PDA

View Full Version : Report: Silverwood 12-29, not much

flyhigh123
12-31-2012, 12:35 PM
Was planning on going to pyramid but my friend who last minute joined me, didn't have the time, so we went to silverwood.

We trolled around, metered fish in the 40-90 feet. First time testing the DR, but i think my weight was too light. The fish in the 40 feet sat on the bottom in the coves, but was too dangerous to DR there since the depths change real fast.

Ended up getting the skunk, and the rain came in around 1pm, so we took off.

Mastering the DR is not easy, but with practice hopefully i'll understand it more.

KingShad
12-31-2012, 11:03 PM
There is a really cool book at BPS that shows the weights and the actual depth you are at. For example, the book said trolling at 2.5 with a 8lb ball at 200' is actually only putting u at 140. It was 15$ you should check it out. They had 4 there yesterday. May help your learning curve

AZ.Kid
12-31-2012, 11:38 PM
I was there on Sat 12/29 as well and a skunk for me too. tough day! seen some people on shore with a stringer 5-6 bows 12"-14" also heard another boat say they got a couple Crapi. hope tomorrow will be better.

I think the book KingShad is talking about is called Pro Troll and it is a good little book.

flyhigh123
01-01-2013, 02:31 AM
Azkid, u in the tracker? Cause the boat with the crappie was just docking when I pulled away. I've ordered a 10lb weight which will be better.

The angle of the line and the line amount gives me a close idea of the actual depth. I'm not great at math, but my buddies was, something about the sine of 30 degrees is half etc lol

AZ.Kid
01-01-2013, 08:15 AM
Yep, I am in the Tracker. headed back out to the wood today, almost changed my mind when I seen the DVL post this morning.

flyhigh123
01-01-2013, 01:45 PM
i was the other boat trolling by you at the very end of the day. anyways, good luck!

drifter023
01-01-2013, 06:45 PM
fly, I am now hooking up a DR myself live by silverwood and plan on useing it there alot. I did buy the book they are talking about lots of good info in it but as soon as I can get the extra bucks will book a trip with T.O. maybe we should split the trip with T.O. and learn how to use the DR's the right way a whole lot quicker. .....:Wink:

JAG107
01-02-2013, 06:57 PM
I upgraded from a 4lb to a 10lb weight and it's far more accurate especially over 2mph. Its just more of a hassle cranking up something that much heavier, but you get better results. Also I believe the line pops out of the clip easier since there is more resistance from the heavier weight. I have drug some small fish around for hours before when I had the 4lb weight on because the fish wasn't able to pull the line out of the clip.