PDA

View Full Version : BUYing a BOAT, NEED ADVICE and wisdom thoughts...

BeMorWize
04-24-2007, 09:41 PM
Hey All,

I'm looking at a 16.6ft fiberglass tri-hull Center Console boat with a 70hp 'FORCE' Mercury Marine O/B- out board motor. Its a 1995 Reef Runner by Invader and I believe the motor is a 95 also, pretty sure.

The owner said this boat was rarely used, 1 every month or two just for half days. The boat has no cracks, on or in the boat and the paint is almost scratchless, including under the bow and no, the boat has never been repainted. This boat has:

- 1995 70hp 'FORCE' Mercury Marine o/b motor. [motor starts good and runs smoothly, didn't notice any bad idles or anything, but i"m not a boat owner so I don't know what to look or listen to]

- a gavinized trailer that is in pretty good condition.

- motor steers/tilts by power

- Live bait tank (25 gallons I think), that is also in very good condition.
[it also has a stock 4 gallon? bait tank in the rear]

- 9 Rod holders, 6 rod holders on the side of the boat and 3 on the side of the console.

- 2 round seats for the driver + passenger (2). In front of the console has a bench seat for (2). And 1 more seat in the front facing the console. 5 seats and the max seating is 6.

- radio of some sort for emergency call or talking with other boaters?

- boat cover in good condition.

- Boat bimimi top? m/s... also in good condition.

- metal rail? that goes across the boat.

- 20 gallon gas tank built inside the boat somewhere?

Overall, I think the boat is in pretty good condition but I dont know how much its worth to start negotiating a price. He said come up with a number and we'll take it from there. I've checked on line and a similar one is selling for 5500 but its in COLORADO, and it only has a 40hp o/b. What do you think its worth? I wish free but its not a price hes looking for, haha. Any opinions/thoughts/2 cents is welcome, hopefully with the right advice I might be able to get the boat I've been dreaming about for 5 years...I was dreaming of any boat, but this is the one I came across. I know w/o pics, its usless but I"ll get some pics in 2-3 days for sure. Waiting for my frend to upload from the cam. The guy selling the boat is a frend of a relative, so I know its somewhat of a legit deal and not a f*d up motor. Thanks in advance for all your replies.

-John

jaylee71
04-24-2007, 11:29 PM
Nada blue book says the force is worth about $590 in average condition and hull is worth another $2200 in average condition. total Nada value is $2790.00. Add something for the trailer and guess you can start the dealing around $3000. You can always start low and work your way up if the seller doesn't bite.

http://www.nadaguides.com

Monkeerow
04-25-2007, 10:41 AM
ill tell you dont pull the trigger unless
1) your happy with the condition and know what your getting into
2)Your happy with price
take your time and look around trust me there are some awsome deals out there i made the mistake of being anxious and buying a 18' bayliner 3 years for 1700... with all the work and head akes, blood and tears total was about 4k finally i was happy but then i came across this beauty and sold my fist one i only got what i paid for it originally. so take your time and do your homework

hookemdano
04-25-2007, 12:07 PM
All good advice. I would just add that whatever you decide to buy, get the motor checked out by a boat mechanic - just to make sure there is nothing major to worry about.

Wildhorse1966
04-25-2007, 02:38 PM
i would offer 4K and see where it goes from there you and i both know its worth 5k and if they will take 4 for it then you got a deal

muskyman
04-26-2007, 12:04 AM
Like the other dude said - you have got to get that motor looked at by a mechanic and check the cylinders dude, it will be worth the 50 bucks or whatever the mechanic charges. With a tri-hull boat you are not gonna get much in the means of fuel consumption, they get bad fuel mileage. And with your prices out there, you may wanna think about that. Unless your not gonna do alot of running in it. I would defintely shop around for a while though, and have a mechanic who is willing to be mobile and check out the boat with you. Also check out that trailer dude. Many people fail to realize the trailer is what gets you to the water, and many used trailers are not taken care of. Ad saltwater and you have another variable in itself. Take note what type of set up the axle is - whether it's a spindle through the hub, or one that requires you to dis-assemble the entire thing to repack it. Again, this all depends on how much trailering you plan on doing, and what type of maintenance you will be doing. Consider the engine too and how much maintenance you are willing to put in on an older engine. Either way, a boat is a big hole you will always throw money into...................... and the hole never gets filled ! :lol:

grimpy
04-26-2007, 11:27 AM
I second the big hole theory! :)

