PDA

View Full Version : newport bay ling cod suprise?

youngfisherman
12-28-2012, 04:55 PM
so i was fishing the bay today solo session any ways i fished from 8 to 1:30 decent time to fish i hooked up on a nice spottie in only ten minutes there after that nothing couple bites mostly likely small halibut at around 1:30 i got a bite i thought it was a halibut it ended up being a lizard fish and a big one well not big it was 7 inch big to me any ways i was messing around with it i took it to my back pack and dropped it down in the water i was letting him fight since i had not bites so i let him regain strength so i gave some slack line for 2 minutes when i tighten the line it was heavy i thought maybe he got into allege or what ever but i kept reeling in and i started to feel huge tugs and head shakes so i started to reel in whatever was on it was big i thought maybe a halibut grabbed it or a spottie but it felt way to big i start reeling him in couldn't believe what i saw i was tripping i couldn't believe it i thought i was seeing things there was a ling cod grabbing on to my lizard fish the ling cod ate it head first the tail was sticking out i was just shocked the ling cod was just shaking its head trying to swallow the whole thing but then he spit it out i guess he felt the hook and took of i was shocked and pissed of because i hooked a ling in the bay by pch bridge newport back bay!! i know it was a ling cod i got a good look its head was big and had a long body and it had a dark color wasn't huge but big maybe 22 inch skinny which is big for newport i guess i knew it was sure i took the lizard fish home because he wasn't going to make it he had big gashes i brought him home not to eat but as evidence of the bite marks i was searching the web and i saw some forums post of people catching small lincod from the jetties i guess he got lost he went way to far lol ill post a pic of the lizard fish poor lizard he never excepted becoming bait

DockRat
12-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Cool Linger going for the lizard. Wtg.
DR

Cadillyak
12-28-2012, 07:30 PM
What a rush that must of been. Sounds like fun. Glad to see something eating those pesky lizardfish.

TUNAVIC
12-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Pretty cool,I've caught halibut,and evenWSB in the harbor,and a few other odd fish,but never a ling,WTG.

Cya Tuna Vic

cutbait
12-29-2012, 08:04 AM
Pretty cool. Lings in the 22 inch range really are just skinny, fun none the less.

I would say a hitch hiker ling {which is always the coolest} but it seems by your story you were essentially using the lizardfish as bait which I'm not sure you can or not

In the future if lings let go as this one did, feed it some line, it is QUITE often they reattach quickly..

I lOVE LINGS BTW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icND-gu1fj0

youngfisherman
12-29-2012, 10:47 AM
yah it was cool i would never expect that i found out its alright to use lizard fish as bait which i wasnt trying to use it as bait this was just luck i did drop the lizardfish down again to see if he would eat he never came back

fish4keep
12-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Lingcod or midshipman? I havent heard of lingcod but have of midshipman back there.

youngfisherman
12-29-2012, 01:52 PM
ling cod i can tell by the color shape,teeth and there behavior ling cod dont care if they look at you there not scared of humans thell grab onto a fish and wont let go and thell come back plus the color on a ling cod is different from a mid ship men mid ship men dont get this big the ling was atleast 22 inch not huge it was a small guy compared to bigger ling

smokehound
12-31-2012, 08:07 AM
Either midshipman, or a toad cabezon, which DO look like lingcod!

Cabbies are just as mean as lings!

Post a pic of the mangled Lizard, and I can tell you for SURE what it was that bit it =]

SP Dan
01-03-2013, 07:36 AM
Hi ya youngfisherman,

Congrat's on the Ling Cod! Still on my list to catch! WTG!

Thanx for the fish report! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><