PDA

View Full Version : New G Ride (updated with pontoon wheel review)

tacklejunkie
09-04-2007, 08:01 PM
I gave in to the Dark Side. :roll: It's all Ron's fault! :P
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/DSC_2404.jpg
Purchased a Fish Cat Cougar a few days ago, cashola. There goes the rest of my saved motorcycle money!

Just need a trolling motor and casting deck now. There's a few things I've added already that aren't shown like an anchor and rope for the pulley system. My cooler fits right in the frame square too.

This thing is heavier than hell! It's like a golf cart for fishing :lol: The seat riser comes off untill I get the motor and casting deck.

ghetto dad
09-04-2007, 08:02 PM
p.i.m.p!!!!! nice man!!!!

FishSum
09-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Booya! :thumb:

Ronira
09-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Man TJ, thats one styling ride. I love it. You guys are making me feel like Darth Tooner. I want to swap with you for a little bit next time we fish and check that bad boy out. It looks stable as heck.

Socal Bassman
09-04-2007, 08:29 PM
That is a nice ride TJ. I really like the double bladders on each side for safety reasons.

Z-TUNAKILLER
09-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Hey Now tacklejunkie, NICE !

tj, how tall is your seat riser ?

Z

FISH ON !

one_leg
09-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Nice!!!!!!!

But where is the Bubbler holder? I don't see it anywhere.

One_Leg

rocklee
09-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Man, tacklejunkie
you sure do life up to your name,
didn't you just brought the float tube!

your Fish Cat Cougar looks awesome by the way!
I didn't know that those kind of seat where made for personal pontoons.
Can't wait to see the report with the pontoon!

FYI, you need to register to boat with the DMV if you want to put a trolling motor on it.

Have Fun on it!!!

tacklejunkie
09-04-2007, 09:47 PM
tj, how tall is your seat riser ?
13", purchased from walmart for $10. Didn't get a swivel because I want the seat to remain stationary. Will be good to have something stable to lean on so I don't fall off :lol:

But where is the Bubbler holder? I don't see it anywhere.
:secret: I havn't made a secret stash on it yet!

FYI, you need to register to boat with the DMV if you want to put a trolling motor on it.
Shouldn't be any problem. I have a DMV near by and I just read the papers for registration. It will be a little bit before I can put a motor on it, so I have plenty of time to get it numbered. :wink: I will be rowing and anchoring for now.

I didn't know that those kind of seat where made for personal pontoons.
I got the idea from Ron. they have the seat risers down at walmart. I guess it's pretty much a universal thing for boats

matt duarte
09-04-2007, 09:51 PM
holy crap TJ! you went all out on the pontube! all or nothing huh :lol:
sweet! can't wait to see that thing I bet you can even stand on the toons them self!

bubbler holder huh? good thinking OL looks like ill need 2 drink caddys! one for drinks and the other for.......

Skyler
09-04-2007, 10:24 PM
You need to admit that you have a problem, and get help soon! Jeebus christ you got a lot of toys, lol. Nice 'toon though. Can't wait to see it in action.

Z-TUNAKILLER
09-04-2007, 10:28 PM
hey tj, with your seat up that high are you going to be able to row that thing?

i read on one of the toon websites, that having a seat up to high is not a good position for rowing or stability, it stated that high seats were recommended for still water and/or use with a trolling motor only.

Z

FISH ON !

tacklejunkie
09-04-2007, 10:29 PM
It's just on there for looks in that photo. I won't be using the seat riser untill I have the motor in place and I don't have to row any more :bigsmile:
Here is how she looks without the riser. (stock)
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/couger1.jpg

Socal Bassman
09-04-2007, 11:27 PM
No more toon pics... Too hard to resist... Must resist the dark side... LMAO.

Ronira
09-05-2007, 02:36 AM
Hey TJ, my seat riser is only 7 inches. That one looks a little tall but who knows. I can row mine pretty good at the height it's set at. Very cool bro.

matt duarte
09-05-2007, 06:57 AM
so a trolling motor will push these things all day? are you going to keep the oars on the boat TJ? what happens if the battery dies and rons not their to save us this time :lol:

tacklejunkie
09-05-2007, 07:26 AM
True that, maybe I could use the shorter riser.
I'll have to see when I get the motor.
The 40lb thrust Minn Kotas just went down at walmart. They are now $140.. (used to be $168)
I read some reviews on them and they seem like the motor to get. I might be registering this thing sooner than later.

when you register it, do they just give you the papers right then and there, or do you have to wait?

tacklejunkie
09-05-2007, 07:42 AM
It's a Miracle! lol,
The whole thing fits in the car with room for a deep cycle battery and I might even be able to squeeze a motor in there too!
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/squishedcar1.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/squishedcar.jpg

No more toon pics... Too hard to resist... Must resist the dark side... LMAO If you would have seen Ron haulin *** in his toon I bet you'd have one already! :lol: After seeing him haul 3 ride bumming tubers, I knew it was all over.

