PDA

View Full Version : Just got a 15.5 Pelican Canoe

FrankTheTank
12-17-2012, 07:06 PM
Can anyone give me some tips before taking it fishing?

Thanks

Caliyak
12-18-2012, 08:31 AM
find some seats with a back for comfort. Buy some coolers for the drinks. Install a fish finder, rod holders and an anchor. After that, hit the water. The water will tell you what other toys to throw on that bad boy. Enjoy it and have a great time.
The most important thing; water proof jars (Jiff) and bags for your wallet, phone and personal stuff

reservoir dog
12-18-2012, 08:38 AM
The most important thing to have on your canoe is a PFD.

The Lone Fisherman
12-18-2012, 09:54 AM
The second most important thing to have on your canoe: Large coffee can.

FrankTheTank
12-19-2012, 11:55 AM
I would like to thank all you for your advice!

Caliyak, thanks for the very informative tips!

I do have some questions:

Reservoir Dog, what's a PDF?

The Lone Fisherman, what's the coffee can for?

Thanks,
Frank

Caliyak
12-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Personal Flotation Device is a fancy word for life jacket. But I have to say, the PFD is important for safety and can be helpful for fishing. The PDF that I have is pretty cool. It looks like a fly fishing jacket with pockets and stuff. It's also meshed for hot days. The lower-back pad helps like a back brace and keeps me upright on my kayak. With the pockets, I put my nail clippers, a small light, my gloves and small pliars. Look for a jacket that is functional and comfortable. I got mine at Big 5.
Frank, if you need any more info, shoot me a message. I will be happy to help a fellow yaker.

The Lone Fisherman
12-19-2012, 03:05 PM
The Lone Fisherman, what's the coffee can for?

Thanks,
Frank

Many decades ago when I attended summer camp, that was the only thing available (or maybe cheapest) to bail water out of old leaky aluminum canoes but a hand blige pump will work better for small amounts of water.

One last thing pertaining to your original question... Capsize and learn self-rescue techiniques. You DON"T want try and figure it out for when it does happend and you're not prepared.

FrankTheTank
12-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the help and answering my questions.

Caliyak I'll be sure to message when i have more questions. That PDF you have sounds like a pretty good buy

The Lone Fisherman, i'm working on building a stabilizer, adding a trolling motor, and rigging something up to attach all my belonging just in case of a capsize. i'll post some pictures once i'm done. Hopefully the stabilizer will help prevent the capsize.

Thanks again!
Frank

BALLERONBUDGET
02-07-2013, 05:24 PM
take ur yak to local dmv or AAA club.. and register it so can use ur motor...ull get boat registration +tags about $70 to start. harbor patrol/lifeguards can ticket for non registered boats... air/wind/paddle power is free , but once u add motor state of ca wants ur tax $$fees

BALLERONBUDGET
02-07-2013, 05:27 PM
i thought large coffee can was for taking a whizzzzz without standing up and risk tipping over ur canoe!!! not alll lakes hv floating ss relief portapotties !!! bailing water out is good too... can also use hand pump or those long pump from 5gallon water jug stores..