PDA

View Full Version : float tubing fins

the killa fish taco
12-26-2012, 07:53 AM
Just wonderinh, what type of fins do you use and do you think they are the best?

I use the Hotspot Fins NOW over my Forcefins.

FKNChristopH
12-26-2012, 07:58 AM
I've used my caddis step in fins for over 10 years lol

I like em, just to cheap to buy a new puurrrrrr.

Ill probably go hot spot next

*shaakkkkaaaa*

seal
12-26-2012, 08:01 AM
I like um too, over 25 years or so in the Caddis type fins.

bassfishing24/7
12-26-2012, 06:01 PM
I use Tusa Imprex Dive Fins.

Prowler_Tuber
12-26-2012, 06:14 PM
I tie Palm Leafs to my waders and do it like my ancestors before me

Sir.Snags.A.Lot
12-26-2012, 06:24 PM
I use Tusa Xpert Zoom dive fins.

.:LOLLY:.
12-27-2012, 06:18 AM
I use hotspots

Surfnsnowboard3
12-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Force fins and yes I think they are the best. Expensive but well worth it.

seal
12-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Force fins and yes I think they are the best. Expensive but well worth it.

I see the price point is over $200.00 for the Force "fishing" fins. This is not intended to cause trouble but my curiosity is peaked when it comes to these fins and the price point. I've said many times I don't get it cause I can kick all day without fatigue in a normal pair of Caddis type fins (yes wind is always a concern) but obviously I am not going to get the speed that the Force Fins have but at the same time wonder why speed is critical? Also I've been a body surfer all my life, spent more time at the Wedge and other major body surfing breaks than I can tell ya, so I understand good fins vs. poor especially when it apply's to different applications.

I cannot envision a pair of fins for float tubing having such a tremendous improvement that they be worth as much as a decent float tube costs? Lot's of discussion on this subject but I haven't seen much substance, for $200 I want substance before I spend that kind of cash for fins.

Please enlighten me.

Surfnsnowboard3
12-27-2012, 01:45 PM
I see the price point is over $200.00 for the Force "fishing" fins. This is not intended to cause trouble but my curiosity is peaked when it comes to these fins and the price point. I've said many times I don't get it cause I can kick all day without fatigue in a normal pair of Caddis type fins (yes wind is always a concern) but obviously I am not going to get the speed that the Force Fins have but at the same time wonder why speed is critical? Also I've been a body surfer all my life, spent more time at the Wedge and other major body surfing breaks than I can tell ya, so I understand good fins vs. poor especially when it apply's to different applications.

I cannot envision a pair of fins for float tubing having such a tremendous improvement that they be worth as much as a decent float tube costs? Lot's of discussion on this subject but I haven't seen much substance, for $200 I want substance before I spend that kind of cash for fins.

Please enlighten me.

Ill start with two things.

First, my force fins were a gift.

Second, I am a cheap mo fo.

With that said, I would NOT pay full price for force fins. Way too much money. With that said, I've used hotspot (borrowed for the day) and cheap fins that came with the tube. The Force are best buy far.

With what you said, I would not buy them if I were you. I'd suspect you won't see much of a difference.

seal
12-27-2012, 02:03 PM

With that said, I would NOT pay full price for force fins. Way too much money. With that said, I've used hotspot (borrowed for the day) and cheap fins that came with the tube. The Force are best buy far.

With what you said, I would not buy them if I were you. I'd suspect you won't see much of a difference.

Thanks!

Good to put this stuff in perspective before somebody goes out and robs a bank to buy a pair.

Cadillyak
12-27-2012, 02:30 PM

x2

I love my force fins, granted I didn't pay full price either. I got lucky enough to find someone on craigslist who just wanted to get rid of them. He knew they were good fins, but didn't know what they were used for. We settled at $60 bucks and on my way back to my car, with fins in hand, had a grin from ear to ear like I just won the lotto. They are out there, just gotta keep an eye out for a good deal.

geedavell
12-27-2012, 06:55 PM
bought Force Fins on Ebay for $85. I'm 50y/o and those hard as a rock caddis fins kill my knees. Definitely worth $85 for me !

seal
12-27-2012, 08:11 PM
bought Force Fins on Ebay for $85. I'm 50y/o and those hard as a rock caddis fins kill my knees. Definitely worth $85 for me !

