PDA

View Full Version : Mini wipers?

JAG107
12-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Whats up with all the micro wipers that are being caught? I got an 8 incher Sunday as well as my buddy, and a couple others I talked to saturday got a couple as well, trolling spoons. What I want to know is, since they haven't stocked any in 2 or 3 years (IIRC), and there's very little chance they stayed that small all this time since we've been seeing bigger and bigger ones caught all the time, now into the 10+ pound class, what other explanation could there be? Could they possibly be stripers coming in from Matthews with the flowing water? Your thoughts everybody???:Secret:

Stinkbait
12-18-2012, 08:29 PM
Supposedly wipers are sterile so if they babies, that is a food question.
I don't think the lake is connected to others but I could be wrong. Thought all the water came from the Santa Ana Mts.

dk4885
12-18-2012, 09:06 PM
sounds like stripers have found there way in. now there are some real fish in those waters. lol

Prowler_Tuber
12-18-2012, 09:21 PM
they bought water from matthews thats where the water is being pumped from so they have said

troutdog
12-18-2012, 11:11 PM
I bet those micro-stripes are going to find the bass fry very appealing this spring......potentially not good news for the bassers in years to come. OC's version of DVL perhaps? :Shocked: Only time will tell.

TD

Ifishtoolittle
12-18-2012, 11:50 PM
I bet those micro-stripes are going to find the bass fry very appealing this spring......potentially not good news for the bassers in years to come. OC's version of DVL perhaps? :Shocked: Only time will tell.

TD

So what's the limit on the jailbirds now? lol

Marley
12-19-2012, 12:35 AM
Funny thing, I was just thinking about that very issue a couple of days ago. Unless there's a screen in the duct coming from Matthews into Irvine, why wouldn't stripers make their way downstream? Anaheim, too? Although Anaheim would be a far less of an issue, as often as the lake is emptied. They net the fish out of there once all fishing is finished and the lake is almost empty. I wonder if they've ever found stripers in the nets over there....

seal
12-19-2012, 08:18 AM
Oh boy! With the regular feedings going into the lake give it a few years and we are going to have another great swimbait lake. This is gonna be interesting, unless of course Irvine snuck a plant in of the whipers I would think that the stripers in there will be able to reproduce over in Sierra cove and possibly the flats area. I'm not sure if buisness wise it will be a good thing for Irvine though, maybe maybe not???

karalm
12-19-2012, 10:00 AM
I also got one on the troll last Friday and the plug was almost bigger then the wiper!! With this influx of new water and fish (I heard that the lake has risen 4' since it started) Should be interesting to see what happens to this invasive species..........

LBSea
12-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Irvine Lake pumps in a certain amount of water every year. I can not imagine that this is the very first time in the history of Irvine Lake that they have gotten water from the same source as they are getting it from right now. Not sure what to make of small striper situation or why we have never seen them in the past. Maybe someone at Irvine Lake can chim in on this post. Very Interesting.

muskyman
12-19-2012, 06:40 PM
whats weird is all the years I worked there, I never saw a striper come out of there. Like the other guy said, all that matthews water and no stripers. Kinda weird. I bet the water district people or MWD would have better insight on why this is the way it is. Those wypers are cool though. Sterile just like me :)

JAG107
12-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Well from what I can recollect the wiper stocking was in the 1-2lb class, not "3-4 to a lb" class. And I REFUSE to believe that ANY wipers, nay multiple accounts of catches (which means lots more in the water than we've seen in the net) have stayed the same size for 2 or 3 years. So, what options does that leave? They must be coming in, and I don't think any source of water has any WIPERS, but stripers definitely. I got a pic of mine, I'll post it once I figure out how to from my phone. Sure looks like a wiper, not like a micro striper like I've caught elsewhere.

crappiemike
12-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Save the perch....... Lol....

Cm

TroutOnly
12-19-2012, 09:13 PM
If mr stripey got in there everything dies,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

ben0606
12-20-2012, 12:26 AM
I got 1 on saturday and it was only about 4-5 inches long. Would of took a pic but I was pissed about not getting my monster trout.

cutbait
12-20-2012, 05:50 AM
So everyone is getting these juvenile stripers or wiper spawn but nooooobody has a pic? And everybody knows they shouldnt be there?

fishfnatic
12-20-2012, 07:15 AM
Well I may be out of place there but this is what I have found out. According to Jimmy, the wipers spawned. Under extremely rare conditions it is possible for them to be able to do this. These juvenile wipers were in the lake long before they started pumping waters in from Matthews. There were 2 caught on the boat I was on during trout opening weekend, 1 for me and 1 for a friend of mine.

