PDA

View Full Version : NOOB!!! need help cold weather tips and techniques. and also new to boat fishing

bassmas88
12-18-2012, 04:49 PM
hey whats up guys, been lurking here for a while and find the site entertaing but very useful! so i finally signed up!

So lemme start out with my equipment.
just got an old 12 foot aluminum valco with a five hp out board. didnt want anything too heavy as i tow with my TC hahaha ya im the the idiot with the white tc hoggin up the doc for 20 min. sorry luanching is harder then it looks!! but im gettin better lol. but im running a couple fishfinders an older lowrance on the trolling motor and a portable humminbird off the transom.

i basically need help with a general guideline to start off or follow. for cold weather bass fishin (stripey or lmbs)

ive also tried my hand at trolling (not a fan of wait fishin) so not really trying to invest much into it. just fish homemade u rigs (rigs swim great) with 4 oz. of lead to troll around 30 feet. nooo luck
so basically id like to think i kno basic fundamentals of locating them but what do i do when i cant find active schools around points or underwater humps and saddles. the last few times ive fished the water has been in the fifties

im from the high desert so silverwood is my backyard. but i try and fish all the bigger lakes, castaic, dvl, perris. not a fan of pay lakes what so ever.

when i dont see shad being chased up or spiratic boils, or shallow fish. ive been trying a few different tactics, mostly dropshotting, bass jigs, deep structure and walls, humps, trees, points and secondary points, but i dont meter any fish at all other than occasional suspended fish (solitary)

any advice would be appreciated!!