PDA

View Full Version : My homemade flies for trout/bluegill

Bassman1414
01-06-2013, 01:29 PM
Hey guys, Bassman1414 here. I just got into making flies for bluegill and trout. I just got into making them today because I was bored and it gave me something to do. My first one is not very good. It is supposed to imatate the little spider things that walk on the water. I have a hook that is wrapped in a black thread. Then I tied little orange legs on. It floats for about 30 seconds and the slowly sinks to the bottom. If you guys can give me advice that would be great. Tightlines.
Bassman1414

seal
01-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Most who use dry fly's (fly's that sit on top of the water) will dab a little floatant on them to keep them on top of the water. If your fly is supposed to be a dry fly then you would need flotant but also it depends on the materials that your are using for dubbing/wrapping your fly. You may want to try a "stonefly" base and tie the legs on that will create a more bouyant fly.

Do some research on the Internet you are bound to come up with a fly that looks similar to what you want and quite possibly directions on how to tie it, or get a book on tying fly's.

Have fun!

Bassman1414
01-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Ok I will look in to some floatant.Thanks for your feedback.Tightlines.
Bassman1414

DEVOREFLYER
01-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Foam is your friend when making bugs.

carpanglerdude
01-06-2013, 08:19 PM
I'll second that. Foam is great for beetles and some ant patterns. Lots of good guides online for tying your own flys. Good luck!

oldschoolfishin'
01-07-2013, 03:31 PM
why not fish for bass w flies also? deer hair is a great floater. deer hair frog patterns work well in the spring, and early summer. i tie others w cork bodies, legs, and feathers: paint the cork w eyes, stripes etcetera. a good, cheap, website for trout, and bass flies is "anglers dream.com". i make a damsel fly pattern that caught lots of bass, and bluegill this last summer. have fun, see ya on the lake.

Bassman1414
01-07-2013, 03:48 PM
Thank you guys for the replys and I will check that website out oldschoolfishin.

fishermanx14
01-15-2013, 02:45 PM
a bead hear hare's ear kills the blugill and is easy to tie

Stinkbait
01-15-2013, 08:59 PM
That floatant is basically liquid wax and comes in a little squeeze bottle like bike chain lube. Buy the cheap stuff. It don't matter.

LEARN WOOLY BUGGERS OF ALL SIZES W/BEADS AND W/O.

oldschoolfishin'
01-24-2013, 07:57 AM
i have fished w flies for two kids, four grandkids, and one greatgrandson. if i had to choose only one fly to use it would be a whooly worm. there are zillions of permutations and all catch lots of fish. they are easy to tie, a great starter fly, and work in most waters, most of the time. have fun. don't forget that time spent fishin' does not count against you alloted time in life!