PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Breathable waders

Gu3rra_c
12-19-2012, 02:43 PM
I’m looking in to buying some breathable waders so I can try surf fishing this coming year. I went to sports authority to try some on the other day, but did not make a purchase.
My questions are as follows: do the waders need to fit snug or can they be loose? (Example: you area a size 32 jeans but wear 34 for the extra room and comfort; don’t wear skinny jeans) what’s the difference between stocking foot and neoprene boot foot? What would be better? Can the stocking foot be used without having any type of wading boot?

They would only be used for the surf, at this time I don’t plan on doing much hiking in them.

Also would you wear sweats, shorts, thermals under them? I just want to make sure I don’t freeze anything off while trying to enjoy myself fishing and not have to leave because my limbs are freezing, any advice given would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Cadillyak
12-19-2012, 03:20 PM
I can chime in on some of this. For one, loose is good. This extra room allows you to layer up if necessary. And the looseness is pretty comfy if I do say do myself. If you want tight fitting, go neoprene. Not my favorite though, but warm they are. Next, unless there are boots attached, I wouldnt recommend walking in stocking foot regardless the situation. A good pair of waders costs, and with that said, you want them to last as long as possible, this wading boots are a very good idea. I learned this the hard way. I also believe that if you can, buy new. I have bought a pair a waders that were sold to me with "no" leaks. You know how that goes. I just bought a set of breathable waders along with boots from cabelas and was very happy with my purchase. Hope this helps. I'm sure the veterans will chime in soon.
Tight lines

Gu3rra_c
12-19-2012, 04:05 PM
Simply_p
Thanks for the feedback, with the 25% off at sports authority i might be able to save some cash to get some wading shoes then.

HBAR
12-19-2012, 06:58 PM
My question to you is which sports authority did you go to? because the one in burbank along with many others got rid of all their fishing equpiment and sent it to two stores, one being santa barbara and I forgot the other one. Booties you can find for less than 30 bucks and will enable you to walk without worrying about tearing up the bottom of your waders. I was tubing Irvine when I thought I had fixed the holes I had in the waders I HAD, I ended up having to go to shore get out of them turn them inside out and let them dry as well as drying my shorts off. By the time I got back to my truck I was wet all over again.
Wife found some breathable waders on sale from BPS for like 50-60 bucks, nice bday present but being that it was summer I didn't have to wear them in the local hole, I hope to try them out soon though. Yes the more room the better as stated by simply P you can layer up

Gu3rra_c
12-19-2012, 10:54 PM
I went to the sports authority in Torrance, since its the closest one to me, at least that I'm aware of.

OC ANGLER
12-19-2012, 11:38 PM
personally I like to have breathable's over neoprene ... neoprene's are warm but if you also want to use them in the summer you will find there gonna get hot . for that reason I wear breathable's cause there perfect for summer and in the winter I just layer up with a pair of thermals and sweats under neath and iam good to go . stocking foots will be cheaper then boot foot .. i choose stocking foot cause I could buy dive fin boots (actually found a great pair for $10 at play it again sports) to wear over the waders to be able to walk around in them on the shore, surf, and also be able to throw a pair of fins over them when i want to tube .

Look into the Caddis Deluxe waders .. very affordable and am very happy with there performance .. you can go to sports chalet to try them on, only place I found I could try them on . they retail at 119.99

but you can go online and purchase them from sports authority for 99.99 and if your looking to buy now they have a 20% off 1 item sale going on which means they will be 79.99 and you will also get free shipping !

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2563695&cp=&sr=1&kw=caddis+deluxe+wader&origkw=caddis+deluxe+wader&parentPage=search

oldschoolfishin'
12-20-2012, 09:50 AM
i use both type of stocking foot waders. the ocean is better w breathable, as are the summer days in a stream/river. the cold lakes at mammoth are more comfortable w the neoprene. one pair only....get breathable, and layer for cold water. i use stocking foot as i always use my tube and fins. i have flats boots for the surf, or stream fishin. i had some breathable waders i purchased at cabelas several years ago and the ocean destroyed them up after only a few trips. cabela refunded my money w no problem and i buy stuff from them as i like their products, and excellent service. i wouldn't buy the cheapest waders you can find, nor the most expensive, but the high-middle. hopefully that is a help to ya. have fun.

m2oz90277
01-24-2013, 08:15 PM
I just bought a pair of Frogg Toggs Hellbenders from Cabelas and love them. I'm 5'8", 165#, size 10 and ordered a medium. Fits perfect. I also ordered their neoprene surf boots in size large (one size larger than what I would normally order). It's my first pair of waders so I did a ton of research and considered LL Bean, Simms, BassPro brand before I settled on Frogg Toggs after reading several 3rd party reviews.

