PDA

View Full Version : El Dorado trout tips?

WAHBAM
01-08-2013, 01:20 AM
I am going to el dorado park on Wednesday & Friday to see if I can catch them stocking the lake. Could anyone offer some tips at this lake please? Last time I got skunk using power baiti. So I tried using rooster tails & they all got stuck on the bottom...

reelgurlzfish
01-08-2013, 05:42 AM
My advice, don't chase then trucks. Give the fish a chance to acclimate. Makes for a challenge. .... just saying....

FishDaddy
01-08-2013, 06:12 AM
Good to know....maybe i can sneak over there this week with the kids and get them their first fish.

All catch and release for us in the city lakes, and daddy won't be reeling any in, just helping.

All in favor of letting the fish acclimate, right after I throw them back in the water:Razz:

I'm guessing a Carolina rig with nightcrawler on one, and power bait on the other.

If memory serves me correctly, this is also the lake where the Osprey like to swoop in on the trout, so there are usually a large pack of photographers with papparazzi lenses on one side of the lake trying to get that bird grabbing a trout shothttp://www.google.com/search?q=el+dorado+park+osprey+trout+pic&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=d&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=vijsUP6BE-aIiAKB6IHADg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA&biw=1276&bih=684

Bassman1414
01-08-2013, 07:08 AM
Try drop shoting for the trout use a super light weight and a small hook. If you dead stick and twich it you should get hit. Make sure your bait has scent on it

WAHBAM
01-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Thanks everyone, yeah they have the bird paparazzi at this lake. Its annoying because they took up all the fishing spots I wanted. But I guess they could say the same thing about me taking up their spots :P

Yeah I waited a few days after the last stocking for them acclimate & everyone there got skunk that day haha

So I'm gonna give try Carolina rigs with the powerbait, power worms while I try jigging with a bobber. Any advice how long I should make the leaders?

I'll release whatever is lip hooked.

WAHBAM
01-09-2013, 03:04 PM
So I went today at 9 am & a few guys together caught 5 trout but let 2 small ones go.

My gf caught a decent size trout with battle scars all over with off sherbert powerbait & when it got to the cement the leader snapped.

Luckily I have quick reflexes so I was able to snatch it before he gained its energy back to swim out.

The lake wasn't stock today.

Cartman
01-09-2013, 03:15 PM
So I went today at 9 am & a few guys together caught 5 trout but let 2 small ones go.

My gf caught a decent size trout with battle scars all over with off sherbert powerbait & when it got to the cement the leader snapped.

Luckily I have quick reflexes so I was able to snatch it before he gained its energy back to swim out.

The lake wasn't stock today.

Fantastic report. What technique ended up being most effective for you?

WAHBAM
01-09-2013, 05:08 PM
The Carolina rig with an 1/8 oz slider slinker, I used 2 size 18 gold treble hooks. I did a dropper loop at 6 inch from the swivel & the end was a foot from that.

I forgot to add that sucker swallowed both hooks! Here's a picture of my girlie & her first fish while I got skunked...

BUSTER124
01-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Dropshot is the best and most effective way for me to catch trout. Using a palomar knot, I use a #8 red mosquito hook tied on with about 14" to 16" tag end. Then use a 1/8 drop shot weight or similar. For plastics, I like the grey with silver flake or white trout worm wacky rigged. And, add your favorite scent. Cast out about 20/30 feet from shore. Let hit bottom and little rod twitches while reeling in SLOWLY!!. More twitching than reeling.. Good luck..

Cartman
01-09-2013, 06:44 PM
The Carolina rig with an 1/8 oz slider slinker, I used 2 size 18 gold treble hooks. I did a dropper loop at 6 inch from the swivel & the end was a foot from that.

I forgot to add that sucker swallowed both hooks! Here's a picture of my girlie & her first fish while I got skunked...

Must've been mighty hungry fish. Very cute picture. You should have that monster mounted.

Read BUSTER124's post. Right on except maybe you can use a smaller hook.

WAHBAM
01-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Must've been mighty hungry fish. Very cute picture. You should have that monster mounted.

Read BUSTER124's post. Right on except maybe you can use a smaller hook.

Haha we ate it for lunch already ;P

Dropshot is the best and most effective way for me to catch trout. Using a palomar knot, I use a #8 red mosquito hook tied on with about 14" to 16" tag end. Then use a 1/8 drop shot weight or similar. For plastics, I like the grey with silver flake or white trout worm wacky rigged. And, add your favorite scent. Cast out about 20/30 feet from shore. Let hit bottom and little rod twitches while reeling in SLOWLY!!. More twitching than reeling.. Good luck..

Thanks, I am going back Friday to try that. So I put the dropshot on the end?

I need to pick up the red mosquito hooks, I got the the black ones size 10 & today I tried it with powerbait pink & orange trout worms but they didn't float very well even with bobbers. So I got skunked...

reelgurlzfish
01-12-2013, 03:17 PM
Went to eldo this morning...Skunked

WAHBAM
01-12-2013, 07:58 PM
Everyone on Friday morning including myself & the birds also got skunked.