PDA

View Full Version : NEWPORT 010713 perch, crabs, squid

maxxxedout
01-08-2013, 09:24 AM
January 7, 2013
Last day before the kids go back to school, and what better to take them to the pier to watch the sun set over the Newport Beach horizon. Temperatures was in the 50s and it was slightly windy. We hadn’t been to Newport pier in a while. The restaurant at the end of the pier had its lights off, now that I think of it, I heard it on the radio that this restaurant might be schedule to close. Good for us fisherman cause the traffic is reduced and we get the whole pier to ourselves. There must have been only about 10 or less total fisherman with almost all at the end of the pier.

I started my session around 5pm as the sun was setting out in the horizon silhouetting the islands in the distance. I started fishing close to the entrance gates of the pier for some surf perch. I somewhat had glance at FNN for what might potentially be biting so that’s why I decided to target some perch. I set of my rig with some small circle hooks baited with squid and a drop weight at the bottom. I tossed my setup to the south side of the pier along with the current and in about ten minutes we had one on. I let my son, Sebastian, reel up our first fish of 2013. I was a small perch of which Sebastian took a picture with. It wasn’t a keeper so back it went to be caught another day. Later on, 30 minutes later, we had yet another. This one was double the size of the other, around 11”. My wife reeled in the 2nd fish of the year. It was a keeper and although I was the one baiting and rigging everything, I didn’t mine the kids and my wife enjoying the fight of a fish on line.

http://imageshack.us/a/img12/9576/atthepierjan2013004.jpg

7pm came around and the action had died down (that’s if you call action two perch, hehehe). Took a walk at the end of the pier and saw some commotion over some large squids swimming around the pier. On the ride in, I had heard on the radio over monster squid in the waters of Dana Point and San Diego. So, I was surprise :EyePop::over us getting some action here in Newport. I gathered up the gear and the troops and went to join the rest at the end of the pier. I wasn’t equipped with a squid jig but sure had some glow sticks and some large hooks. I also had my hoop net and some mackerel pieces from last season to try for some crabbing. I swung the net at the end of the pier into the south side with little current activity. In the meantime, the guy next to me landed a large squid. He was happy as heck and mention that it was destine for calamari (took some pictures). 20 minutes had elapse and it was time for me to check my hoop net before the crabs eat my bait. Woot :Surprised:, the crabs where out but not all keepers. It was fun seeing the kids have fun picking up and throwing back what I thing are blue swimming crabs (someone please correct me on the type) and a big red.

http://imageshack.us/a/img849/8999/atthepierjan2013019.jpg

It was around 8:20 and the kids 1st day of school was on my mind so we started to pack. Two guys down from me, another large squid was taken while I was packing. The kids got to take a pic next to it just for kicks and size comparison. My make shift rig for squid didn’t attract anything. I had left my squid rig at home but notice that the size these squids where, my at home squid jig would have been too small. Note to self, buy a large one, calamari or bait for future fishing trips could had been on the agenda.

http://imageshack.us/a/img834/8677/atthepierjan2013027.jpg

Well, it had been the 1st outing for us of the year and the fishing/ crabbing /squid-ding bug had us hooked. A trip that was plan out of the blue 1 hours before we headed out had been a success in our eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh6ipKs6EBw

Who says there's no action on the pier?! Y'all come back ya hear:Farmer:
Hope you enjoyed and thanks.

Wingnut
01-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Happy New Year and welcome to FNN and that was a great first report. I really enjoyed it! :Thumbs Up:
Very cool seeing those big Squid in the area. :Shocked:
Need to add one of those to my new species list. :Envious:
Congrats on a very nice outing with the family. :Big Grin:

murrieta angler
01-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Welcome to the site!
Sounds like you had a great time with your family...:Smile:
You caught some fish, crab and gave a good effort on the squid.
FYI, when the squid are around the fish will book it out of there...:Neutral:
Look forward to your next report.
Take Care & Happy New Years,
Robert
<><

SP Dan
01-08-2013, 01:14 PM
Hi ya maxxxedout,

Welcome to the FNN site!

First of all ..... thank you for sharing your fishing session and all of the wonderful family memories with all of us!
Next.....an excellent variety pack of fish, Humboldt squid (almost) and crustaceans.....to say the least Sir! WTG!!
A very good 2013 outing with the family indeed!

Keep at it soldier and keep them fish reports a comin"! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

maxxxedout
01-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Thanks team S.W.A.T and FNN...

http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/CBSA/smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-014.gif

DockRat
01-09-2013, 05:21 AM
Thanks for the report and good job getting the kids out fishing.
DR

fishshep
01-09-2013, 08:51 AM
:Big Grin: Priceless first Pic of your happy son fishing !!!

