PDA

View Full Version : Sick Trout?

PilgrimDG
12-21-2012, 06:07 PM
Stopped to fish a local lake today after yesterday's stocking. Trout were hanging out near shore and barely responsive. They weren't biting, but a couple of guys were netting them from shore and filling stringers. I have never seen this lake like this. There was a lot of algae and its been pretty cold lately. So best guess... Were these fish cold, sick, injured, or starved for oxygen?

Cadillyak
12-21-2012, 06:20 PM
My guess... Still loopy (sedated) from the trip.

PilgrimDG
12-21-2012, 06:46 PM
I didn't know they sedate fish for transport, but after some research, it sounds about right. Does it really take over 24 hours for it to wear off though?

Cadillyak
12-21-2012, 06:56 PM
I guess it could. It really all depends on how long of a trip the fish endured, i.e. the longer the trip, the more sedation necessary I would assume. So if they were Nebraska tailwalkers, they would probably need more than say fish from local farms. Justy 2 cents.

Cartman
12-21-2012, 06:57 PM
I have seen them acting like that after DFG stocking in city park lakes (Peck Rd. and Legg). Dunno if they're sedated or not. Netting them is definitely poaching.

Sublime-Steve
12-22-2012, 04:46 AM
long ride + diff water temp/oxy levels will get them all weird.. i hate watching ppl net and snag the fish...

bman90278
12-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Very simple, If u don't call DFG every time u see an illegal act, U don't have the right to complain. Please be sure to call Cal-Tip next time.

Respectfully, Brian

Troutin Man
12-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Sucks that they were netting. It just takes away from all who try the right way...especially when you see parents trying to get their kids excited about fishin' and there are no fish in the lake cuz of netters.

On another note, Happy Holidays to all anglers! May you get some lines wet this winter trout season!