PDA

View Full Version : Skunk-O-Monica 11, 2012

maxxxedout
01-12-2013, 10:41 PM
well, the title says it all..... i wasn't going to even try to write anything about it, but, INFORMATION IS POWEr... I though of how I could save some one the trip and skip this pear.... I'm not talking bad about the pier because in past seasons it has yield some lobsters and and occasional sculpin... but today..... after a year and change absence..... It felt like the pier are had been devastated by over fishing..... cause I have seldom seen absolutely no action at pier before.... a sort of ghost town.... I was in it initially to revisit Newport for some potential repeat perch, crabs, and giant squid... but change my plan because by brother wanted to join. So solely base on times of closure..( Newport 10pm to Santa Monica 24hrs) I change my pier session to one I hadn't been in about a year and half.... Santa Monica Pier.

Stopping for some squid jig and other small errands put me at the pier around 7:30 ( a 2 plus hr drive cause of traffic here and there, and because the Jurassic park Lakers where playing at home). I was being trifty on parking so I asked the parking meter pips that believe or not were still giving tickets about INTEL ON FREE PARKING.... in somewhat theses words "Free parking is available @ Ocean drive and Bay drive". Its a good half mile, but in this day of age that we seldom do what was expected of us in pre modern age.....WALK.... we walked.... the stroll to the pier was full with excitement and ........

....dreams of the big one.... like every Session we forth take.... we always remain positive regardless of the last outing....
We are here to experience it all, to paint our lives with successes and failures... because from it.... i think.... makes us "FEEL" Alive.

Santa Monica 11, 2013.....

http://imageshack.us/a/img402/183/atthepierjan2013003.jpg

Approaching the Santa Monica pier from the south allowed my wheeled wagon with 3 Promar Eclipse nets plus other gear to access the pier main top level. This approach lend to a modern scenic view of the pier with its grand neon lights and its glory. Pre-scouting parking prices had the main level parking at $12 and the secondary level at $8 (of which I would of had hard time climbing all the step with all the gear I had). Top layer closes early with the secondary layer closing at 2am.

temps in the low 50s and high 40s.... radio declaring some of the coldest weather since 2007.... but obviously not here... a blanket of partial clouds had what little heat radiate in the general area. There was a gust coming from what seem north west to south east.... all of which seem strongest mid pier.... but end of pier shielded some what from the robust structure there. Well lit ( from other years... the pier seems to have undergone a lighting upgrade) , we started fishing the lowest end of pier level along with 2 more fishermen to my right and another one to my left but in the upper level.

My Group consisted of my brother, his girlfriend, my family, and me.... of which only me and my brother take it for real. 3 hoop nets went in... baited with the season mackerel... old and stinky... and some beef that got freezer burnt...."my bad" i said to my wife, it was meant for jerky... oh well cant let anything go to waste. A pole with a squid rig went in and so did my brothers futile attempt for some fish.

Time lapse and a pesky seal in the area had the kids attention. An attempt to defuse the stalemate my brother reply, " how the hell do they stay warm in this cold weather"... replying back along the lines of that " look at the ones in Alaska..... this ain't noting". Short and simple... that damm seal ate all the beef in the bait cages and it even took one of the bait cages.....:Angry:.... As a gust of cold wind hit the temples of my face and cool me off .... I was reminded that our place here has only been brief and that this animal, however inconvenient, is only trying to stay alive.
A sport, a hobby.... cannot supersede our encounters with mother nature doing its will.

LOL.... let me wrap it up...beer wants to kick in ( BECKS Sapphire 6% ).... and I....need to..... get ..... another beer...

nahh ...jk...(<i think) ...It was horrible, no one catching anything... "oh the humanity".... only thing being caught that day where colds and the occasional questions of pips who had never fished. For some reason... other than moving like a surgeon ....with all my gear.... to strive for success, they kept addressing "me" for questions... some acting timid... some acting hardcore.."hey big dog"... for they saw this imposing yet gentle giant with finesse and authority assaulting the dark gray "wild blue yonder".

.................next time will be better.

http://imageshack.us/a/img152/2366/37615285.gif

maxxxedout
01-13-2013, 12:16 AM
ooops... my bad... time elapses so fast.... when u think u got it... its another year....

its 2013-not 2012... years go by fast.....

DockRat
01-13-2013, 06:52 AM
Heck of a report there, at least you didn't need ice.
DR

Jaysuuun
01-14-2013, 02:08 AM
Skunk happens unfortunately. But at least you spent some good quality time with the fam

SP Dan
01-14-2013, 06:41 PM
Hi ya maxxxedout,

Well, well....what can I say?!?
That was one heck of a fun read....even if it did end up with a skunk!
Thanx for the INTEL! :Thumbs Up:

Thanks for the session report with pick! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Wingnut
01-14-2013, 07:35 PM
Best Skunked report I've read in a long time... :Razz:
There's always the next time. :Wink:

murrieta angler
01-15-2013, 08:22 AM
At least you got out there and gave it a try...:Smile:
Have you tried checking the sites before you head out?
See where the action is at and then give it a shot.
It will increase your odds of getting on some fish...:Wink:
Take Care,
Robert
<><

bachiboy
01-15-2013, 11:20 AM
Now that was a great report, even though it was a striped session. Can't wait to hear from you again on your next outing...when you nail 'em!:Wink:

Go get 'em!!!
Don