PDA

View Full Version : Do you use leaders with your braid?

Bassman1414
01-06-2013, 08:46 AM
Hey guys, Bassman1414 here. I have a question for all you on FNN. I am fishing swimbaits and I have 15 pound braid. I don't have a leader.Would it help if I use a leader. If so what line should I use fluro or mono. How long should the leader be and what pound test.And what knot should I use to connect the lines.Tightlines.
Bassman1414

bman90278
01-06-2013, 09:11 AM
Depends on what type of swimbaits are you using? If you are throwing medium to larger swimbaits for bass you will need need a min of 65 lb braid and up to 80 lb braid for the largest swimbaits if u are set on braid. As far as line you will want to use 20 to 25 lb mono leader.

-b

B@$$[P][M][P]
01-06-2013, 11:11 PM
I have 20 lb braid. With a 15 ft leader of trilene 12 lb. Im always texas riging worms tho. Its my pref. I tie a blood knott.

maki909
01-06-2013, 11:35 PM
I use 65 lb braid with a 20 lb floro leader if im fishing a sinking swimbait (hudd, triple trout etc...) i will go strait 65 lb braid if im using a surface swimbait (lunker punker, ms slammer etc...)

gogreeenz4
01-07-2013, 09:11 AM
65 pound power pro with 2 feet of 25 pound seagur fluro as my leader for my hudds an TT's... On my smaller swimbaits i run 16 pound maxima ultragreen.. and i use a palomar knot for all my knots

happy monday /:

bman90278
01-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Hey Bassman1414, why don't u reply to this thread u started? U are getting some good input but u won't get good advice until u give more info. Also, please start ur threads in the right section and u will get more input. This thread should be in the Fishing Gear & Tackle .

Good luck to u!

-b

iRavensfan
01-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Hey Bassman1414, why don't u reply to this thread u started? U are getting some good input but u won't get good advice until u give more info. Also, please start ur threads in the right section and u will get more input. This thread should be in the Fishing Gear & Tackle .

Good luck to u!

-b

did it ever occur to you that today is monday, and he's a kid... put two and two together... (scratching head) = ooooohh the kids at school. hence the reason he has not replied..? just a suggestion

bman90278
01-07-2013, 12:20 PM
did it ever occur to you that today is monday, and he's a kid... put two and two together... (scratching head) = ooooohh the kids at school. hence the reason he has not replied..? just a suggestion

I saw him start another thread later and make a few post's after this thread had several replies, and his other thread was also in the wrong section. Just making sure the kid realizes he will get more advice in the correct section as well as getting the correct advice.

No worries, just hate to see a kid spend money on the wrong stuff.

-b

gogreeenz4
01-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Its rad to see a kid be so in to fishing so early... he would get a ton of help if he posted this in the right spot this is a great question... i will reply or help the kid no matter where he posted just to save him from loosing a costly swimbait $$$$ talk about watching money fly!!! what swimbaits you thro mostly bassman and where

fish-hound
01-07-2013, 01:55 PM
May I ask how you attach the leader to the main line? DO you use a swivel, slip ring, or just tie line to line? When I Carolina rig I tie my main line to a swivel then tie the leader on to the swivel.

gogreeenz4
01-07-2013, 02:11 PM
May I ask how you attach the leader to the main line? DO you use a swivel, slip ring, or just tie line to line? When I Carolina rig I tie my main line to a swivel then tie the leader on to the swivel.

I personally go line to line so the knot will go thru my guides with less hassle... and i use a uni to uni knot or ive heard it called a pretzel knot before also i think a nail knot would do the trick i just perfer uni to uni

Bassman1414
01-07-2013, 03:44 PM
Thanks guys for the help. Right after that flies post I had to go somewhere with my parents and I didn't get home till 10:00 and I was tired. Ok thanks for all the replys. Bman I am mainly throwing baits under 2 oz. Is 15 lb test ok? Bo$$PMP I will use the blood knot. Thanks for suggesting the knot to use. Bman I didn't know there was a different section. Thanks for telling me and I will post something like this there in the future.gogreenz4 I fish at Eldo mostly but I very rarely go to Dixon or Poway.I am mainly throwing baits under 2 oz. For example I have been through 6 in hudds and jerry rago generic trout 6in. I have occasinaly thrown 3:16 little boogers but I was testing them because I got them for christmas. Fish hound the problem is that I am not using a leader I just go 15 lb braid to the lure. I am trying to see what would be the best way to connect a leader. Thanks for the input guys.

Bassman1414
01-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Ok I will experiment with the uni to uni knot. Thank you all again and sorry for the late reply to you guys. I am kinda embarressed.:Embarrassed:

gogreeenz4
01-07-2013, 03:58 PM
Ok I will experiment with the uni to uni knot. Thank you all again and sorry for the late reply to you guys. I am kinda embarressed.:Embarrassed:

Dont trip dude!!! you dont got to reply by a certian time hahahaha but i typically through my 6 inch hudds on 40 lbs power pro braid with a 20-16 lbs seagur flouro leader... use the uni to uni that knot is sooooper simple and holds on tight ( if you tie it right)

good luck my dude

bman90278
01-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Thanks guys for the help. Right after that flies post I had to go somewhere with my parents and I didn't get home till 10:00 and I was tired. Ok thanks for all the replys. Bman I am mainly throwing baits under 2 oz. Is 15 lb test ok? Bo$$PMP I will use the blood knot. Thanks for suggesting the knot to use. Bman I didn't know there was a different section. Thanks for telling me and I will post something like this there in the future.gogreenz4 I fish at Eldo mostly but I very rarely go to Dixon or Poway.I am mainly throwing baits under 2 oz. For example I have been through 6 in hudds and jerry rago generic trout 6in. I have occasinaly thrown 3:16 little boogers but I was testing them because I got them for christmas. Fish hound the problem is that I am not using a leader I just go 15 lb braid to the lure. I am trying to see what would be the best way to connect a leader. Thanks for the input guys.

Hi Bassman1414,

I think you will definitely end up trying a few knots before you are really comfortable when joining lines. I've been using the uni-to-uni knot for several years now when joining co-polymer or flouro to smaller or similar diameter flouro leaders and have been very happy (using for Texas Rigged baits). When I started using braid with a flouro leader (using them on my jigs and small swimbaits) I've been happy with the Alberto ( or modified Albright) ....that seems like a great knot for that application.

You should start googling and you tubing different knots and start trying them out. You'll probably lose some baits, but you'll learn as you go. Before u know it, you'll be showing others how to do them.

-b

bman90278
01-07-2013, 06:22 PM

No worries!! I thought u were getting very sound advice and there are lots of ways to go on your setup, It's just better to give more info because many others are probably doing what u are trying and can save u some $, headaches, and lost time at the lakes.

-b

maki909
01-07-2013, 10:02 PM
I switch between the blood knot and the uni to uni. the uni to uni is very easy to make but i find that for lighter lines i like using the blood knot. as for length on the leader i usually just do the span from one hand to the other (which is about 5.5 feet) and i always use floro leaders i prefer fc sniper.

Bassman1414
01-08-2013, 07:10 AM
Thanks guys for the replys. I will check those knots out.Tighhtlines.
Bassman1414

rocketsurgeon
01-12-2013, 05:35 AM
For connecting braid to fluoro check out the Red Phillips knot. Super easy, small and strong. I have been using it the past year offshore on my jigging and popping rigs, easy to tie on a rocking boat.