@cutbait I'm trying to find out if my buddy still has the picture of his. It's a bit washed out but if he gets it to me I'll be sure to post it. The pictures are non existent because who takes pictures of 8" fish that aren't native trout?

seal
12-20-2012, 07:48 AM
I thought wipers were sterile, guess I just assumed it since everybody said they wouldn't spawn. So this is another one of those stripers (or wipers) don't spawn in lakes story's, very funny! Love it when biologists turn out to be wrong about mother nature. At least if they are wipers they won't devistate the trout population.

cutbait
12-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Well I may be out of place there but this is what I have found out. According to Jimmy, the wipers spawned. Under extremely rare conditions it is possible for them to be able to do this. These juvenile wipers were in the lake long before they started pumping waters in from Matthews. There were 2 caught on the boat I was on during trout opening weekend, 1 for me and 1 for a friend of mine.

@cutbait I'm trying to find out if my buddy still has the picture of his. It's a bit washed out but if he gets it to me I'll be sure to post it. The pictures are non existent because who takes pictures of 8" fish that aren't native trout?

I would imagine an oddity such as fresh reproduced wipers or stripers that everyone knows should'nt be there would get a snapped pic or two?

I thought wipers were sterile, guess I just assumed it since everybody said they wouldn't spawn. So this is another one of those stripers (or wipers) don't spawn in lakes story's, very funny! Love it when biologists turn out to be wrong about mother nature. At least if they are wipers they won't devistate the trout population.

Yeah, kinda like climate experts and oncologists. Educated guesses

Hunt4Fish
12-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Caught this little wiper 4 weeks ago on an inflated nightcrawler at the Red Clay Cliffs, the distorted stripes at mid body is a trait of a wiper, I took the pic because I knew it was an odd catch.

Marley
12-20-2012, 10:09 PM
So if these are the spawn of fertile fish and not an F1 hybrid... they should also be fertile, no? They look like they're on their way to being big enough to spawn on their own next time around.

Brent
12-20-2012, 10:36 PM
It would appear that someone kept these small wipers and as far as I know that "IS NOT ACCEPTABLE" . Catch and release only, weather or not you like them.
Throw them all back regardless of size or hatred for them, it's the rules.
I don't want to see anyone getting in trouble over a tiny wiper.
Maybe at some point there will be enough of them they will allow some to be kept. Until then follow the rules, it helps everyone.

Brent

cutbait
12-21-2012, 06:01 AM
Caught this little wiper 4 weeks ago on an inflated nightcrawler at the Red Clay Cliffs, the distorted stripes at mid body is a trait of a wiper, I took the pic because I knew it was an odd catch.

Nicely done H4F

100% not a striper

Hunt4Fish
12-21-2012, 06:33 PM
It would appear that someone kept these small wipers and as far as I know that "IS NOT ACCEPTABLE" . Catch and release only, weather or not you like them.
Throw them all back regardless of size or hatred for them, it's the rules.
I don't want to see anyone getting in trouble over a tiny wiper.
Maybe at some point there will be enough of them they will allow some to be kept. Until then follow the rules, it helps everyone.

Brent

Not sure if that C&R comment was directed at me, but when I released that little guy it took off like the frieght train that it will turn into, the blood was from a 4lb rainbow and it tasted great for a truck trout.
I remember IL stocking 2000 of them 4 to 6 years ago and those are the 10-12 pound frieght trains that we are hearing about. I think they were 2-3 lbs when they went in ?
H4F

Brent
12-21-2012, 08:34 PM
I guess I made some assumptions on the bloody board pic and we all know what that does. Sorry H4F. My bad. Once I looked close it looked like the boat seat on the rentals and not a cleaning board .

Brent

drifter023
12-21-2012, 09:20 PM
White bass maybe?

JAG107
12-22-2012, 08:40 AM
Here you go cutbait the non-believer lol
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=38377&d=1356194319

Poxy Boggards
12-25-2012, 01:47 AM
I caught one trolling there on opening weekend as well. Didn't bother to get a picture, just shook him off the lure and went on fishing.

cutbait
12-25-2012, 06:42 AM
Here you go cutbait the non-believer lol
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=38377&d=1356194319

Non believer?

Wth? I just wanted the mystery solved and raised the question to why a pic wasnt posted.

Since two pics have now been posted and mystery solved

JAG107
12-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Non believer?

Wth? I just wanted the mystery solved and raised the question to why a pic wasnt posted.

Since two pics have now been posted and mystery solved

Here is proof for you bucket brigade guys, come load up on the plentiful taco meat no DFG worries for you here hahaha