PDA

View Full Version : 1-3 Giant Squid skunkfest on Western Pride Davey's landing

cklovetofish
01-04-2013, 08:45 AM
Well, the news came in that there were reports of Giant Squid being caught SOUTH of New Port and day time feeding spotted. So, excited as every body else, I came for the twightlight fishing.
By 6:30 after I got my ticket, look around, see a lot people, I asked the landing people how many are booked. He said, LIGHT load, maybe 20.
By the time we boarded, there must have been 40~50 people. The boat took a long time, way past leaving time, and we ended up with 72 people on the boat. I said to my self "Great, this is going to be a zoo here."
As we are going out, I was joking to one of the deck hand "I hope we don't catch anything with this many people as fish/squid cleaing will take 4 to 6 hours."
Well, at the first stop, captain said, "Let them go, about 200 ft!!!". I said to myself "WHAT 200"!!!. No way in hell I will try to pull up a 8~10 lb squid from 200". I will wait until the squids are up on the surface". Thus, I did not even put my sinker onto the line and I just watch 71 other people drop their lines and jig up and down for 20 minutes and tangle and untangle.
Next stop, captain said "We are in 600" water area, drop your line to 400~450ft". Most people reels does not not hold more than 400ft of lines, mine is only 300ft maybe. Forget it, next stop.
Next stop, captain said "Drop your line to 600ft". I just took my rod and place it on the holding rack.
So, to sum it up, the whole boat with 72 people got SKUNK. My PB is not only I got skunk, it is the first time I am on a boat and my line was not WET.
Captain excuse is maybe the squids are in Dana Point area, not in New Port and this is ONLY AN EXPLORATORY TRIP. Well, dud, so what the hell are we doing in 2 miles radius of New Port harbor?
So, the only good thing come out of this is the weather was nice. It was not too cold up until 10:30 PM. The swell was small and no one threw up or sea sick. DFG collected a ton of money from new licenses. The landing got a few thousands of dollars from the tickets, squid jigs, and sinkers.
One thing I am not sure of what happen, the deck hand collected JACK POT money from maybe 20 people. At the end of the trip, there was no announcement of what happens to that money as no one landed ANYTHING. I guessed the deck hand kept all that money to himself as no one asked for that money back.
SO, PEOPLE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR. KEEP YOUR HARD EARN MONEY AND STAY HOME UNTIL A REAL REPORT COME IN.
We were all in for a ride, if you don't call that a rip off or false advertisement.

Techtito
01-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the Report. I saw a posting on Davey's Locker Facebook page, stating reports of Giant Squid moving into the area. I was thinking about heading out tonight since I have yet to catch a squid and thought it would be nice to add it to my species portfolio. The Facebook posting didn't mention anything about an "Exploratory Trip", 2 miles radius doesn't seem like and Exploratory Trip!! I'm curious to see if they report 72 anglers and no squid caught on their Fishing Report Page...

cklovetofish
01-04-2013, 09:30 AM
NewPort landing came out with another e-mail saying that ONE boat SOUTH of Newport landed 150 squid last night. NewPort landing is coming out with 2 boats tonight targeting the squid.
Come on guys, for twightlight boat with just 5 hours fishing, how much time would you have for fishing if you were going down to DANA Point, 20 miles away?? 20 minutes?

cklovetofish
01-04-2013, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the Report. I saw a posting on Davey's Locker Facebook page, stating reports of Giant Squid moving into the area. I was thinking about heading out tonight since I have yet to catch a squid and thought it would be nice to add it to my species portfolio. The Facebook posting didn't mention anything about an "Exploratory Trip", 2 miles radius doesn't seem like and Exploratory Trip!! I'm curious to see if they report 72 anglers and no squid caught on their Fishing Report Page...
Davey's and NewPort are known for never post a low count or skunk trips. There is no report as of now yet. However, in the coupon e-mail they did admit that there were no squid caught last night. And they are going further SOUTH looking for those. YEAH RIGHT!!

Techtito
01-04-2013, 09:35 AM
What boat caught 150 squid?

cklovetofish
01-04-2013, 09:37 AM
Don't know, they did not say. But this is the report from Dana Wharf.

