PDA

View Full Version : Glen Helen

Cartman
12-15-2012, 07:19 PM
This is a late report, but I wanted to share some info about Glen Helen.

I fished Glen Helen about three weeks ago. It was a slow day there. I got skunked and saw very few fish caught. It was the day before stocking day, but I don't think that had anything to do with it. As I was leaving the guy that works there, ranger or whatever, said they put 2,000 pounds of fish into the two lakes there every week, plus they are on the DFG stocking schedule. Those lakes must be full of fish.

I went the next week (two weeks ago) and fished the small lake for the first time, again, the day before stocking. I fished off a concrete point toward the middle of the lake casting toward the far shore. Around 1:00 I caught a really big trout, and about half an hour later I caught a really really big trout...biggest I have ever caught. I was drop shotting a wacky rigged green powerworm on 2# line and 1/8 oz sinker. There were only a few other people fishing, and everybody caught some, the others on powerbait.

I'm going back when I can. It's a real nice pretty little pair of lakes, not too expensive, and they have Jess Ranch trout with the red meat like salmon. You should call them before you go. They close for stocking day which is sometimes a Wednesday and sometimes a Thursday.

Carptain_Bao
12-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Good job on landing some bigger trout Cartman. Never been there before but it is good to hear about some local trout fishing.

Pudd Legend
12-16-2012, 11:18 AM
This is a late report, but I wanted to share some info about Glen Helen.

I fished Glen Helen about three weeks ago. It was a slow day there. I got skunked and saw very few fish caught. It was the day before stocking day, but I don't think that had anything to do with it. As I was leaving the guy that works there, ranger or whatever, said they put 2,000 pounds of fish into the two lakes there every week, plus they are on the DFG stocking schedule. Those lakes must be full of fish.

I went the next week (two weeks ago) and fished the small lake for the first time, again, the day before stocking. I fished off a concrete point toward the middle of the lake casting toward the far shore. Around 1:00 I caught a really big trout, and about half an hour later I caught a really really big trout...biggest I have ever caught. I was drop shotting a wacky rigged green powerworm on 2# line and 1/8 oz sinker. There were only a few other people fishing, and everybody caught some, the others on powerbait.

I'm going back when I can. It's a real nice pretty little pair of lakes, not too expensive, and they have Jess Ranch trout with the red meat like salmon. You should call them before you go. They close for stocking day which is sometimes a Wednesday and sometimes a Thursday.

Thanks for the update. How's the water clarity for both lakes?

Cartman
12-16-2012, 04:34 PM

When I was at the big lake a few weeks ago the clarity was very bad. I remember thinking it was like pea soup. The small lake was better two weeks ago, but the water is not real clear in these lakes. That seems to be true of small city park type lakes.

Ducttapeking
12-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Little lake gets a lot of runoff in it from the rain this is probably the worst trout season yet this year usually the lake is on fire but fish are few and far between if they really are stocking the lake like they say when it turns on will be an easy limit day I fish it twice a week during trout season
But I will say I have seen a lot of nice fish come from this lake but for some reason they just don't want to eat anything anyone throws

Cartman
12-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Little lake gets a lot of runoff in it from the rain this is probably the worst trout season yet this year usually the lake is on fire but fish are few and far between if they really are stocking the lake like they say when it turns on will be an easy limit day I fish it twice a week during trout season
But I will say I have seen a lot of nice fish come from this lake but for some reason they just don't want to eat anything anyone throws

With the runoff from the rains I plan to fish with redworms the next time I get a chance to fish there. A paternoster rig. I used to tie those with a dropper loop, but the dropper loop damages the line too much to use it with 2# line. I learned a new knot that is as strong as the line, the spider hitch loop. Works great even with 2# line. If I get to use it with the redworms I will make a report.

Piss on Myspace
12-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Good luck mang. Thanks for the intel. Report with pictures of the bigguns

flybynight
12-17-2012, 03:30 PM
Haven't been there in many years...only 1 lake then and u could spit across it. But, did catch a 10lb catfish fishing for trout.:EyePop::LOL:

blufinhker
12-17-2012, 09:15 PM
When you said that the Lake Ranger said They put 2000 pounds of trout in the lake I would like to know of
Who or What They is ? To my knowledge Glen Helen is a state or county run park. So I think that only the
state or the DFG plants the trout there. If anybody know different I would like to know. The problem is that
they Charge $8.00 for a Park fee And a extra $8.00 for fishing. Doesn't some of the money that we spend
for Our Fishing Licence go towards trout stocking ? California charges the Most for there fishing licence's than
any other state that I am aware of. So what we are doing is Paying twice to fish at a county park.Now if the
lake is buying trout on there own than that is something different, I somehow I find that not to be the case.
Let me know what you think?

Piss on Myspace
12-17-2012, 09:32 PM
FALSE...Yes they receive the smaller dfg's but that more surplus than anything. The weekly "county" plants, i believe, consist of calaveras and tailwalkers...if u fish there, u should notice two different grades of fish...never fished there but i think its like that at all the SBCO parks.

Trout Daddy
12-18-2012, 12:24 AM
FALSE...Yes they receive the smaller dfg's but that more surplus than anything. The weekly "county" plants, i believe, consist of calaveras and tailwalkers...if u fish there, u should notice two different grades of fish...never fished there but i think its like that at all the SBCO parks.

POM, you are correct my trout slaying compadre. The fee's support the 1500 # of fish that they dump from chaulk mound trout ranch, jess ranch, and calveras trout farm every week. 10-15% of these stocks are "trophy fish" in the 5-15 # range. Every other week the State dumps in 700-900 # of trout as well. So if you plan your week correct you could be fishing the lake after 2000-2400 # of fish are dumped in them. None of the Co Lakes with the exception of Prado are that large. So 8 bucks to fish, and 8 bucks to park. $16 bucks to fish is pretty affordable if you are local. SARL/Corona are $25, Hesperia is $15, Irvine is $22, and Jess Ranch is $20. If you want some really good deals try Rancho Jurupa $7, Poway $6, or Lake Cahuilla $7. For 15-25 bux at most of the places you have a shot at a big fish......

Cartman
12-18-2012, 06:55 AM
POM, you are correct my trout slaying compadre. The fee's support the 1500 # of fish that they dump from chaulk mound trout ranch, jess ranch, and calveras trout farm every week. 10-15% of these stocks are "trophy fish" in the 5-15 # range. Every other week the State dumps in 700-900 # of trout as well. So if you plan your week correct you could be fishing the lake after 2000-2400 # of fish are dumped in them. None of the Co Lakes with the exception of Prado are that large. So 8 bucks to fish, and 8 bucks to park. $16 bucks to fish is pretty affordable if you are local. SARL/Corona are $25, Hesperia is $15, Irvine is $22, and Jess Ranch is $20. If you want some really good deals try Rancho Jurupa $7, Poway $6, or Lake Cahuilla $7. For 15-25 bux at most of the places you have a shot at a big fish......

I totally agree, and the San Bernadino County Lakes are cheaper if you carpool since half the fee is for parking.

Mr Bendo
12-27-2012, 11:03 AM
Good job John. Haven't seen you at the pudd lately. we got to meet up sometime.

Cartman
12-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Good job John. Haven't seen you at the pudd lately. we got to meet up sometime.

Yeah, I look for your truck when I'm out there.