PDA

View Full Version : NOOB!!! need help cold weather tips and techniques. and also new to boat fishing

bassmas88
12-18-2012, 08:25 PM
So lemme start out with my equipment.
just got an old 12 foot aluminum valco with a five hp out board. didnt want anything too heavy as i tow with my TC hahaha ya im the the idiot with the white tc hoggin up the doc for 20 min. sorry luanching is harder then it looks!! but im gettin better lol. but im running a couple fishfinders an older lowrance on the trolling motor and a portable humminbird off the transom. swimbait rod finess rod and a jig rod on the boat at all times, been fishin serious now for five+ years

i basically need help with a general guideline to start off/follow. for cold weather bass fishin (stripey or lmbs)

ive also tried my hand at trolling (not a fan of wait fishin) so not really trying to invest much into it. just fish homemade u rigs (rigs swim great) with 4 oz. of lead to troll around 30 feet. nooo luck
so basically id like to think i kno basic fundamentals of locating them but what do i do when i cant find active schools around points or underwater humps and saddles. the last few times ive fished the water has been in the fifties. ive fished before on and after the messy storms and to no avail

im from the high desert so silverwood is my backyard. but i try and fish all the bigger lakes, castaic, dvl, perris. not a fan of pay lakes what so ever.

when i dont see shad being chased up or spiratic boils, or shallow fish. ive been trying a few different tactics, mostly dropshotting, bass jigs, deep structure and walls, humps, trees, points and secondary points, but i dont meter any fish at all other than occasional suspended fish (solitary)

any advice would be appreciated!!

Fishbreath
12-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Backing the boat down the ramp will become second nature before you know it. It is harder to back short wheel base vehicles and trailers than longer ones. Try it looking over different shoulders, because there can be some dominant eye, and right brain/left brain issues involved in making that trailer go the direction you need. Sometimes fish that are tight to the bottom or structure are hard to spot on a fishfinder, especially if it is a rocky bottom. For beginners time on the water is important, so keep going and keep learning. It might shorten the learning curve if a guide is in your budget to show you the ropes at your favorite fishing hole.
Fishing tales told here - some true.
The Best of Fishbreath (http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/Fishbreath92028/Slideshow/?albumview=slideshow)

bassmas88
12-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Backing the boat down the ramp will become second nature before you know it. It is harder to back short wheel base vehicles and trailers than longer ones. Try it looking over different shoulders, because there can be some dominant eye, and right brain/left brain issues involved in making that trailer go the direction you need. Sometimes fish that are tight to the bottom or structure are hard to spot on a fishfinder, especially if it is a rocky bottom. For beginners time on the water is important, so keep going and keep learning. It might shorten the learning curve if a guide is in your budget to show you the ropes at your favorite fishing hole.
Fishing tales told here - some true.
The Best of Fishbreath (http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/Fishbreath92028/Slideshow/?albumview=slideshow)

hey thanx a lot for the reply. launching the boat does get better with practice, illl definitley try those techniques.
-as for the fish finders ya that makes a lot of sense! ill take that into consideration
-as for spending time on the water dont really mind not catching anything as each time i go out i learn something new so thats worth it. sure wouldnt mind puttin fish in the boat tho!
- and guide trips are something ive been more and more interested in. but by my self is a bit of a stretch budget wise. maybe if i get a couple freinds to divi up the rate then it would be a lot more affordable. or maybe if any members were interested to get in contact and set a trip. pm if interested!

overall great suggestions thanx a lot!

snospdr
12-19-2012, 09:09 PM
Maybe just use one fish finder running at a time. One study indicated no apparent negative effect on fish with a single fish finder, but a negative effect with two....

bassmas88
12-20-2012, 04:45 AM
Maybe just use one fish finder running at a time. One study indicated no apparent negative effect on fish with a single fish finder, but a negative effect with two....

Oh for sure I run the transom mounted one when I'm cruising with the out board. If I stop I turn it off drop the Trollin motor and turn on the one that's mounted on my Trollin motor cuz they share a power source. Good to kno that tho. That could be a deciding factor on gettin bit at all that day ... Thanx

Sublime-Steve
12-20-2012, 05:48 AM
where u fishin?

bassmas88
12-20-2012, 01:21 PM
where u fishin?

Mostly the wood . But ill do perris castaic or dvl about once a month

sandtrout
12-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Save yourself a loooooooot of time and effort...look up TROUTONLY at the top of this page...he's one of the sponsors of this site. I don't think he does BASS but he trolls and specializes in trout and striped bass. worth the money!!!

Perris_holic
12-23-2012, 03:42 PM
I am down to split a guided trip to go out with troutonly. Its kinda hard to afford when none of your friends are as serious about fishing as you are

Sublime-Steve
12-23-2012, 07:03 PM
you ever head down to perris lemme know

bassmas88
12-24-2012, 05:50 PM
Save yourself a loooooooot of time and effort...look up TROUTONLY at the top of this page...he's one of the sponsors of this site. I don't think he does BASS but he trolls and specializes in trout and striped bass. worth the money!!!

ya ive read alot of his stuff im sure hes very knowlegeable and worth the rate he charges ive even seen him doin work at the wood, but im not really intending on trolling unless i absolutley have to, kinda like bait n wait. and my main forte would have to be largemouth which alot of the striper guys dislike lol. and im also not very into trout either. im kinda more towards biiiiiiggg bass and striper bycatch if you will.

bassmas88
12-24-2012, 05:55 PM
I am down to split a guided trip to go out with troutonly. Its kinda hard to afford when none of your friends are as serious about fishing as you are

i agree i definitely would have to get in contact with t/o to see if he can give instruction on something geared more towards what im after, cuz like i said im not really one to troll all day for schoolie striper or trout. im after big and sometimes solitary bass (striper or lmb). maybe gregg silks ??? id have to email em and see which one fits. but ya most def would split a guide trip

bassmas88
12-24-2012, 05:56 PM
you ever head down to perris lemme know

alrighty man likewise!

Perris_holic
12-25-2012, 12:39 PM
well im down to split a guided trip with whichever guide