PDA

View Full Version : Newport landing Squid trip 1/8/13

carlos carranza
01-09-2013, 01:42 PM
Wanted to take a friend fishing last night which was tuesday jan 8,2013, but didnt know where to go since i heard the squid fishing sucked on monday. Took a chance and went to newport landing. It turned out to be a really good night! We must of caught about 600-700 aquids. Nice sizes too. This was my first squid trip so we didn't really know what to expect but luckily i didn't get too dirty. I caught around 30 aquids but only kept 5. Squids were everywhere! didnt even have to let your rig sink down because they were coming up and attacking it. The only thing i didn't like was the cleaning!! :Confused:people had 30+ squids on their sacks! we seriously ony fished for an hour because we went down to dana point since the captain heard that the schools were down there. Even though we only fished for an hour, we still caught all of those squids. We got back around 1-1:30am or so... That was the only bad thing but other then that it was all good. All i can say is that the squids are here!

cklovetofish
01-09-2013, 03:08 PM
Wanted to take a friend fishing last night which was tuesday jan 8,2013, but didnt know where to go since i heard the squid fishing sucked on monday. Took a chance and went to newport landing. It turned out to be a really good night! We must of caught about 600-700 aquids. Nice sizes too. This was my first squid trip so we didn't really know what to expect but luckily i didn't get too dirty. I caught around 30 aquids but only kept 5. Squids were everywhere! didnt even have to let your rig sink down because they were coming up and attacking it. The only thing i didn't like was the cleaning!! :Confused:people had 30+ squids on their sacks! we seriously ony fished for an hour because we went down to dana point since the captain heard that the schools were down there. Even though we only fished for an hour, we still caught all of those squids. We got back around 1-1:30am or so... That was the only bad thing but other then that it was all good. All i can say is that the squids are here!

That's what I suspected. I just don't understand these captains when they know exactly where the fishing ground is. Saving gas = saving money is one thing. But with 70 people, they still want to d... around searching for something that is just maybe.
It's great to hearthat you guys caught what you came for. It was a good thing on my trip that we did not went wide open as 30 X 70 squid = 2100 = 5 hours cleaning minimum.

BALLERONBUDGET
01-10-2013, 08:39 AM
SKUNKFEST 1/9/12 NEWPORT BOATS! yup 3hr boatride to dana point with 15boats already there packed like dines....so close they almost drifting into each other.... 5 min fishing x3 spots.... ok lines up! WTF we all anxious to get lines wet and they pull outta there u gotta b kidding me.. long haul back 2hrs arrive 1230 . only 1o.c. boat caught and they were only forearm size the ones we cud see...... IF U LIKE LONG BOAT RIDES for $100 after fees/jigs/sax n jackpots/grub come aboard.. dont get me wrong squids in town but not consistent like last yr of 1week straight wideopen:Sad::Sad: wah wah wah ..... by the way shuddnt jackpot $$ be returned if no one catches didily....hmmmmmmmmmm?????

cklovetofish
01-10-2013, 09:34 AM
I totally agree with you on the long ride and Jack Pot money. Seems like all the WIDE OPEN squid are down in Dana Point, not in New Port. Even that, it is really ify. One day wide open, one day skunk. I predict today would be wide open, as yesterday was a zero take day. Wait, it is going to be tough out there today with all this wind.
If you guys still want to fish for squid, drive down Dana Point to avoid the 5 hours just for the boat ride. This way if you have no squid, you will get home a lot quicker.

JapanRon
01-17-2013, 03:49 PM
Hi carlos carranza,

Good for you. Enough Squid for the rest of your life !! :)

JapanRon