Well old man I'm 50 also, I'd suggest more lubricants when tubing, beer is a fine lubricant. But still $85 isn't too bad, 200+ is a different story!

phishin phool
12-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Hey Seal, beer is fine but it makes ya want to beach it every half hour to pee:Big Grin: My bladder isn't what it used to be. I prefer Rockstar Blue these days, less pee breaks and more energy. On the topic of fins I had a pair of Outcast step in fins (about $35) for a few years, served me very well, have had Hotspots for the last couple, love em. Peace
Well old man I'm 50 also, I'd suggest more lubricants when tubing, beer is a fine lubricant. But still $85 isn't too bad, 200+ is a different story!

HBAR
12-27-2012, 08:47 PM
I've had a pair of browning fins for a really long time, now that I've been tubing more lately then I did when I bought them, I've found that after a few hours I'm done especially with recent knee scope done. I keep looking at those force fins they look like I may be able to move quicker with them then what I have, hopefully one day I'll have a pair, I did find a fly fishing shop in Van Nuys called "The fisherman's spot" that had/has them for under 175 or so. The only problem I see with the force fins (well 2nd major problem besides the price) is that they don't float, so just have to make sure to get ankle straps.

OC ANGLER
12-28-2012, 12:42 AM
Ive only used Hotspots since the beginning so I dont have anything to compare to but they are great fins IMO Got lucky and scored a pair BN for $30. From what ive been told Hotspots offer more thrust then the Force Fins however force fins can be easier to maneuver around .

socal_native
12-28-2012, 09:27 AM
I have force fins, but like some others I got a package deal that included them. I've used other step-in fins and there is a definite difference.

My caddis pro 1000 keeps my butt in the water. It is not close to being as fast as the pvc bottomed v-tubes but I can move as fast or faster than almost everyone I've tubed with.

Also I have a badly sprained mcl and stretched acl that have not healed but I've been able to continue to tube using the force fins.
I actually have more problems getting out of my car and walking to the water than kicking around.

Are they worth the cost difference? I don't think so. Especially if the extra cost limits how many times you can travel to go fishing.

Are they BETTER than most step-ins?
Yes.

seal
12-28-2012, 09:38 AM
I have force fins, but like some others I got a package deal that included them. I've used other step-in fins and there is a definite difference.

My caddis pro 1000 keeps my butt in the water. It is not close to being as fast as the pvc bottomed v-tubes but I can move as fast or faster than almost everyone I've tubed with.

Also I have a badly sprained mcl and stretched acl that have not healed but I've been able to continue to tube using the force fins.
I actually have more problems getting out of my car and walking to the water than kicking around.

Are they worth the cost difference? I don't think so. Especially if the extra cost limits how many times you can travel to go fishing.

Are they BETTER than most step-ins?
Yes.

I have had no ACL for over 20 years and minimal meniscus left just keep on kick'n!

I think it's funny your fins are more valuable than your tube!

camo
12-28-2012, 10:04 AM
I'm with seal I use $25 cheapies they get the job done never had any issues with them.

socal_native
12-28-2012, 12:51 PM
I have had no ACL for over 20 years and minimal meniscus left just keep on kick'n!

I think it's funny your fins are more valuable than your tube!

I couldn't pass it up: new tube, new waders, new force fins, new booties, fin leashes, pfd for less than a fc4 on sale.

Heck I have more in metal lures, that I carry in it, than it cost new.
Almost every single item I use to fish cost more than it!

Poxy Boggards
01-04-2013, 03:26 PM
Force fins and hot spots are both great fins. I have both and have used both many times, and my personal preference is the Force Fins. I have the older slip on style force fins, and they cost me $60 bucks, found them on the classsifieds here. In my opinion, what you sacrifice in thrust is more than made up for in ease of kicking with the Force Fins.

seal
01-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Force fins and hot spots are both great fins. I have both and have used both many times, and my personal preference is the Force Fins. I have the older slip on style force fins, and they cost me $60 bucks, found them on the classsifieds here. In my opinion, what you sacrifice in thrust is more than made up for in ease of kicking with the Force Fins.

Yea I would think why do you need good speed off the line when tubing? I relate it to hiking or long distance running, just get in a comfortable groove.

Maybe one day I'll join you guys out at the dragstrip (Irvine Lake) and we'll have a tube race, if it's 100 yards I'm gonna loose bad if it's to Sierra Cove and back I may have a shot, lol!