PDA

View Full Version : 1-7 New Port landing squid fishing

cklovetofish
01-08-2013, 04:09 PM
Got another email from NewPort landing on wide open squid, even with the skunk still riding on my shoulder spilling fume, my itch got over my senses. Got to the landing, damn, dejavu, full boat and the line for tickets is still long. To go or not to go. No go, then how do I scratch the itch!! Go, then I won't be home until 5 AM as to clean 1400~1600 squids if everyone got on squid when it is wide open it would take 4~5 hours just for cleaning. Oh, well, looks like it's going to be a red eye/overnight fishing trip. Call in sick as I get back plan.
Instead of going to the same spots that produced the squid the night before, captain decided to tour around North of harbor, exploring the squid. First stop, 200 ft down guys. What?? Again? Oh, well, everybody (72 AE) got their lines out, strong current, most people on my side got pull under the boat from the other side of the boat. Tangling, yelling, frustating. I myself, just jigging up and down at 20~30 ft. Bendo, after like 5 minutes. Not bad, maybe they are here after all. They will surface any minute now. Captain and everybody thought so. One here, one there. Just maybe 5 more squids on the boat after 30 minutes. Pull up, next stop.
Well, for the next 5-7 stop, very much same story, even at around the spots that the squids were biting the night before. I myself, did not get any more squid as the result.
At end of the trip, with only 35~40 squids total for all 72 AE, squid cleaning ended just in 30 minutes instead on 5 hours as expected. At least that is the bright sight.
So, if you are going out tonight for squid, don't expect too much OK. I hope you don't get skunk as half of my boat last night. Good luck.

DockRat
01-09-2013, 05:34 AM
Congrats on your squid.
Try the pier for a couple hours, you can cast off the beach too.
Last year my nephews buddy got one off the beach. They only fished about 20 min till they got kicked out at 10 pm.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?69835-NEWPORT-010713-perch-crabs-squid

DockRat
01-09-2013, 05:35 AM
Congrats on your squid.
Try the pier for a couple hours, you can cast off the beach too.
Last year my nephews buddy got one off the beach. They only fished about 20 min till they got kicked out at 10 pm.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?69835-NEWPORT-010713-perch-crabs-squid

JapanRon
01-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Hi cklovetofish,

Congrats. Don't get why so many are willing to fight the crowds for these things !!

JapanRon