PDA

View Full Version : First time on the surf! N. SAMO 1/2/13

connordoyle
01-02-2013, 03:17 PM
I finally did it! After collecting materials and waiting for my 2013 license to come into play I went out at my first opportunity. For the past year i've been fishing piers very frequently and occasionally going out on some charter boats. Obviously fishing the surf is a very very different thing. So after much research I got a pack of Gulp camo sandworms, swim baits and a Daiwa DS Minnow. I decided that north santa monica would be my first place to try it all out. After just driving up the 1 I saw a decent place to park and some jetties so I thought i'd give it a try. This was around 10am. My first choice was the camo worm from all the info I gathered that seemed to be the best choice. I tossed it around for a good 30 minutes and nothing. I just assumed that im a rookie and i probably wont catch anything today any way. So then I tried the Daiwa hard bait (which i got as a cheaper alternative to the LC) Second cast, bam one of the biggest BSP i've ever seen let alone caught. I couldnt have been happier, I left my phone in the car, afraid of getting it wet so now pics this time. I fished till around 1:40 with a total of 8 or 9 fish all in the 8-13" range. at the end i tried the swim bait for no results, I did manage to get a follower though. I left a very happy man, all the fish were released.

I was super pleased the hard bait, for half as much as the LC it seems its a pretty good deal, let me know your experiences with them.
http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag19/Connor_Doyle/photo_zps0fab6b9c.jpg

I'm looking to learn as much as possible, if you see me out there please say hello.

peanutbutter
01-02-2013, 03:32 PM
atleast you got into them ill see if i see you on the weekends when i can get out

Wingnut
01-02-2013, 03:46 PM
Well done Connor, great job!
You did the research, went out there and gave it a shot. :Thumbs Up:
The best advice I can give you is have lots of patience and always check conditions before heading out.
You will learn something new with every trip you take in the surf. :Wink:
Again, nice job and looking forward to more successful reports from you in the future. :Big Grin:

connordoyle
01-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Well done Connor, great job!
You did the research, went out there and gave it a shot. :Thumbs Up:
The best advice I can give you is have lots of patience and always check conditions before heading out.
You will learn something new with every trip you take in the surf. :Wink:
Again, nice job and looking forward to more successful reports from you in the future. :Big Grin:

Thanks! I'm gonna try and make it out tomorrow as well. Wish me luck!

Which Way Out
01-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Hey Connor thanks for putting up a report. Its been kinda slow, so any action is a good thing.:Thumbs Up:

As for the DS minnow, I have a couple and have never used them. I got hooked on the LC's and never looked back. If we ever meet up you can have them. I am sure they would work, but when in Rome, do as a Roman I always say. Some people I know would argue that. I sometimes will go and try something off the wall and see if it works. Oh Heck I am "Uncoachable". Don't worry its an inside joke, well see who chimes in on that.

Good luck this year, don't let the new fishing license go to waist.

WWO

SP Dan
01-03-2013, 08:50 AM
Hi ya connordoyle,

WTG! ..... on the BSP fish count soldier!

The following quote is probably some of the best advice that one can follow,

Per Wingnut: "The best advice I can give you is have lots of patience and always check conditions before heading out.
You will learn something new with every trip you take in the surf".

Thanx Connor for the fish report and I'll be looking forward to; reading about, your future success's! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

bachiboy
01-11-2013, 07:27 PM
Way to do your research, getting out there and taking it to 'em! Congrats on a nice tally on your first outing.

Don

Ifishtoolittle
01-12-2013, 02:08 AM
Man nine 8"-13" perch on your first outing?! WOW! WTG dude!

connordoyle
01-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Man nine 8"-13" perch on your first outing?! WOW! WTG dude!

I've been out 5 or 6 times since then and of course I havent caught anything as big as I did that day! I guess thats how it works, Ive learned how to find the fish better but the ones I find are much smaller.

This is probably the biggest one since then... :Sad:

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag19/Connor_Doyle/bsp1_zps158a075e.jpg

Simplyeman
01-13-2013, 10:11 AM
Diawa Minnows work great, the rest is technique, tides, and the casting at the right time. Fishing is about fundamentals, once you learn the basics its like shooting fish in a barrel.

Jaysuuun
01-14-2013, 02:26 AM
The DS minnow is a decent alternative to the LC if you are on a budget. My first surf Hali was caught on a DS minnow. However, i think you should give an LC a try sometime:Wink:. Congrats on a successful surf outing. You did an awesome job slinging the hard bait.