I've had a 93 70hp Force by Mercury.... It was a good outboard, didn't have any problems with it. Just make sure that one is well maintained.

If you are going to be pricing stuff, I say use eBay as a guide... It is the ultimate buyers market....

There is a 95 70hp force outboard right now on eBay w/o power tilt/trim already at $635 with 3 days still remaining on the auction...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Force-Ou ... 4013QQrdZ1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Force-Outboard-70-HP-Controls-Excellent-Condition_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ111124QQihZ00 5QQitemZ150115264013QQrdZ1)

Sounds like a sweet boat... You have any pictures of this boat?

Does it look something like this?
http://www.boatingvermont.com/preenjoyed/reefrunner.jpg
This one is a 93 15' with an 01 40hp Honda four stroke going for $6995

I wouldn't pay more than $5k for any used boat without a four stroke or is at least EPA friendly.

BeMorWize
04-26-2007, 06:50 PM
THANK YOU for the advice FELLAS, really, it put alot of thought and stress on me for the last couple of days, wondering how I"m going to pay for it and what to tow it with. Big changes but good things happen for a good reason. I have put $1000 on it and most likely will pick it up if everything goes well. Hes a friend of the families so we've arranged it that if all doesn't go well, I can get back what I put down as a reserve.

Also, the seller is a Friend of the families, not to close but a 10yr+ friend that use to work with my uncle. He says the motor is in good condition, rarely takes out the boat, maybe 6-9 times a Year for a couple of hours..... He said all I need is a Reg TUNE-UP and then I'm good to hit the waters. ALso, might be a small leak behind the prop..he says its the seal and it needs to be replaced...does that cost much? Either then that, it started up nicely and sounds strong!

Once again, thanks to all that gave input. I still have one week to make a Final decesion so please GIVE your 2 CENTS if you can....

Here is a picture of the same boat I"m planning to buy. It is NOT the boat, just the same model, color, length etc. ALso, the pic has a different 40-50hp o/b on it, where as the one I'm looking at has a 70hp Merc Marine FORCE.(not like it makes a difference?)

This is what the other guy is selling his for.....

Price: US$ 5,500
Builder: invader
Model: reef runner
Year 1995
Length 16'
Weight 3500
Engine Make mercury force
Engine Hours 50
Trailer: Yes

I will have pictures by this weekend on Sunday, I work O/T so I wont be able to until SUnday...so please stand by...thanks for your patience and thoughts.

-John

grimpy
04-26-2007, 09:44 PM
Looks like a pretty sweet boat but is that other guys info correct, 3500lbs???

How much did you end up offering him for it if you don't mind?

***EDIT, nevermind just read that you are still unsure what you are going to get it for***

BeMorWize
04-29-2007, 11:20 AM
Bump^^^

C'on guys, need some more advice here.... Gotta make a DECISION by TOMORROW, SUNDAY...

Whats a good number $$$ to start negotiating for this boat?... :?:

grimpy
04-29-2007, 10:46 PM
I would say $4000 max... Unless you really want it... $4500...

BeMorWize
05-03-2007, 12:19 PM
I had a ???

For a 70-hp FORCE Mercury Marine o/b/ motor, is it DVL regulated? or no?... Model is believe is 1995 also...

grimpy
05-03-2007, 12:40 PM
definately not DVL legal...

It is a 2 stroke that requires pre mixing 50:1.