Forever good memories of fishing with his Dad you gave him :Big Grin:

TUNAVIC
01-09-2013, 09:41 AM
That was a very informative pier excursion report,looks like you and your family had a great evening,Welcome to the site,and thanks for report and pics.

Cya Tuna Vic

bachiboy
01-11-2013, 06:32 PM
Nice pier outing with the family. Probably best not to bother with the smaller squid jigs, although the size of the one pictured is on the border of being too big. Bouncing them things on a boat will straighten the prongs, much less trying to haul them up the side of a pier.:Wink: Great report! Thanks for sharing!

Don

Natural Lefty
01-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Hello Max. I think I recognize your kids, and we met at Perris Lake about a year ago. :Big Grin: I am glad to see you are doing well. I haven't been to Perris Lake since sometime in November, I think, but my wife and I did go to Balboa Pier last Wednesday (January 9). That was actually my wife's idea and it was the first time I had gone fishing in about 3 weeks. Our fishing wasn't as good as yours, but we caught a good size female Sheep Crab ("Spider Crab") in the hoop net on chicken skin. It was so oblivious that it was still munching on the chicken when I got it onto the pier. Aside from that, we caught several starfish, a bunch of Xantu's Swimming Crabs (the little ones with the sharp points on the side) and a little Goby like fish in the net, and 5 Lizardfish on our poles. They bit on chicken skin too. We saw several people trying for squid after the sun went down, but no catching. Not much was biting overall, but we were lucky with the one Sheep Crab. Anyway, just to be fair that's how it went ... the fishing isn't always good for any of us. We were there from about 3 p.m. to 7:30 or something like that. We only kept the one Sheep Crab and kept the Lizardfish for future bait, and put everything else back. I wouldn't have kept the Sheep Crab either if it had eggs visible, but it didn't.

The guys who were fishing for squid were complaining about the poor fishing, too. Apparently, some showed up probably the same day you were at Newport Pier, but not since then.

FYI Max, The smaller crabs I see in the net are called "Slender Crab" and they are in the same family as the other rock crabs such as that Red Rock Crab. They don't grow very large, yet have the same size limit of 4 inches on them as the larger kinds, so they are almost always undersize. You might have caught some Xantu's Swimming Crabs, too, the little ones with the big claws and pointy sides. Blue Crab comes from the Atlantic Ocean, not from around here.

maxxxedout
01-14-2013, 12:13 PM
Hey Lefty, glad to hear that you and the Mrs are better. From doing a search a few weeks ago, from what I read you guys were going through some bad health times. Im super glad to hear you out there.
Thank you so much for the info on these crabs. I did some research on them but had come empty on it. The red crab in the pic was the largest on them all from that night. The others I have caught many of times in the past but didn't know the kind and limit. I have never seen them get that big and have purplish claws. Guess thoes are the slender crabs you mention. I tried Santa Monica this past weekend but came out empty. I often get spider crabs the size of a basketball there in the past but this time it was dead all around that the pier. No crabs or fish where being taken that chilly night. Don't know if a seal swimming around had anything to do with it.
As for Perris, yeah I haven't been out there since my year pass expired. Hate the fact that the price jump up and extra $45 on the poppy pass to $125. I probably will get it do to I have no option, its the closest lake to me. All the driving far to other lakes will eventually make for the difference I guess.
Well, my friend, glad to hear from you... and know that your family is in better health. Look forward to rondevu with you one of these days. :Big Grin:

Natural Lefty
01-15-2013, 03:12 PM
Thanks Max, and ditto. The health problem was that I got tonsilitis in early September just when the school year was beginning, and was sick the entire month. I kept teaching despite my illness, but not fishing. Since then, the fishing has been sporadic for a number of reasons. My dad is now an invalid with 24/7 very expensive care at home, and I have been asked to deal with that as well. My wife and I still need to get our 2013 fishing licenses, but Balboa where we went, doesn't require one, nor does Newport as I am sure you know. We took some photos of the spider crab, but they are still on the camera. Oh well. Those were definitely Slender Crabs, with the purplish claws. That is probably the best way to identify them -- the purplish ones!

We are considering going fishing either tomorrow, thursday or friday, maybe to Newport, but I want to get our licences and go freshwater even if the fishing isn't very good. I have Poppy Pass that is still good through this June, but yes, I think I did pay $125 for it.

Some better news: daughter Isabella got a job. She had been out of work for awhile, so we took her out to celebrate her new job yesterday.

I hope we can fish together one of these days too. :Smile: