PDA

View Full Version : Newb ? for SoCal lakes without cleaning stations.

tomar19
12-17-2012, 08:09 PM
What is the general practice for cleaning your catch when there is no fish cleaning station where you're fishing?

I've been bringing them home and tossing the mess in the trash. I double bag it and tie each bag before tossing, but if its a few day before pick up it gets pretty ripe around the trash can. Any advice on how to cut down on the smell or an alternative to cleaning at home?

I just wanted to make sure I'm not overlooking a better alternative then bringing them home and chucking the mess in the trash.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

DynoDan
12-17-2012, 08:21 PM
Local park trash can.

Frequent Flyer
12-17-2012, 08:56 PM
Your neighbors trashcan:Big Grin:

Piss on Myspace
12-17-2012, 09:04 PM
And for a bit of "reel" advice, freeze the entrails and dispose the day of or before pickup......problem solved

connordoyle
12-17-2012, 09:05 PM
What is the general practice for cleaning your catch when there is no fish cleaning station where you're fishing?

I've been bringing them home and tossing the mess in the trash. I double bag it and tie each bag before tossing, but if its a few day before pick up it gets pretty ripe around the trash can. Any advice on how to cut down on the smell or an alternative to cleaning at home?

I just wanted to make sure I'm not overlooking a better alternative then bringing them home and chucking the mess in the trash.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

If you have a garden theres nothing better to bury in it. There's no better fertilizer in the world.

old pudd fisher
12-17-2012, 10:28 PM
If you have a garden theres nothing better to bury in it. There's no better fertilizer in the world.

All of the above work well but I think bury it in your garden like 'connordoyle' said.

smokehound
12-18-2012, 12:35 AM
All of the above work well but I think bury it in your garden like 'connordoyle' said.Wive's tale. :D

The nutrients arent available to the plants, the only real benefit is the calcium from the skeleton.

When you do this, you're just feeding the bugs and feral cats =P

tomar19
12-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the replies. I don't have a garden at the moment, but maybe something to look into when I start my next backyard project. Its not that big of a deal taking care of it at home, but I take my motorcycle fishing often, and when I get into the bigger fish space can be an issue getting them home. Filleting and packing in the small cooler would be a big help packing up. I'll likely look at my luggage options to help with packing whole fish for the time being.

KingShad
12-27-2012, 08:51 PM
How come DVL doesnt have a cleaning station. So much striper? It's stupid. But everyone cleans at their houses.

HBAR
12-27-2012, 08:55 PM
well there's always the person's car that you dont care for much LOL

Sublime-Steve
12-28-2012, 05:41 AM
stick it in the freezer till trash day...

FISHING ALL DAY BABY
12-28-2012, 06:29 AM
Local park trash can.
Lol!! Yup thats how I do it as well.

Natural Lefty
12-28-2012, 01:47 PM
I'm with several others here; we bury all that stuff in the yard -- deep, and cover it with rocks or pots. It makes excellent fertilizer. If you don't have a yard, though, that's obviously not an option.

DMS
12-28-2012, 07:15 PM
I used to toss the tuna carcass in a bank dumpster. The cats would fly out of there... For some reason the bank started to lock it. Then I shifted to a park dumpster for a while. Then bury until the yard looked like forest lawn. Freezing is good if you have a big freezer. Once my dad painted stripes on a 30# carp put a lure in the mouth and left it on his buddy's car. He he he lol

DMS
12-28-2012, 07:39 PM
I used to toss the tuna carcass in a bank dumpster. The cats would fly out of there... For some reason the bank started to lock it. Then I shifted to a park dumpster for a while. Then bury until the yard looked like forest lawn. Freezing is good if you have a big freezer. Once my dad painted stripes on a 30# carp put a lure in the mouth and left it on his buddy's car. He he he lol

dixoncider
12-31-2012, 09:14 PM
That DVL thing drives me nuts.. I hate cleaning fish at home..

Skyler
01-03-2013, 10:46 AM
What, nobody has garbage disposals anymore? Mine makes quick work of guts, and my trash doesn't stink.

allIdoIsfish
01-03-2013, 12:10 PM
And for a bit of "reel" advice, freeze the entrails and dispose the day of or before pickup......problem solved

+1..........