PDA

View Full Version : Going to big bear

Jbfish
12-25-2012, 10:37 PM
going with a buddy for 3 days tomorrow and wanna fish both the lake and any possible creeks or little rivers in the area. does anybody know of any good creeks or other bodies of water to fish other than the lake. were fine with hiking if we have to. also what are the best baits right now? hot colors, worms, meal worms, jigging, anything, and also what length of a leader? i was thinking like 4 ft? whats best if any body knows please help! thanks FNN!!! *JBfish*

Sublime-Steve
12-26-2012, 04:19 AM
well... as far as creeks go i think there all off limits but i could be wrong. I dont know much about trout.. but try tossing smaller kastmasters. drop shotting power worms and soaking power bait.. Make your leader about 18 inch's im sure most the weeds are dead and those trout r eating things off the bottom or floating near the bottom. Or try a nite crawler under a bobber early in the morning. might go up there thursday.. good luck!

Skyler
12-26-2012, 12:12 PM
well... as far as creeks go i think there all off limits but i could be wrong. I dont know much about trout.. but try tossing smaller kastmasters. drop shotting power worms and soaking power bait.. Make your leader about 18 inch's im sure most the weeds are dead and those trout r eating things off the bottom or floating near the bottom. Or try a nite crawler under a bobber early in the morning. might go up there thursday.. good luck!

The only creeks that have a season up there are tributaries to the main lake. If it doesn't flow into Big Bear, then it is open. However, the temps have been getting down into the 10-15 degree mark lately, so the fish in the creeks will not be very active, and you'll be lucky to get them to play. A better bet is the deeper spots on the lake such as the dam. It's pretty much a bait and wait affair. The fish are sluggish, and don't want to chase lures. Plus your hands will go numb pretty quick if you are repeatedly casting.