PDA

View Full Version : 12/18 Huntington beach

Tubbytuba
12-18-2012, 09:08 PM
I got one day to hit the surf this week, and i took it, despite the snotty weather and the poor tides. did i mention the weather was snotty? :Singing In Rain: i was especially excited to try out the new Owner hooks i had attached to my LC, as well as test the treble hook stingers i had added to my Swim baits. the new hooks and the stingers significantly increased my number of hook ups.

fish count
Halibut: 2 pancakes, one round 10', the other a little bigger
Barred Surf Perch: a bunch (That's a technical term)

i got to Huntington at around 0630, and was hitting sand by 0645. it wasn't even raining when i got my waders wet. as soon as i wound up to chuck my LC it started raining. hard. i had my rain gear on so no problem :Cool:. then the wind starts blowing the wind right into my face, pelting me massive rain drops. i can hack, not a problem. first cast produced a small BSP on my LC 110. i feel bad be cause i know this perch probably died. i had got my middle hook in his mouth and another in his eye. im fishing for butts you dumb critters. oh well nothing you can do. i pick up a perch probably once every 10 minutes or so, on the LC, for the next 3 and 1/2 hours. some were probably pushing 13', most were in the 10' range. i ended up covering a ton of beach between the pier and the Talbert Channel. those treble hooks from Owner dramatically improved my catch rate, i dont think i missed a single bite.

finally decided it was time to find something other than BSPs. i switched to a swim bait and fished it slow, then like a jig, then just not even paying attention. all of it produced perch. the style of retrieve didnt seem to matter, as long as my casts were timed right the fish would hit. i started getting this ominous feeling whenever the waves and timing were just right right haha. like i said earlier the added stinger really helped. right around 1130 ish? i cant really remember, i hooked into my first fish of the flat variety. i hooked him on the treble hook stinger attached to my spottie special big hammer, i was about to grab the treble with my forceps when he shook himself off and bolted back into the waves. the only downside to the extra hook is that it has to be small to allow the bait to swim well, but that small size also means losing a few fish. i caught another pancake, the slightly larger one, on an LC right around 1300. i decided to pack up after that fish. just as i packed up the weather cleared, beautiful and sunny, and the wind picked up some more which was a little rough after spending the past 6 hours getting sodden. Poseidon just wanted to rub a little dirt in my eye is all, i'll take that abuse if it means a legal soon. i gave him enough big hammers today to add up to 22 inches.. maybe thats how it works:Secret: any ways thanks for reading! sorry there are no pictures, cameras and rain dont mix well.

Good hunting

SP Dan
12-18-2012, 09:44 PM
Hi ya Tubbytuba,

Excellent read.... I felt like I was right there fishing along side you..... and congrat's on your nice basket of fish! :Thumbs Up:
Keep hitting it hard soldier...they're out there!

Thanx for the fish report and Happy Holidays! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

dlmoo312
12-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Way to tough it out in the bad weather!
I'm glad that it paid off and you were able to hook into a good number of fish.
I know exactly what you mean when you time your cast just right.
I can't help but feel like i'm about to get bit every time i get it just right, and it makes me put extra focus on my retrieve:Smile:
Thanks for the report!

-Daniel