PDA

View Full Version : Sabiki regulations and shad?

yakfu
12-28-2012, 11:44 PM
Can somebody help me on this one. I was reading that shad can only be taken by angling or if otherwise stated a dip net. Sabiki rigs are illegal according to post that ive seen from other members but i havent seen the regulation that supports it. Are they illegal due to the amount of hooks, or is it based on there makeup. Can they be made legall by reducing the number of hooks to two? Somebody help me out on this one...please

cutbait
12-29-2012, 02:18 AM
Can somebody help me on this one. I was reading that shad can only be taken by angling or if otherwise stated a dip net. Sabiki rigs are illegal according to post that ive seen from other members but i havent seen the regulation that supports it. Are they illegal due to the amount of hooks, or is it based on there makeup. Can they be made legall by reducing the number of hooks to two? Somebody help me out on this one...please

Someone did post the code verbatim.

fish4keep
12-29-2012, 07:24 AM
I already c/p the regulation on bait capturing. That support the fact that sabiki is illegal while targeting shad. I dont even know why people still believe thats its legal if theres a certain amout of hooks when its black and white on the regulation stating: "taken only by hand with a dip net or trap".

KingShad
12-29-2012, 09:06 AM
It's illegal. They are saltwater rigs designed for mackeral ect. There is a great video on line how to use a dip net. The nets for around 250 are the best. You simply hold it over the shad, slap the water, then twist it so it traps them in. If I am thinking of the same lake u are they are on the surface and it can be done later in the afternoon when they are popping.

yakfu
12-30-2012, 12:19 AM
Guys....thank you for clearing this up for me...i appreciate it.

shinbob
12-30-2012, 05:33 PM
There is a great video on line how to use a dip net. The nets for around 250 are the best. You simply hold it over the shad, slap the water, then twist it so it traps them in.

Which video is this? I'd love to see it. Everytime I try that method, I get maybe 1 or 2 shad for each swipe, if I'm lucky. Those little suckers are fast. I have a little better luck scooping them up from the side or bottom.

smokehound
01-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Its exactly like jigging for sardines or anchovies, which are in the same family

It's really no different, sabiki use for shad is not illegal, just snip a few of the hooks off, and you're all good.

You need the SMALLEST sabiki for this to work, otherwise you'll catch nothing but baby bass and bluegill.

Threadfin shad DO attack sabikis and flies, and if you're good at it, you can catch tons of bait.

Just as long as you arent snagging the fish, its fine. Anyone giving you trouble for it after being told everything in this post is a certified grade-A douchebag.

smokehound
01-03-2013, 12:57 PM
It's illegal. They are saltwater rigs designed for mackeral ect. There is a great video on line how to use a dip net. The nets for around 250 are the best. You simply hold it over the shad, slap the water, then twist it so it traps them in. If I am thinking of the same lake u are they are on the surface and it can be done later in the afternoon when they are popping.THAT is illegal. The regs specifically state that only a dip net is the only net that may be used.

Sucks, because dip nets are lame as hell. haha

fish4keep
01-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Its exactly like jigging for sardines or anchovies, which are in the same family

It's really no different, sabiki use for shad is not illegal, just snip a few of the hooks off, and you're all good.

You need the SMALLEST sabiki for this to work, otherwise you'll catch nothing but baby bass and bluegill.

Threadfin shad DO attack sabikis and flies, and if you're good at it, you can catch tons of bait.

Just as long as you arent snagging the fish, its fine. Anyone giving you trouble for it after being told everything in this post is a certified grade-A douchebag.

Some just don't get it............. :Rolls Eyes:

THAT is illegal. The regs specifically state that only a dip net is the only net that may be used.

Sucks, because dip nets are lame as hell. haha

That is NOT illegal as he was referring to USING a dip net with a specific strategy. The only wrong way to use a dip net is with the assist of a motor (main or trolling) or mehanical force, then it's illegal. Otherwise anything you do with the dip net is legal as long as it's the person holding the net it doing it.

I know you're probably just trying to help but atleast know the facts before giving a person the wrong info.......

smokehound
01-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Some just don't get it............. :Rolls Eyes:

That is NOT illegal as he was referring to USING a dip net with a specific strategy. The only wrong way to use a dip net is with the assist of a motor (main or trolling) or mehanical force, then it's illegal. Otherwise anything you do with the dip net is legal as long as it's the person holding the net it doing it.

I know you're probably just trying to help but atleast know the facts before giving a person the wrong info.......I had always assumed they meant the big ring-shaped handle-less nets when they referred to dip nets. You're right :)

HOWEVER In regards to the sabiki, totally legal, so long as you clip all but three hooks. If I can catch shad at a park lake this way, anyone can. Was the insulting tone necessary? Nope.

Im not perfect, man. My guess is you assumed I believed I was some kind of uber mach-III fish-god. =\

But thanks for revealing your elitist attitude :D

fish4keep
01-04-2013, 09:18 PM
I had always assumed they meant the big ring-shaped handle-less nets when they referred to dip nets. You're right :)

HOWEVER In regards to the sabiki, totally legal, so long as you clip all but three hooks. If I can catch shad at a park lake this way, anyone can. Was the insulting tone necessary? Nope.

Im not perfect, man. My guess is you assumed I believed I was some kind of uber mach-III fish-god. =\

But thanks for revealing your elitist attitude :D:LOL::LOL: Think as you will if it makes you feel better. Im just telling you if you didnt know (which you still dont seem to know or dont want to know) its illegal to use sabiki to catch shad. But youre right youre not perfect.

cutbait
01-05-2013, 07:16 AM
You two are very gentlemen about this disagreement. I am enjoying this exchange.

Smoke, your rebuttal?

formosa
01-05-2013, 04:47 PM
legal or illegal ??? anyone called DFG ????

cutbait
01-05-2013, 04:59 PM
legal or illegal ??? anyone called DFG ????

Smoke is right on this one. If a shad willfully takes a sabiki/ fly whatever bait it is legal to keep as long as it was not snagged.

Fish4 keep is being close minded in his thinking.

Sure his regulations he qoutes are correct in use of "netting" but smoke refers to definition of take as defined in the regs!
Which allows the take of a willing fish

cutbait
01-05-2013, 05:06 PM
1.05. ANGLING. To take fish by hook and line with the line held in the hand, or with the line attached to a pole or rod held in the hand or closely attended in such manner that the fish voluntarily takes the bait or lure in its mouth.

fish4keep
01-05-2013, 08:36 PM
1.05. ANGLING. To take fish by hook and line with the line held in the hand, or with the line attached to a pole or rod held in the hand or closely attended in such manner that the fish voluntarily takes the bait or lure in its mouth.
:LOL: You are correct when it comes to the pursuit of fish (game) but shad doesnt fall under that definition and more so in the bait fish capturing method. I understand the states no more than 3 hook rule but again when youre trying to catch bait (shad) it falls under the bait fish captutring methods and not the angling or 3 hooks reg. If we go by that "angling" reg, all the shad caught by net would have to be release as none were caught by "angling".