PDA

View Full Version : Santa Monica Bay Perching 1/1/13

Red Drum
01-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Went out surf fishing on Sunday and caught a bunch of medium size perch and a nice 15 incher, so I decided to give it another try with Jason "jscrib". Jason caught 20 plus perch the day before so the Perch were still around.
Fished from 330pm until sunset. Mini Hammer and Mini Hammer Stick bait.(paddle tail gone, bait still working great.)
Low tide and dropping. Some weed but not bad at all if you moved around. Tide dropped big time by 330p. Lots of fast action on 9-12"ers. Patches of fish if you moved around. I ended up getting a nice fat 15 incher at 4:58pm.
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy103/jscrib_photos/vinnie-1.jpg

Sunset picture. It's so nice being warm and comfortable fishing with my Cabela's neoprene chest waders. It was almost painful to watch Jason wading in the cold water with swim trunks on, but he was having fun catch a bunch of Perch. After the sun went down. he was begging me to take his cold wet arse home.
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy103/jscrib_photos/vinnie-2.jpg

Nice to do some surf fishing again with Jason.

Hook-Up!!

Vince

Which Way Out
01-02-2013, 07:32 PM
Vince until I got some waders I froze my arse off way to many times:Cold Fishing:. Once it was so bad I had to soak in a hot tub for an hour just to feel normal again.

Big BSP around, go get em and good luck btw nice pics

WWO

dlmoo312
01-03-2013, 01:01 AM
Way to go out there! Fishing the mini-hammers for big perch this time of year sounds like a lot of fun:Smile:
I'll have to give it a try the next time i'm out fishing perch.
I remember when I finally transitioned to waders, the overall comfort and convenience was amazing!
I can't imagine fishing without them in this weather, but I guess you forget about that when you're catching fish!
Thanks for the report!

-Daniel

Wingnut
01-03-2013, 09:18 AM
Nice session Vince, great report and pics. :Thumbs Up:
I thought for sure Santa would have brought Jason some waders this year. :Wink:
Congrats on the Perch fest and hopefully our Redskins will handle the Seahawks this weekend. :Big Grin:

bloox8
01-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Nice 15"er Red
Those mini-BH look awesome lol. I wanted to give those a try a few days ago but I felt like 3/8 bh heads were too big, especially with the size perch I was hitting. What size were you using BTW?

Thanks for the nice pictures!

Thien

P.S. tell your friend to get some waders :LOL: Even cheap ones help

SP Dan
01-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Hi ya Red Drum,

Congratulations on beaching that 15"+ PERCH-ZILLA! :Big Grin:........along with all of the other non-perch-zillas!
I have not achieved a BSP of that size yet :Envious:! It's on my list of things to do for 2013!

Thanx Vince, for the fish report and the picture of the "TOAD"! :Thumbs Up: WTG!
Excellent fishing out there Sir!

SP Dan <"))><

DockRat
01-04-2013, 04:57 AM
Congrats on the monster perch, that thing is huge.
DR

Red Drum
01-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Nice 15"er Red
Those mini-BH look awesome lol. I wanted to give those a try a few days ago but I felt like 3/8 bh heads were too big, especially with the size perch I was hitting. What size were you using BTW?

Thanks for the nice pictures!

Thien

P.S. tell your friend to get some waders :LOL: Even cheap ones help

I was using a 3/8 ounce cannon ball jig head, and a 2.5 inch paddle tail swimmie.

iLLest
01-08-2013, 12:17 AM
Oh man, Perchin seems like a blast, specially on slow days. Those 15" ers at the end of the line sounds like a pretty sweet time, it doesnt get better than that.
I might have to put the LC on hold and give Perchin a shot again, sometimes we gotta go back to the basics to get ourselves back on our feet.
Thanks for postin
-Frank

bachiboy
01-11-2013, 07:21 PM
Nice job starting the New Year off with a fat pig! Waders or not...man it's cold out there.:Wink: Thanks for sharing.

Don

Jaysuuun
01-14-2013, 02:02 AM
Wading in swim trunks this time of year? Ouch! LOL Nice perch slay