PDA

View Full Version : Beginner locations to start kayaking?

Got_fish?
12-27-2012, 05:39 PM
I just bought a Malibu pro 2 tandem kayak. I'm completely new to the sport so I'm a little hesitant to take it out onto venturing waters. Any areas around Los Angeles where you'd recommend I start of at?
I won't be doing any fishing of the kayak just yet, I just want to familiarize myself to the sport until I feel comfortable enough. Not looking for any kayak rental locations or anything like that , I just want to get out their and try it myself
Thanks in advance, I appreciate any and all tips and advice =)

casting call
12-27-2012, 06:16 PM
Naples Island in long beach

Got_fish?
12-27-2012, 07:33 PM
are their any fee's i should know about?

E man
12-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Castaic lagoon is a good place. If you want to avoid fees and just want to get the yak wet go to hansen dam.

Got_fish?
12-27-2012, 08:01 PM
i was actualy planning to go to lake piru this weekend.. which i know is close to castiac
would castiac be a better option
over at piru, your restricted to a very narrow path of water to paddle
is it the same at castiac?

casting call
12-27-2012, 08:03 PM
are their any fee's i should know about?

No fees. Go to the beach at the end of belmont shore off 2nd street to launch. You can paddle all around Naples island through the canals, and even paddle up to the Pacifica Marina shopping center, tie up your yak and grab lunch. If youre not sure where this beach is, just go to belmont shore, and just ask anybody there where the kayak rentals are, thats where you can launch.

Got_fish?
12-27-2012, 08:26 PM
thanks man, i appreciate the help

DockRat
12-29-2012, 08:17 PM
King Harbor has a hand launch dock next to the short pier by Ruby's.
You have to pay for parking.

Another LB spot is the sailing center. Free street ( close 100' ) parking, free launch and a hose to rinse off. Check the map at the below website.
DR

http://www.longbeach.gov/park/parks_and_open_spaces/parks/leeway_sailing_n_aquatics_center.asp

Got_fish?
12-30-2012, 05:40 PM
thanks dockrat, really looking forward to trying it in the harbor.
went out today for the first time on the pro 2 tandem, we ended up going to castiac lagoon which is an ideal place to start off in my opinion. had TONS of fun and we didnt capsize a single time, the kayak is very very stable. On the downside, the water was absolutely freezing... i realy need to buy some waders or a wet suit
and preferances amonst thoose for the colder months?

bassfishing24/7
12-31-2012, 08:17 AM
Neoprene waders will keep u warm all year round,thier Just a pain in the butt to use in the summer time...breatheable r lighter & easier to use.

Got_fish?
01-01-2013, 06:01 PM
bassfishing 24/7, can the waders realy be dangerous if u capsize ? i mean will enouph water get inside of them to the point where i wont be able to swim? just a concern

Got_fish?
01-01-2013, 06:03 PM
sky, where can i buy some good booties that wont take to much of a toll on my wallet? my feet went numb after awhile on the lagoon this weekend

bassknuckles
01-30-2013, 01:44 PM
Dont know of too many places up korth but more down south here dana ppint is great has a nice launch ramp and real calm in the harbor or oceanside harbor. Also I didnt get neoprene waders they would get me to hot I just got some real light breathable waders and water proof jacket ive been hoopneting at 2 in the morning with wind and it being pretty cold out and I was just fine. Remember the workout your going to get by paddling.

N3FF
01-30-2013, 01:51 PM
I started out in Newport Harbor, Launch at the coast guard station! good spot to learn go get some bass and halibut!

DockRat
02-04-2013, 06:52 AM
bassfishing 24/7, can the waders realy be dangerous if u capsize ? i mean will enouph water get inside of them to the point where i wont be able to swim? just a concern

The belt will help from flooding.

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu139/neilski25/upimg4Fishing-waders_52364.jpghttp://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll243/hgbtrout/82445_050.jpg

BALLERONBUDGET
02-04-2013, 07:22 AM
u can buy diver booties usually on sale sportschalet $20... also yaks hv optional outrigger sides inflatable or hollowed platics ++++ for stability... ive seen yaks tip and lose all gear, definitely can be dangerous and not fun if ur buy urself . make sure ur safe with all required pfd +extra stuff u may need : leash whistle flag etc...

bassknuckles
02-05-2013, 01:04 AM
Kayaking with waders on can kill you by filling up with water if you capsize causing you to drown. I remember the first time I kayaked up at Mammoth Lakes. I didn't have any plugs for the self bailing holes, and it was the first time I had ever paddled at a higher elevation lake. My butt and feet were so cold within seconds of stepping into the water to launch. Booties are pretty inexpensive if you get the kind with out the hard soles. They are maybe 10 to 15 dollars. I would recommend buying the hard sole booties. If you have ever had to pull a piece of glass or a fish hook out of the bottom of your foot, you would quickly understand why it is worth the investment.I like this type of bootie: http://www.outdoorplay.com/NRS-Mens-Kicker-Remix-Kayak-Water-Shoes When you launch and step into a muddy lake bottom your shoes don't come off. You need to get the kind that are strapped tight onto your feet. The other thing I have done is to bring a towel to dry your feet off with, use the self bailing plugs http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Sit-Kayak-Scupper-Plug/dp/B004W4UYCE and then put socks on. I have seen a lot of kayak fishermen dangle their feet over the sides of the kayak into the water, which to me is asking to get your leg bitten off by a shark - (or a snapping turtle if you paddle in Minnesota.) if you are hauling in hopefully a monster fish, I would suggest using thigh straps to brace with and give you better balance. Thigh straps: http://www.amazon.com/Harmony-Standard-Sit-on-Top-Kayak-Thighstraps/dp/B0047H49GS/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1359967300&sr=1-2&keywords=kayak+thigh+straps I go white water kayaking down the Kern River on a Sit-on-top kayak using thigh straps. I have never fallen out. They will help you to maintain your balance when you surf launch also, and help to avoid losing all of your fishing gear at the bottom of the ocean.

The waders will fill up with water but if you have he belt tight and the bungee around your chest tight enough it will slow the fill drastically also the waders will eventually fill completely with water creating neutral buoyancy and you can swim with them full although a little heavy you can survive and if you are wearing a proper life jacket the waders fillin up will not pull you under i have tried this in a pool and have also practiced flipping my yak in the ocean and in the pool to practice getting in and out. also i hang my feet off the sides all the time and i do alot of ocean fishing and have never had a problem with sharks.

Got_fish?
02-05-2013, 05:29 PM
i started out in the malibu lagoon for anyone wondering where to start
perfect place to start, even when it gets windy its not so bad, besides a ranger told us as were going in not to worry about anything, if we flipped the kayak hed roll on over on his boat to help us.

Armofisher818
02-05-2013, 06:20 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OYwG52p4yjs