PDA

View Full Version : Trout rod question (Phenix based)

Cadillyak
12-26-2012, 03:24 PM
As far as trout rods are concerned, I have narrowed it down to two. I would love to get the iron fether, but can't see myself paying almost $500 for a trout rod. Anyways, I am wondering the differences in the Phenix Mirage vs. the Phenix Elixer. They are both priced around one another so I am wondering what have anglers using both seen in regards to differences. I came to this conclusion after being out on my tube and not getting the action that I was looking for when fishing my trout worms on my stiffer rod (Carrotstix, yea yea yea I know). Any advice is greatly appreciated in this matter.

Prowler_Tuber
12-26-2012, 03:51 PM
As far as trout rods are concerned, I have narrowed it down to two. I would love to get the iron fether, but can't see myself paying almost $500 for a trout rod. Anyways, I am wondering the differences in the Phenix Mirage vs. the Phenix Elixer. They are both priced around one another so I am wondering what have anglers using both seen in regards to differences. I came to this conclusion after being out on my tube and not getting the action that I was looking for when fishing my trout worms on my stiffer rod (Carrotstix, yea yea yea I know). Any advice is greatly appreciated in this matter.

Iron Feathers Break go with the Elixir but Look at Seekers Trout Rods they are bad *****

Frequent Flyer
12-26-2012, 05:21 PM
The Elixer is what most fish with because it is more suited for dropshotting, slipshotting and not specifically designed for mini jigs like the mirage. That is why the mirage has a moderate action tip and the Elixer has a fast action. The Elixer gets the job done when using mini jigs bough, pretty much an all around rod

Cadillyak
12-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Thanks prowler_tuber and frequent flyer, the elixer is starting to look more and more appealing.

vegas fish slayer
12-27-2012, 04:35 PM
I have a pair of Phenix Elixrs that BB Rod Bob made for me. I absolutely love them. I got a 7'6 and a 8'. I have fished all kinds of rods Fenwick, Loomis, Browning. My Phenixs are by far the nicest quality sensitive rods i have ever used. Well worth the money. You should talk to Bob about some customs cuz the price is fairly close to off the shelf and you can get them anyway you want. Just my 2 cents

Cadillyak
12-27-2012, 09:45 PM
So I just picked up an elixir and am wondering if I should get a ci4 in a 1000 or 2500 size reel. My rod is 7ft and rated 2-6lbs.

angelsfan951
12-27-2012, 10:44 PM
1000 would be perfect. i think i saw one on here for sale

Cadillyak
12-28-2012, 07:55 AM
True True. I was leaning toward the 1000 size but had a few tell me that I should go for the 2500. I think I am going to go for the 1000 size though. There is one on here for sale but it is the FML version (used primarily for braid) and not the F version which is the one I am looking for. Anybody looking to sell a Ci4 1000F????

camo
12-28-2012, 10:42 AM
For jigging you want a 1000 size reel. Also for trout jigging the rod is more important than the reel. A smooth consistent drag with no flat spots is what matters for landing dd's on 2lb. I would suggest getting a Sahara for a lot cheaper over a CI4. I have multiple Saharas that I have used over the years for trout jigging 750s and 1000s. I also have a CI4 and I don't think it is bounds and heaps better for the price difference. Do as you choose its your cash. Just giving you my two cents.

FKNChristopH
12-28-2012, 11:49 AM
Coming into this a little later but I agree with the phenix elixir being the best rods for trout, hands down. I have a pair of 8' that I wrapped and they are the ****. I use them for everything trout lol. Mini jigs/blades/drop shot/split shot/bait and wait, and they are good. Some blanks are different so I use the softer one for mini jigs and the stiffer one for cranks.

I couldn't be happier and their warranty service is amazing. No questions asked, just pay a small fee.

I never use over a 1000 size reel for trout, I'd go smaller if I could for the tube. It's just easier. Any big trout will get chased down in my toob. I'm using a symetre fj and I love it. I'm saving for a straidic currently.. Ill probably go with the fml model. I like braid and flouro combinations good luck!

*shakkaaa*

vegas fish slayer
12-28-2012, 01:32 PM
I actually have caught stripers on my Elixr the 8 footer on 2lb. Did it for shi_s and giggles. Schooler stripers in the 20" range. Retarded fun on 2lb.