PDA

View Full Version : New to Duct questions

29kustom
12-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Well the weather has cooled down so I put the sticks away till spring for the most part and dust off the dirtbikes. I have recently been going to El Mirage to ride and I pass over the aqueduct on SheepCreek Road in near Phelan. My 10 year old and I stopped the other day to take a look and it says that fishing is ok on the fence. This is awesome and can open up a whole new part of our day.

I fish a lot the rest of the year but have never fished a aqua duct and I see some of you guys tear it up. I am wondering if anyone is familiar with that area and has any advice if it is decent there I am figuring that its probably stripers and catfish. Is that correct or what is there?

I just think it would be cool to take my son and daughter fishing there after riding for a few.

I guess just asking if it is a waste of time there or if anyone is familiar with that area. "I know anytime I can have with my kids and fish is not a waste of time"

Thanks in advance.

fishinone
12-14-2012, 12:38 PM
There are fish all along the duct. Check the area out on Google Earth. The best fishing is at the gates and siphons and they are easy to find on Google.

jdduckman
12-14-2012, 03:12 PM
I get nervous when people say kids at the duct. It can be a dangerous place. With my own, I drew a line in the sand away from the edge and layed down the law, that they were not to cross that line under any circumstance. If they got a fish on they were to sit down and fight it on their butt. I figured a fish would have a tougher time dragging a kid than to get one to stumble on a drag peeling run when they were standing.
Catfish and stripers are the rule in our portion of the duct, though just from reading this web site it seems the closer you get to Silverwood the less stripers are caught. The majority of my stripers have come from drowning a chicken liver.
Be careful - Happy fishing!

29kustom
12-14-2012, 03:33 PM
I do appreciate the words of advice. the kids will have the fear put in em to stay back. Thanks again

fishinarteest
12-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Well the weather has cooled down so I put the sticks away till spring for the most part and dust off the dirtbikes. I have recently been going to El Mirage to ride and I pass over the aqueduct on SheepCreek Road in near Phelan. My 10 year old and I stopped the other day to take a look and it says that fishing is ok on the fence. This is awesome and can open up a whole new part of our day.

I fish a lot the rest of the year but have never fished a aqua duct and I see some of you guys tear it up. I am wondering if anyone is familiar with that area and has any advice if it is decent there I am figuring that its probably stripers and catfish. Is that correct or what is there?

I just think it would be cool to take my son and daughter fishing there after riding for a few.

I guess just asking if it is a waste of time there or if anyone is familiar with that area. "I know anytime I can have with my kids and fish is not a waste of time"

Thanks in advance.

catfish and stripers are the main species in there. I use chicken liver and anchovie, mackerel, and whatever else will have scent carried by the current. I also use between 12-15lb test. Where your at you might get quite a few cats. My success normally comes early in the morning and late in the evening and night time. But i've got some nice ones mid day. What was said about children is right. I wont even take my little cousins with me, for me age limit is 10. anyone under that is just gonna get left at home but for there safety.