Also if the wind blows the right direction, you'll be smelling the fumes... But it is a good outboard and packs a good amount of punch when you open it up.

basscaptain
05-03-2007, 01:43 PM
it looks like a 4000.00 -4500.00 $ boat as for the Froce I had a 90hp 1995 and it was 1 of the sweetist motors I have owned. Mine could set for 2 years and start up right off the bat. you will have to have that lower unit seal fix RIGHT AWAY before the boat goes in the water so thats going to cost you some money.

Its not something you can do unless you know alot about Motors and are REAL Handy. I would think your looking at about 400.00 to get it fix, and if they have to pull the lower unit to do it have them replace the Impuler

So I would Start at 3750.00 and stop at 4000.00

Thats my 2 cents worth

fishfinder
05-03-2007, 07:31 PM
thats a long way to go for a trihull.
i would be very carefull and would take t for a 3 hour tour. running it a trolling speeds and high speeds. i just bought a boat an i am having problems with it. fortunatly i am under warranty. check oil, any maintence records. cables wires. evrything electrical, including trailer lights. make a list of items before you get there, and if you are driving long distance to get a boat. you are at the mercy of the seller if he knows that. he knows for another 500 you aren't going home without the boat.
i would seriously consider buying a boat from some-one i know or a dealer with a warranty. usually they give you a 30 day warranty, to find any problems, and then you need to take it out and use it as much as you can in that 30 days. they will usually fix anything like a new car warranty(bumper to bumper)
remember this old saying "the 2 best days of owning a boat are the day you buy it, and the day you sell it"

BeMorWize
05-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Guys,

Thanks for all the time and advice given. I really REALLY appreciate it as I am now a NEW* Boat owner. It went for what you guys estimated, only thing is "hes sure" its a good 5k-5500 worth. I got alot of goodies that were in GREAT condition as a Family friend hook-up. The boat is really in great condition as the motor too, juss that small SEAL leak, which he said was $100-150 to fix, plus the tune-up a good $500 before she goes in the water.

Please, if you have any suggestions or advice on being a boat owner with a O/B motor, all suggestions and 2 cents are welcome. I want to keep the boat as clean and in GOOD condition as I possibly can as I don't plan on buying another one until a Very, very, very long time.

Also, if any of you guys know a GREAT Mechanic for o/b motors or a Company I can take it to for the Tune-up, I'd also greatly appreciate that. I have been searching but I want to take her to a place that I can trust, or one that you *boat owners* can trust. Also, any hook-ed up price is great, please advise me.

Thanks FNN, boat owners, and mostly the PEOPLE who contributed to make this dream happen for me. Thank you guys. Really, I'd like to meet up sometimes to get a few pointers on maintaining her and also, maybe sometime you guys can hope aboard if you don't wanna take your *baby* out..... (boat of course) :oops:

-JOHN

grimpy
05-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Sweet congrats! So did you take it home yet? Wheres the pics! :) Also you may want to hurry and find a shop to bring it to.... Alot of shops are going to be backed up for the summer rush.

On a side note... not sure if you followed the eBay link but that 95 Force without power tilt/trim sold for $1000 just to give you an idea of the market value of that outboard.

Don't forget to fill the tank every outting as well... I would recommend changing the lower unit gear yourself... It's easy as pie... Don't pay someone a grip to get it done.

Also not sure if that outboard is like my old one... but I had to put it in neutral and give it a bit of throttle on cold starts or it would take forever to start. I was never told this and on my first few outtings... I would just choke it and try to start it... Took like 10-20 minutes each time... Then I found out about putting it into neutral and giving it a bit of throttle... After it would start on the first try....

fishfinder
05-04-2007, 09:56 PM
looks like we are all buying boats right now. congrats to another owner. now the fish will be jumping on your line. i hope anyways. i just bought this crestliner. last month for 10k and already had her out 4 times. lake crowley here i come.........