PDA

View Full Version : How to fish for Hali trolling on boat?

flyhigh123
12-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Does anyone here troll for Hali? Bounce ball? Interested in learning this. Any tips?

Thanks!

DockRat
12-17-2012, 06:20 AM
Did some but it is alot of work keeping the rods adjusted just right.
The way Behdad taught me was with a 1 lb cannonball weight.

Main line can be heavy say 50 lb braid to a T swivel. Then about a foot of 20 lb mono to the weight.
Coming off the T swivel 3' to 5' 30 lb flouro leader to a nose hooked sardine, smelt, or mac.
Then a large treble hook in butt area. Speed is important, 1.3 to 1.5 knots.

You can find some Youtube video's on it, some guys use a flasher too.

I prefer drifting for them using the red sliders with a snap swivel for changing weights.
Then a swivel to stop the slider and a 4' leader to a trap hook rig. Need a good breeze for drifting and a slow motor for bounce balling.
Good luck, DR

flyhigh123
12-17-2012, 12:30 PM
i've been reading a lot about it. Lots of tips and tricks. Just seeing if others here have any better tips.

Thanks Dockrat for the ideas! Will be interesting to see what comes of this.

Which Way Out
12-18-2012, 06:42 AM
PM (Private Message) Exfactor aka Mikey.

He is without question one to the Best. However it would be VERY hard to explain the entire technique either in writing or the on the phone.
Mike is one of the pioneers of Ball Bouncing for sport fishing Halibut. I am sure he would take you out and show you how if his boat motor was replaced...Moral of the story is Mike could use a new motor for Christmas.....

WWO

DockRat
12-18-2012, 08:13 PM
Basically the idea is that the lead ball hits the mud/sand it kinda sticks and stirs up the sand which catches the attention of any halibut in the area. Then the rod loads up and lifts the ball as the boat is moving till the ball swings till it hits the bottom again.

When the halibut hears and sees the sand kicked up then he see's the bait following he with go after the bait. Some guys use the flasher and some don't.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/Rimencer17/Animations/Balls/bounce.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sfgAk1rqPw

Which Way Out
12-19-2012, 08:13 PM
DR, one of the many things I learned with Mikey this year is, You keep the fish on the gaff until its in the cooler. When that guy let the Halibut off on the deck it went nuts.:Shocked: We never had it happen, just saying. Nice fish too.

WWO

flyhigh123
12-21-2012, 10:57 AM
thanks for the tips.

Once i get my boat up and running, i want to try this out.

Armofisher818
01-01-2013, 11:54 PM
Wait for the belly shot.