Thursday, January 3rd 2012

2 Boats, 46 Anglers
12 Giant Squid, 2 Calico, 26 Sandbass, 4 Sargo

SUM FUN 1/2/13 12 anglers 12 Giant Squid

http://www.danawharf.com/fishct.html

Techtito
01-04-2013, 09:41 AM
Davey's and NewPort are known for never post a low count or skunk trips. There is no report as of now yet. However, in the coupon e-mail they did admit that there were no squid caught last night. And they are going further SOUTH looking for those. YEAH RIGHT!!

I always had a feeling those reports are sketchy...I made a comment on their Facebook page asking if they would post the Squid Count...Let's what they say!

Cadillyak
01-04-2013, 09:47 AM
That sucks. I must have gotten lucky 2 years ago. Went outta h and m landing in San Diego on a whim and we only fished for 45 minutes due to the long trek, however I was able to land 15 squid to 25lbs in that short amount of time. The bad part was that when they asked me if I wanted them all I said yes and I wanted them all cleaned. I ended up having to go to the ATM upon docking because the cleaning was sooooo much and the trip back to my truck, that was 1/2 a mile away was a terrible walk considering I had a sack with about 100lbs of squid. What was I thinking? Won't make that mistake again. The squid we caught were HUGE though, average 20lbs!!

Techtito
01-04-2013, 09:50 AM
That sucks. I must have gotten lucky 2 years ago. Went outta h and m landing in San Diego on a whim and we only fished for 45 minutes due to the long trek, however I was able to land 15 squid to 25lbs in that short amount of time. The bad part was that when they asked me if I wanted them all I said yes and I wanted them all cleaned. I ended up having to go to the ATM upon docking because the cleaning was sooooo much and the trip back to my truck, that was 1/2 a mile away was a terrible walk considering I had a sack with about 100lbs of squid. What was I thinking? Won't make that mistake again. The squid we caught were HUGE though, average 20lbs!!

How much is squid cleaning?

Cadillyak
01-04-2013, 09:55 AM
38512 This was the average size and the price was 5$ per squid.

Techtito
01-04-2013, 10:01 AM
5$ a per squid

Wow...so it cost you $75 to clean your 15 squid? Is it hard to clean a squid? I think I would really consider cleaning the squid myself...is that an option?

Cadillyak
01-04-2013, 10:08 AM
I had never dealt with squid before, but when I was watching them, itdidn't seem too hard, but VERY messy. They pretty much just split the heads, took some "stuff" out by pulling the tentacles towards to top of the head, thus pulling the innards connected to them, skinned them, and cut the meat into 4 even square chunks. I included a pic in my earlier post so you could see what I didn't want to deal with in regards to cleaning them. Looked like a lot of work.

BALLERONBUDGET
01-04-2013, 10:52 AM
yup! bs waste of time and gas/parking etc... 15min fishing max all night. captn didnt say a word all night and only 1 deck working his butt off and very professional was cook chris.. ran outtta bags for # of anglers , captn didnt give much detail or course of action, just "drop and lines up" 4x all night. if they did offer or give 1/2 off return coupons i didnt get 1 or captn didnt evn mention it over loudspeaker... not even a thank u ,good nite or drive safe home.
as far as cleaning another bs $$ money pit they dont tellu unless u catch.. catch or keep $2-$4 a piece for 30seconds of work.... slice cone /head off/ cuts to body for squares (bring extra $100 if u plan to bring them home....) hey i can chop a head off and gut anything i catch.. despite newport cleaning law, i can do it and even clean it bettr than them cuz i kno they pushd for time... . wah wah wah wah...

cklovetofish
01-04-2013, 11:02 AM
I think it's $5 a piece due to the size of the squid. I believe NewPort landing charges $1 a piece as the squids NewPort usually caught are between 3lbs to 5 lbs. Cleaning squid is a piece of cake. One can almost just rip the head and guts out in one pull and that is done. Proper cleaning with a knife should not take more than 30 seconds.

cklovetofish
01-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Usuall landing does not want you to clean your own fish/squid as it is a liability issue. I think it is more of a profit/income issue. Some AE still do them themselves when deck hands are too busy. Believe me, when there are over a thousand squids on board, that would take 4-5 hours cleaning with two deck hands cleaning.

