PDA

View Full Version : What rig setup do people use to catch those 15lbs+ Rainbow Trout?

bo1xdream
12-22-2012, 08:03 PM
Do people intentionally go for the bigs ones using a bigger rig setup or can they be cause on 4lbs test line?

EfrenM
12-22-2012, 08:34 PM
last year i got my 14 pounder on 2 pound test line on orange jig

bo1xdream
12-22-2012, 08:54 PM
last year i got my 14 pounder on 2 pound test line on orange jig

hahaha nice~

Piss on Myspace
12-24-2012, 12:02 AM
Do people intentionally go for the bigs ones using a bigger rig setup or can they be cause on 4lbs test line?

Yup, you see it all the time...if you're after the big one, youre gonna need a 2 oz weight, 14# line and a surf pole..its the ONLY way to catch them

Oh and don't forget the Alabama rig of golfball sized powerbaits...

And oh lordy i almost forgot about the bite on...oh heavens the bite on...you gotsta have the bite on...you don't even need a hook or a pole...like the commercials, just spray some "Axe" and you'll get all the girls :whistle:

fishead
12-24-2012, 06:20 AM
Dang it i thought i knowed how to fish, but now i know how to catch the bigguns.

KingShad
12-27-2012, 08:49 PM
I got my DD trout at DVL on a Rapala jerk bait. So either use the small stuff you always use and its the luck of the draw, or try larger jigs/crank baits. 2lb test and small power mouses work just fine.

smokehound
12-27-2012, 09:06 PM
You're far less likely to have a trout shake the hook, as they chew their food, giving you ample time for a great hookset.

In addition, they dont have an extendable premaxilla (Like a bass's upper "lip") so they can spit things out very easily.

provided you tie knots properly and have your drag set correctly, you can catch BIG fish on 2 lb!

I use 4 lb for fat hen Baybass and it holds up to their tremendous strength and fierce headshakes.