PDA

View Full Version : Skinne Lake Qs

MOON
01-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Will be heading over to Skinner tomorrow haven't been there since last year I read the report that U-Rig trolling been working,,,My question is do you need downrigger or leadcore which i don't have to troll, Also what bait been working would really help too...Appreciate the info. BTW we will be in a green Crestliner SC16...

P.A.W.
01-03-2013, 07:08 PM
Boy, that's a lot of questions. Skinner is a fickle little lake. One day you can limit in 2 hours the next it will shut down. The last few days it has slowed down considerably. That being said I weighed a fish for Oscar today at 19lbs! But he didn't limit out. We were just picking fish off here and there with no real pattern to speak of. I caught fish with a Urig on a downrigger, but Oscar was plain u-rigging it. Both can work but you need to be flexible.

Sorry can't help with Bait n wait cuz I don't do that. As I said just a week ago the bait balls with stripers on them were HUGE and all over the place. Today they were just gone! Metered only a few small pods. Go figure.

MOON
01-03-2013, 08:02 PM
PAW thanks in bait I meant U-Rig once again appreciate the info. tight lines...

Askwhy
01-03-2013, 09:12 PM
PAW thanks in bait I meant U-Rig once again appreciate the info. tight lines...

Ok I was out at skinner today and paw is right its very hit and miss with some days being better than others unless you have one of oscars rigs as those seem to always be productive as paw said He caught a 19 pounder and had a few double hook ups I will post pictures of his big fish soon enjoy. Oscar your rigs rock and thanks for the 2 you made me . Paw good seeing you on the water I never got to meet T.O but maybe next time out

Askwhy
01-03-2013, 09:25 PM
Ok I was out at skinner today and paw is right its very hit and miss with some days being better than others unless you have one of oscars rigs as those seem to always he productive as paw said He caught a 19 pounder and had a few double hook ups I will post pictures of his big fish soon enjoy. Oscar your rigs rock and thanks for the 2 you made me . Paw good seeing you on the water I never got to meet T.O but maybe next time out

picture of oscars 19 pounder

catchingsomefish
01-03-2013, 09:37 PM
I was out at skinner today, and it was very tough, tried several variations on the u-rigs, no takers. Congrats to Oscar, he showed us his fish NICE.... P.A.W., it was nice to meet you this morning before we got onto the water.............Dave

Askwhy
01-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Dave just curious what kind of u rig are you using ?

flyhigh123
01-04-2013, 04:00 PM
I have a question, i've been fishing different lakes, what is the current lake temp at skinner? I don't have plans to fish skinner (too far), but it teaches me more about these fish and understanding their migration patterns

Askwhy
01-04-2013, 04:42 PM
I have a question, i've been fishing different lakes, what is the current lake temp at skinner? I don't have plans to fish skinner (too far), but it teaches me more about these fish and understanding their migration patterns

As of yesterday it was 53 down 2 degrees from last week.

Raloma
01-04-2013, 06:38 PM
Nice Oscar Congrats
I will be there tomorrow using one of Oscars U-rigs.

JAG107
01-04-2013, 07:31 PM
That 19 pounder is a PIG!
You could try getting a heavier U rig, I have a 4 oz setup. If you troll a little slower, that would go plenty deep enough, maybe even drag bottom depending on how much line out you go.

flyhigh123
01-04-2013, 10:09 PM
As of yesterday it was 53 down 2 degrees from last week.

thanks, it seems in my short exp, that 55 is a good temp. 55-60 seems to be a good temp when they fatten up.

catchingsomefish
01-04-2013, 10:27 PM
Askwhy, the u-rigs are different variations that Bob,( T/O) taught me how to assemble, and different colors for different water clarity. If you have never had a chance to fish with TO, I highly recommend it, his knowledge of the u-rigs, and of striper behavior in general is way worth the price of a guide trip:Big Grin:..........................Dave