PDA

View Full Version : Surf Perch as Live-Bait?

labjet2000
12-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Does anyone know if this is legal?

Wingnut
12-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Perfectly legal... great Leopard Shark bait, or so I'm told. :Wink:

smokehound
12-14-2012, 05:22 PM
as stated above, good leopard shark bait. The females are best, easily identified by their ventral fin.

the small 4-5 inch surfperch and walleye perch make a decent live bait for halis.

labjet2000
12-14-2012, 06:43 PM
as stated above, good leopard shark bait. The females are best, easily identified by their ventral fin.

the small 4-5 inch surfperch and walleye perch make a decent live bait for halis.

Thanks Sokehound and Wingnut. I scoured the regs and couldn't find any mention of using perch. I recently was gifted an Alvey surf rod and reel from a friend. It is a rather hefty rig, so I'm not sure I want to do much more than bait 'n wait with it. Research tells me it can cast a good country mile because of its design and I hope to get out this weekend and launch a rig well beyond the breakers. It has been a long time since I've been near any water... fresh or salt, so wish me luck.

I'll post my Alvey adventure if I manage to get out there.

Thanks again. Everyone have a safe and happy holiday season.

DockRat
12-17-2012, 06:31 AM
The problem you might have when you 'cast a country mile' is keeping the bait on. I ran into this problem and prefer using squid for long casting. It is really not necessary to cast way past the breakers. At a higher tide a good zone is where the waves break.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e0BiFAc6Uo

carpinator
12-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Try fishing them of the end of a long pier like Goleta. BSP aren't usaully on the menu in deeper water, so you have a real shot at catching a sea monster.