BALLERONBUDGET
01-04-2013, 12:10 PM
yeah i understnd the liabilty issue but the landing shud also notice of this law/squid cleaning prior to selling tix or even or their email for 1st time goers or etc...... on average if u plan to fish/ get squid cleand and or grab a bite minimum $100 pperson is to be expected.. $2sack fee/$5optional jackpot + also add to that 2013 licenses $50yr for those that dont hv them yet.... $$$$ to be spent

pix of GIANT squid from d.point last night look far from the 8-10lbrs... more like 4lb at the most and only as long as a forearm.... most of us jumpd on promo lst night and still was sh*tload of anglers on a weeknight.. if u tried looking for parking on sat /sun that area 5pm forgettaabout it.. u can drive for a whole mile without seeing an empty parking spot and long line just for people to enter pierparking lots.... worse that holiday shopping mall parking

Techtito
01-04-2013, 12:16 PM
yeah i understnd the liabilty issue but the landing shud also notice of this law/squid cleaning prior to selling tix or even or their email for 1st time goers or etc...... on average if u plan to fish/ get squid cleand and or grab a bite minimum $100 pperson is to be expected.. $2sack fee/$5optional jackpot + also add to that 2013 licenses $50yr for those that dont hv them yet.... $$$$ to be spent

pix of GIANT squid from d.point last night look far from the 8-10lbrs... more like 4lb at the most and only as long as a forearm.... most of us jumpd on promo lst night and still was sh*tload of anglers on a weeknight.. if u tried looking for parking on sat /sun that area 5pm forgettaabout it.. u can drive for a whole mile without seeing an empty parking spot and long line just for people to enter pierparking lots.... worse that holiday shopping mall parking

What's the Law for Squid cleaning?

cklovetofish
01-04-2013, 12:35 PM
You are right. $51 for license, $25 ticket, 2 squid jigs @ $9 a piece, 2 sinker $4 a piece. That's over $100. $2 a sack, $1 per squid cleaning. If you limit out, total is $140. Plus food/drink $10~$20 a person. $150 per person is not out of the norm.
I believe @ NewPort landing they require the squid to have the head and guts removed completely. I am not sure about the tenticles as they are the best part IMHO.
For parking, any meter parking in New Port is free of charge after 6PM. So, after 6, just park at the little metered parking area between the two landings on Balboa Blvd. Late Fall to early Spring time, parking is not too hard to find. But Summer or holiday weekends!! Forget it. That's why I don't go to these landings as much as I used to.

BALLERONBUDGET
01-04-2013, 12:38 PM
city of newport/newport habor doesnt want squid ink in harbor waters , ink in city streets etc from us ghetto fisherman dirtying there million $$yachts/sidewalks... from my understanding san pedro/long beach its no prob bringing whole squid back to docks +ur car.. a bit messy but thatts what glad trashbag liners/party coolers r for... anyfish boat are goona hv bloods guts and gore if bites are wideopen fish or squid

cklovetofish
01-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Funny thing is they can do something like that with landings. But if people on the pier, just opposite of the street, got on the squid, then inks are everywhere. It may look ugly in a few days, but they are BIODEGRADABLE, LOL, so things are back to normal.

Techtito
01-04-2013, 12:49 PM
You are right. $51 for license, $25 ticket, 2 squid jigs @ $9 a piece, 2 sinker $4 a piece. That's over $100. $2 a sack, $1 per squid cleaning. If you limit out, total is $140. Plus food/drink $10~$20 a person. $150 per person is not out of the norm.
I believe @ NewPort landing they require the squid to have the head and guts removed completely. I am not sure about the tenticles as they are the best part IMHO.
For parking, any meter parking in New Port is free of charge after 6PM. So, after 6, just park at the little metered parking area between the two landings on Balboa Blvd. Late Fall to early Spring time, parking is not too hard to find. But Summer or holiday weekends!! Forget it. That's why I don't go to these landings as much as I used to.

Yeah...it's expensive...Can't find the 2012 Receipt but my 2011 Licence totaled $64.97 with all the stamps...

zzzfish
01-04-2013, 01:10 PM
And that is why I will always spend the extra 15 minutes to drive down to Dana Wharf. 100x better than Newport/Davey and no BS.

