PDA

View Full Version : Newport - 12/30 Newbie Surf fishing report

FishingwithDave
12-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Hit the beach around 9am until Noon fishing between 49th - 52nd street. Caught a bunch of small perch throwing grubs and 2" camo sandworms. Threw a couple of LCs for nada. It was a beautiful day and I learned some things about surf fishing. Got knocked on my butt once early on, but I did manage to keep my reel above water somehow.

He back out tomorrow and hopefully find some bigger ones than ones like this that I was catching today

LbcLakers
12-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Nice colors on that fish, I'll be hitting the surf this year for the first time. Good luck tomorrow

Wingnut
12-31-2012, 11:09 AM
Very nice, glad you made it out there... :Big Grin:
You will learn something new with every trip to the surf. :Idea:
Good luck and welcome to the addiction. :Razz:

teejay
12-31-2012, 11:48 AM
Congrats! It's my new years resolution to get out in the surf.

FishingwithDave
01-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Very nice, glad you made it out there... :Big Grin:
You will learn something new with every trip to the surf. :Idea:
Good luck and welcome to the addiction. :Razz:

Got back out again Monday morning for a couple hours and caught a bunch more smaller perch but did manage a couple of 10 inchers. Went back out for a quick session in the late afternoon when the tide was low. After switching from a camo sand worm to motor oil grub, it got hammered real hard, but I missed him. After that, nothing.

Gonna have to make more trips down to the OC to visit our grand daughter and do more surf fishing. Much nicer view than the Bako area aqueduct!

peanutbutter
01-01-2013, 11:41 PM
nice atleast you went out :)

SP Dan
01-03-2013, 09:11 AM
Welcome to our addiction FishingwithDave,

Not bad.....not bad at all Sir!
It's always good to beach the skunk buster....the rest is just good!

I'm a true believer in the LC Lure but I've also been know to switch over to DS and C-rigs for excellent fish results!
So one tip is to........ try to adapt to the present AO conditions and try to match the bait fish (if any).

Thanx Dave for the fish report with cool pic! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><