Ronira
09-05-2007, 07:47 AM
Yeh TJ, shorten that riser and your good to go. If mine was any higher I would have a hard time rowing it for sure. As it is now works just right and my riser height is 7 inches. Dude just saw the pics of your boat in the 2000. That rocks

socalfishing
09-05-2007, 08:27 AM
Where do you put the harpon? I just full of envey because I can't afford or move something like that around.

sponger_2
09-05-2007, 08:45 AM
wow, looks good tj. how long does it take you to break down the toon to fit it in the car? i think id go some kind of small trailer.

Z-TUNAKILLER
09-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Hey Now tj, I thought that riser looked tall, I went with the same as Ron's seat height 7".

If your going to spend the $$$$ for a trolling motor, your toon dose have a aluminum frame, like Ron said, he wished he had purchased a Minn Kota Riptide 40/S. they also have them at Walmart, I checked a few weeks ago and they were sold out, but i just looked this morning and there back on the WM web-site rollback $219.98, you may want to spend a few more buck's ?

do those rod float foam zip-tie deals work, where do you get them, i have a piece of foam pipe insulation, will that work ?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=5297232 (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5297232)

Z

FISH ON !

tacklejunkie
09-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Where do you put the harpon?
In the Oar holder mang! :twisted:

It is a nice boat, but I'm passing up what I had saved for a GSXR 1000 anniversary edition in return. :roll: :x

tacklejunkie
09-05-2007, 04:38 PM
do those rod float foam zip-tie deals work, where do you get them, i have a piece of foam pipe insulation, will that work ?
Yup, they work good. Check out Socal's Rod floater review. I bought mine at the bass pro shop..
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum1/viewtopic.php?t=7283

Just printed and filled out the registration papers. Will probably go bring them to the DMV soon and get it over with.

Not sure what trolling motor yet. Thanks for the heads up Z! I'm still not sure how I feel about getting in the ocean on a dingy though :lol:

Z-TUNAKILLER
09-05-2007, 04:59 PM
OK tj, yeah I hear you, I'm just going to start out in the harbor and work my way up to full on ocean kelp paddy hopping.... I also hope to get a few fellow tooners to go with, that way we can watch each others back ?

I'll give that pipe foam a try, see if it floats in my Jacuzzi ? :lol:

Z

FISH ON !

Socal Bassman
09-05-2007, 06:38 PM
I was just going to ask you the question about transporting a toon TJ. My car's not much bigger either (Honda Civic). I guess when it comes the time when I buy a toon, I'll just have to steal the Explorer from the wife :lol:.

Then again, maybe I'll just be different and invest in that hybrid pontube. I'm really digging the design of that craft. Plus I can add a trolling motor. It's like a Super Fat Cat on steroids LOL.

tacklejunkie
09-05-2007, 07:23 PM
"The force is strong in this one" :twisted:

I was just going to ask you the question about transporting a toon TJ. My car's not much bigger either (Honda Civic). I guess when it comes the time when I buy a toon, I'll just have to steal the Explorer from the wife Laughing.

Then again, maybe I'll just be different and invest in that hybrid pontube. I'm really digging the design of that craft. Plus I can add a trolling motor. It's like a Super Fat Cat on steroids LOL.
We should have him fighting the rebels any day now! :twisted:

Ronira
09-05-2007, 07:29 PM
But you can't put a standing deck on it and you can't raise the seat height

Socal Bassman
09-05-2007, 08:47 PM
"The force is strong in this one" :twisted:
We should have him fighting the rebels any day now! :twisted:
:rofl: You crack me up TJ.

