PDA

View Full Version : Silverwood - 01/05/12, I almost got jacked!!

The Lone Fisherman
01-07-2013, 11:38 AM
I'm trying to be more active this year, Doctor's orders. I decided to fish the coves of the main lake since I knew there wouldn't be much traffic this time of the year. I paddled the kayak along the main channel hitting the point and coves till Outhouse Cove, got 3 casting a spoon and 1 trolling a crank, kept 2 on a stringer for dinner. I stopped at Sycamore landing to perform the morning ritual and when I came out I noticed that my kayak was not where I left it. "I GOT JACKED!! HOLY SHIIAATT!!" There were no boats around, no body and since my phone was in the kayak I couldn't call for help. I waited a few minutes for a boater to pass by, pacing back and forth but after 20 minutes, contemplated making a swim for it. Good thing I was wearing waders... I waded a few feet into the water and walked to a small cove and saw my kayak at the far side of the cove and it was moving away, slowly... Once I caught up to the kayak, I realized just what happened, Trout... When I landed for a break, I only dragged less than half of the kayak onto shore because of the urgency of my bowels and while I was away, the 2 trout on the stringer made a run for it. For their efforts, I released them. Paddled my way, trolling a crank along the shoreline to Live Oak Cove for another 5 trout. Paddled back before the sun dipped behind the mountain. It was a beautiful day to be on the water, wind gust up to 4 mph made for a much warmer day than last week.

DeeFeesha
01-07-2013, 11:46 AM
Were you on the tan colored tarpon? I was cruising on the hobie.

Great save however.

The Lone Fisherman
01-07-2013, 12:39 PM
What's up Bro, that was me on the Tarpon. Sorry for not speaking to you more, was trying to get into the cove to take a breather since my arms were about to fall off from paddling from the far end of Live Oak Cove. How did you do?

Fishbreath
01-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Sounds like a nice day and certainly the kayak provides a good workout. You many want to remember for the future that keeping live trout on a stringer attached to a boat is illegal

seal
01-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Sounds like a nice day and certainly the kayak provides a good workout. You many want to remember for the future that keeping live trout on a stringer attached to a boat is illegal

Fishbreath you do realize this is no different than a stringer hangning off a float tube or fishing from shore or etc....., I highly doubt a warden is going to call someone out for live trout when they are placed on a stringer, most trout will not last long on a stringer, in fact if he would have put his boat all the way to shore (I gotta learn from his mistake don't want to chase my kayak all over Silverwood!) those trout would have probably been belly up after his um break hell how many people you see using those baskets which keeps um alive forever they are supposed to be illegal also!

Speaking of breaks better not let the Rangers catch you taking a break in the open, friend of mine had his license run and stuff when a Ranger came around a corner and caught him taking a "break", he was worried he was going to be written up for indecent exposure or something, lol! No ticket issued.

Wish I would have gotten off my butt and yak'd, Saturday was a nice, calm and cool day up here.

vortec_cruiser
01-07-2013, 03:51 PM
Speaking of breaks better not let the Rangers catch you taking a break in the open, friend of mine had his license run and stuff when a Ranger came around a corner and caught him taking a "break", he was worried he was going to be written up for indecent exposure or something, lol! No ticket issued.
This is why you don't waders when tubing. :Big Grin:

Fishbreath
01-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Fishbreath you do realize this is no different than a stringer hangning off a float tube or fishing from shore or etc.....,

No big deal to me. The reason for the rule has to do with using the live trout for bait for bass or stripers. Maybe you are right and it does not apply to stingers, but I had lake staff at another lake tell me one time that it was against DFG rules. Lake staff are usually well meaning, but not always the best informed. On reading the rule, it sounds like more of a live well issue than a stringer issue. Here is what the regs say:

2012-2013 Freshwater Sport Fishing Regulations
4.00. Bait-General.
(e) No trout may be maintained or possessed in a live condition in any container on or attached to any boat

The Lone Fisherman
01-07-2013, 04:56 PM
Fishbreath, Thanks for the FYI. I've been check by a warden many times before without any issues. (knock on wood)

CL SmooV
01-07-2013, 06:05 PM
I would have eaten those basterds raw for that stunt!

Happy you didn't have to go for a swim!

seal
01-07-2013, 06:39 PM
(knock on wood)

Pardon the pun?

TUNAVIC
01-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Jacked by trout? Hmmm,glad you got your Yak back.

Cya Tuna Vic

AZ.Kid
01-07-2013, 09:16 PM
I have been jacked for fishing equipment before, so when I seen your topic my blood started to boil.
Glad to hear it was just the trout & nice touch for letting them go (can’t blame the little bastards for having some heart.) Although if it was me I would have did like CL and took a bite out of them or fed them to a striper for leaving me stranded in outhouse cove in the winter time. What size was the trout? Any nice ones for the day?

formosa
01-07-2013, 09:33 PM
Silverwood - 01/05/12, I almost got jacked!! by The Lone Fisherman

01/05/12 ???????

DMS
01-07-2013, 09:41 PM
So the 2 trout on your stringer were strong enough to pull your kayak off of the shore and out to the end of the next cove and were still in good enough condition to survive being pulled off the stringer and freed. Did those fish have a Red "S" on their side? Good thing you weren't fishing for stripers or catfish! Your yak would be all the way across the lake.
Also, last time I was there we saw a bobcat... that thing might have taken your yak and headed out after a fish dinner!
Glad you didn't lose your yak.
:)
DMS