DockRat
01-04-2013, 05:56 PM
70 people :Shocked:
Bummer on the skunk.
DR

Seems like this guy tossed over 1/2 away ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElL6_BArDCE

cklovetofish
01-05-2013, 08:16 PM
I guess I am among hundreds of other AE have been waiting all night, all morning, and all evening today for fish count from NewPort and Daveys for squid count.
That has not come and I guess they did not catch any tenticles.

BALLERONBUDGET
01-05-2013, 09:22 PM
cleaning on boat was done way faster than that esp if theres alot on boat.. 30 sec just slice and toss guts out n rinse (final cleaning to be done at home ). of course alot of guys want entire squids cut n clean head n cone etc which is fine as these are used in many ways.... just wanna make sure no one is felt like "bait and switch" technique was used by deckhands if cleaning procedures are not explained prior to boarding or during launch..... again assume that a new 1st time person catches 20 squid and he assumes hes gonna take all home just like a fish ... deck hand says " itll cost u $100 to clean or u cant take these" of couse the guys its gonna snap . lst yr the decks and captn didnt even announce cleaning fee of $3 each until we were on the way back! so if u had $20 in ur pocket u brought 6 back despite the # u caught!.. AGAIN IN ALL FAIRNESS the fees should be explained online, at the ticket counter and on deck b4 anything is caught. i doubt the fellow average fishmerman has extra $100 each in their pocket each time they go fish, esp if their teenagers kids wives 1st timers etc...

cklovetofish
01-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Finally, squid is here. New Port landing found it, not Daveys.
http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=jnsbyccab&v=001zsj4A0_3E1HbyYFUIxNEbfJUkH3N5PqWniuifghiMzBUL sKTAbaom7xvOSIRoeyzIVjH3UFwSK0NT_3p97PHL9zZ8sRcryg 6y2_qNliCE40%3D

Any AE out there went on this trip? Just to confirm.

WAHBAM
01-08-2013, 01:34 AM
Awesome, I wanna go next week on the weekday if there's any outings available. By the way whats the setup to catch this squid? I was thinking about using 14 lb test line & 4 oz weight with the lures.

BALLERONBUDGET
01-08-2013, 06:45 AM
its a barbed but not sharpened squid jig 4-12in long $5-$20.. 30lb test recommended... followed by leader line about 1ft with a torpedo wt 2-8oz depending how deep they are.... u can go near wtless when they surface up as they will attack anything in the water.... arms grab onto jig and cnt free themselves.. when u deck thm grab wt and shake them off upside down... irons or traditional jigs not recommndd cuz theyll rip the flesh off and ok u risk have a flying jig whip back to u when u pull these aboard.... also cheap ponchos or waterproof rain suit can be usefull as its a showerfest of h20 and ink everywhere as they pull last ditch effort to get away.... GO GET THEM ! CATCH N KILL REGARDLESS IF URE KEEPING CUZ THEYLL EAT ANYTHING ALONG THEIR PATH AND FISHING WILL SUCK FOR AWHILE.....

WAHBAM
01-08-2013, 02:34 PM
its a barbed but not sharpened squid jig 4-12in long $5-$20.. 30lb test recommended... followed by leader line about 1ft with a torpedo wt 2-8oz depending how deep they are.... u can go near wtless when they surface up as they will attack anything in the water.... arms grab onto jig and cnt free themselves.. when u deck thm grab wt and shake them off upside down... irons or traditional jigs not recommndd cuz theyll rip the flesh off and ok u risk have a flying jig whip back to u when u pull these aboard.... also cheap ponchos or waterproof rain suit can be usefull as its a showerfest of h20 and ink everywhere as they pull last ditch effort to get away.... GO GET THEM ! CATCH N KILL REGARDLESS IF URE KEEPING CUZ THEYLL EAT ANYTHING ALONG THEIR PATH AND FISHING WILL SUCK FOR AWHILE.....

Thanks, if I need 30 lb test then I guess need to I rent a rod or borrow one.

JapanRon
01-17-2013, 03:42 PM
Hi cklovetofish,

Well .... can't bring myself to actually target these things. Sounds like a good card game should have been started in the galley.

JapanRon