But my loyalties still lie with the tubing rebels. Just for how long is the question now though.

tacklejunkie
09-06-2007, 03:20 PM
Just had an EXCELLENT day at Perris today on the new 'Toon! I'll get the report going soon! Toons for life! :lol:

Ronira
09-06-2007, 03:51 PM
And so another embraces the dark side. Together we shall rule THE FISHERY

tacklejunkie
09-06-2007, 05:10 PM
:lol:
check it out
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum1/viewtopic.php?t=7614

tacklejunkie
09-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Had another mission on my 'toon yesterday.
I am proceeding to make a standup deck and a rod holder.
The standup deck will be a welcomed change from standing on my seat and losing my balance 10 times a day. Need to add the rod holder so I can use a few rods instead of 2. One for drop shot, one for texas rig, one for cranks and one for wirebaits. Need to be able to switch rigs on the fly!

Also need to grease up the right oar holder. It was giving me a little bit of a squeek.

To do list:
Standing deck
Rod holder
lightly grease the oar holders
Seat swivel
trolling motor and battery
(in no particular order)

Ronira
09-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Your toons gonna be sick buddy. Can't wait to see what you do for a standing deck. That and a motor will change you forever.

matt duarte
09-09-2007, 11:35 PM
ya toons are sweet I had a great time out their testing her out and breaking her in with those bass...I should of stayed longer....

but ya I'm going to make a new rod holder as well...mine holds 2 but more is awalys better.. I have a standing deck made I just need to cut the slots to clear the down tubes that are in the way.... also I picked up a 7'' seat riser and and swivel.... I still need a anchor a trolling motor and what ever else my crazy brain can think of... I really want a live well that would be awsome!

Ronira
09-10-2007, 05:04 AM
I think a live well would be cool Matt, it would be cumbersome and take up a lot of space and water weighs 8 lbs a gallon. So If you had a twenty gallon live well the water in it would weigh 25 lbs more than Matt. hmmmmmmm. Might need a bigger sled.

matt duarte
09-10-2007, 07:04 AM
ya it wouldn't be the greatest for everyday toonin, but when I get a sweet fish tank you will see a small live well :lol:

oh ya I took my fins with me on saturday...and boy do these toons go a heck of a lot faster than a tube with fins!

before I get a trolling motor I think I'm going to get a fish finder so I know the depth I'm in and water temp.. it wasn't to hard rowing but ill give in sooner or later

Ronira
09-10-2007, 07:19 AM
Yeh matt, I hear on the fishtank thing. Rowing a toon takes a little practice but once you figure it out it's sweet. I've never used mine as a kickboat because I won't give up my standing deck for any reason. It just works to well. Next time we get together to fish I'll show you a daggerboard attachment idea I have that should work really well and be instantly retractable for shallow draft applications. I think it's going to be sweet.

Z-TUNAKILLER
09-10-2007, 06:04 PM
Hey Ron, do you have a leaning rail.... if not, have you ever fallen in the water trying to standing up or casting ?

Z

FISH ON !

Ronira
09-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Hey Z, No and No. Once you relax and get the hang of it it's all good. When I first started I felt a bit shakey, but now I can stand and bounce and fish very comfortably. I've even jumped up and down on the deck to check out my comfort level and the more I use it the more I'm comfortable with it. I've had my toon for two years now and I'm starting to love it more than when I bought it. I think the leaning bar would be in my way. That being said, when I first started out I thought it would be a good idea.

Fisher-of-Men
09-11-2007, 06:01 AM
Nice lookin Rig!

:thumb:

Fisher-of-Men

shy_boxer
09-12-2007, 01:35 PM
TJ- That sh*t is PIMP~!!! I swear you must be a master at tetris because I do not know how you fit all your gear in your ride~! Amazing~!

tacklejunkie
11-07-2007, 07:33 AM
The G-ride is getting wheels! :lol:
Those waterskeeter wheels at Cabellas just came back into stock!
Get 'em while they're hot! I just ordered mine this morning. They havn't had this part in stock for months!!!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... &noImage=0 (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=4YWL5PU3H4BYDLAQBBKCCNVMCAEFKI WE?id=0036588318951a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=pontoon+wheel&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=pontoon+wheel&noImage=0)

The reviews says the bolts are crappy, but I can grab some good bolts from Ace hardware down the street if I have problems!

After this, I just need a motor and a CF number 8)

mlyons310
11-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Should have bought my PAC 900 with the launching gear for $450. :wink: Have fun with your new pontoon. Can't go wrong with any Outcast products.

tacklejunkie
11-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Should have bought my PAC 900 with the launching gear for $450. :wink: Have fun with your new pontoon. Can't go wrong with any Outcast products.

