus ci4 for about 150 as well on craigslist. This combo will serve you well for everything you are after. I keep this setup for my wife when she goes out with me . It's also pretty light paired up together and your arm will thank you for it. Spend your money right the first time and be done with it. This combo holds it's value well too should you decide to sell it later on. Good luck.

Cadillyak
01-13-2013, 09:48 PM
X2 on the Thunnus

WAHBAM
01-13-2013, 11:13 PM
Thank you guys! How many lbs should I be looking at for rods? Also I don't see the Thunnus on the shimano official website, did they discontinued it with something? I saw some Thunnus on ebay the other day & I thought it was fake haha. I see a new Thunnus is more expensive new than the new Stradic...

yodoc
01-14-2013, 11:43 AM
I have a balanced set-up for your needs/cost range: 1)Penn Battle 5000 (new in box) with full spool of #30 red braid, 2)extra new spool (suggest ~14 lb mono for fishing jetties), 3) 30 lb Seaguar fluorocarbon - 25yds, 4) New Penn Prevail Surf Casting Rod -10 ft, 2 piece. All for $190 / I'll throw in a Play Action Snap On Fighting Belt(excellent condition) for $200 total. You may contact me via email: yodoc@att.net
orange county. tight lines, doc

WAHBAM
01-15-2013, 09:12 AM
I have a balanced set-up for your needs/cost range: 1)Penn Battle 5000 (new in box) with full spool of #30 red braid, 2)extra new spool (suggest ~14 lb mono for fishing jetties), 3) 30 lb Seaguar fluorocarbon - 25yds, 4) New Penn Prevail Surf Casting Rod -10 ft, 2 piece. All for $190 / I'll throw in a Play Action Snap On Fighting Belt(excellent condition) for $200 total. You may contact me via email: yodoc@att.net
orange county. tight lines, doc

Thank you, sounds tempting. But I am going to save up get a reel with the live bait system.

yodoc
01-15-2013, 02:45 PM
Yeah Wahbam - have not tried to sell it yet and saw your ad; it's a fair price and would even come down some / this was part of a xmas gift and I ordered the rod to finish the set-up but it is too heavy for me (too old to go "big" or even on jetties anymore) / gonna stay with my 1/2 oz light casting along the beach / let me know if you change your mind / stay well & tight lines doc