Nessie Hunter
01-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Le me make sure I read this correct...
To be used for surf walking/fishing only!!! ???

If so get the Boot Waders with a comfy shoe fit...
Clown pants fit is good for layering and comfort (bigger is better)...

'Anything' you wear over Stocking foot Waders (Stocking foot not made to walk in, they get torn up) will collect Sand from the surf.
Man you dont want that, it hurts and rubs blisters on your feet.....

m2oz90277
01-25-2013, 12:44 PM
Le me make sure I read this correct...
To be used for surf walking/fishing only!!! ???

If so get the Boot Waders with a comfy shoe fit...
Clown pants fit is good for layering and comfort (bigger is better)...

'Anything' you wear over Stocking foot Waders (Stocking foot not made to walk in, they get torn up) will collect Sand from the surf.
Man you dont want that, it hurts and rubs blisters on your feet.....

Nessie Hunter,
I strongly considered bootfoot waders but opted for the stocking foot in the rare change I go tubing. Otherwise, I would've bought the bootfoot waders all the way like you suggest. Luckily, the built in gators on my Frogg Toggs prevent the majority of the sand from getting into my booties. By the way, what brand of bootfoot waders do you use? It sounds like most people have a hard time finding a comfortable boot that fits. Thanks.

DarkShadow
01-25-2013, 01:04 PM
(don’t wear skinny jeans)

you're missing out bro.

there's nothing like the feeling of your walnuts being compressed to make you feel like a real man.

but like everyone has mentioned, looser is the way to go. in the cold, i'll wear under armour cold gear leggings underneath. when it's warm, i'll use my scooby doo chonis. if i had the cash, i'd invest in Simms waders. but I lucked out and got some Hodgeman's on sale.

Homefish
01-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Here's my $0.02, I've been surf fish'n apx 2 years now at least once a week. Have been using a pair of Hodgeman Weir breathable stockingfoot waders. They r great as far as keep,n dry. The only issue, as someone else has already mentioned, is keep'n the sand out of whatever booty's u wear over the neoprene stockingfoot. I've spent more $ on various booty's then on the waders! I haven't found anything that can keep the sand out & after a couple hours i'll have apx 1# of sand in my boots:Sad:

I just bought a pair of bootfoot waders & i am like'n them. Have only used them twice but so far i'm like'n 'um better than the stockingfoot waders.

So, if u are get'n waders for surf fish'n, i,d get some bootfoot waders.

Fishnfun
01-26-2013, 09:41 AM
For surf fishing, I would definitely go with the breathable bootfoot waders. I have a pair from Orvis. The bootfoot is easy on/easy off. Don't have to worry about sand in your boots. The boot of the bootfoot does not fit as snug around your feet, but since you will be on sand and not hiking over rocks, it works OK. Buy the waders loose is better. In cold months, I wear a unlined pair of nylon warm-up pants under the waders. In summer, just a pair of shorts. After walking and fishing for awhile, you will start to get warm because even the breathable waders hold in heat. I bought a large plastic storage tub from Walmart for the back of my car. When finished fishing, I just take off the bootfoot waders and dump it into the tub and drive home. Be sure to wash off the waders when you get home.

Nessie Hunter
01-26-2013, 12:36 PM
Nessie Hunter,
I strongly considered bootfoot waders but opted for the stocking foot in the rare change I go tubing. Otherwise, I would've bought the bootfoot waders all the way like you suggest. Luckily, the built in gators on my Frogg Toggs prevent the majority of the sand from getting into my booties. By the way, what brand of bootfoot waders do you use? It sounds like most people have a hard time finding a comfortable boot that fits. Thanks.

I float Tube so never considered Boot foot waders... Stocking foot is the only way..
If I go Surf fishing, I do wear shoes or Aqua boots over the wader stocking foot...

If money was no object (or could justify $$ 2 pair of waders) or I only did Surf fishing. I would go for Boot Foot waders though!!!

smokehound
01-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Skinny jeans are ridiculous hahaha

Lightline
01-29-2013, 06:41 PM
The real question is do you want stocking waders or boot waders.

having used stocking waders I want to grey boot waders. One less thing to buy and think about.