I've had the pontoon for a short while now..
Just update the thread with the add ons as I go :wink:
Pontoons are great!

one_leg
11-09-2007, 01:06 AM
TJ, thanks for the updates.

I figure if enough of you guys, and gals, get 'Toons, I'll be able to con you into letting me take a test drive on each and every one of em, a few at a time, at different lakes.

And as long as people keep buying em I'll have a never ending supply of people showing me their lastest, and greatest, innovations on their 'Toons.

Whaddya say, Lake Perris next time out? :wink:

One_Leg

tacklejunkie
11-09-2007, 07:28 AM
Hell ya O_L! Come on by any time and jump on the 'toon bro! Would be nice to finally get to meet you too :wink:
These things are good fun. Just like a boat out there! Maybe not so fast, but I get around :lol:

Just got an update from Cabellas. No wonder that shipping was $7.. the wheel won't be here until the 15th :roll:

FR0G
11-09-2007, 08:18 AM
Hey, if I could afford it, I would join the darkside too dude. A toon would be soooooo awesome with a trolling motor on it.

Ronira
11-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Let me know when you test drive that bad boy TJ. I want to see it in action and maybe use some of their design :secret:

Granny Fish
11-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Booya! :thumb:

Yeah, what he said....

Sweet fishing machine. Congrats! :banana: :banana: :banana:

tacklejunkie
11-11-2007, 07:33 PM
Lol,
another new addition before the wheel even shows up..
I don't normally use a finder and I can still catch fish, so I thought a lesser expensive model would do. Hopefully this one won't burn out on me. :lol:

Just wondering, why did they charge me a $6 recycling fee when I bought it? Did anyone else have to pay a recycling fee with their finder? :|

Fearless
11-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Lol,
another new addition before the wheel even shows up..
I don't normally use a finder and I can still catch fish, so I thought a lesser expensive model would do. Hopefully this one won't burn out on me. :lol:

Just wondering, why did they charge me a $6 recycling fee when I bought it? Did anyone else have to pay a recycling fee with their finder? :|

A Recycling Fee.. Thats strange man!! U up for Some fishing on Monday TJ

tacklejunkie
11-22-2007, 09:34 AM
Promised an update on the wheel when it arrived and I had used it a few times.

The wheel arrived on time as Cabellas stated. It was double boxed and padded, so no damage to the unit in shipping at all. It's made to mount to a round tube, but my pontoon didn't have a round tube in the middle to mount the wheel to.
Although, anyone could probably find a way to mount this wheel on their pontoon.

I simply drilled a hole in my front standing deck. You slip the wheel/bolt assembly through the hole and secure the wingnut. The wheel will move if the wingnut is hand tight, so I take my fishing pliers and snug it down good.

It carries to the water through sand easily. I can truly launch solo at any lake with a 4 foot wide access trail. The wheel requires you to balance out the weight on each side of the toon a bit so you aren't tipping over, and it does tilt to the side even so if you aren't careful. It's like a wheelbarrow (sp?), so that is to be expected. The two wheels don't add much more side to side support than a single wheel would have, but they do help some and it's basically like pushing a loaded wheelbarrow. The bolt doesn't seem as weak as the reviews said it is, but then again I don't have a battery or trolling motor. My setup easily weighs 120lbs with everything on it, and the wheel handles the weight just fine, as well as all the hardware on the wheel.

I was able to pull this whole rig down from lots 11&12 and back up without straining my back at all, in a short amount of time, and all by myself. If you'd ask me, definitely worth $50! I give it 1.5 thumbs up. Would have given it 2 thumbs up if it secured tightly without using my fishing pliers, but thats no big deal really as they go with me everywhere (leatherman knockoff)

Drill a hole and you are mobile! It really is that easy.

Here is a pic or two..

pescado abajo
11-22-2007, 11:15 AM
lookin good, tj.
how much space does it take up?
can you fit it in the trunk of your ride?

tacklejunkie
11-22-2007, 11:18 AM
I stick it between two pieces of the frame that fit in my front seat. I always had the room for it and didn't even know it :lol: It doesn't take up any more room now than it did without it :wink:

The only thing holding me back from a trolling motor now is space in the car for the battery and motor.