PDA

View Full Version : Poseidon’s punching bag gets a crumb

bachiboy
12-13-2012, 02:56 PM
So, I’m pretty sure Poseidon looks at me as his comic relief. He takes regular offerings from my LC collection, knocks me on my [rear] here and there, and gives me my daily dose of pummeling from the waves. Even on flat calm days, I’ve been smacked with a rogue wave...ask my buddy Nate. He and I were standing on a 15-20' high perch overlooking the beach at HG4. The rocks were BONE dry. He calls me over to where he is and, no sooner I get there, a wave slams the rocks and sends water over our heads completely drenching us. He looks at me and shouts, “I should [:Censored:] know better than to [:Censored:] stand next to you!!!!” Yes, Poseidon sure gets a laugh outta kicking me in the nuts.:Spank::Nut Kick::Idiot: Every once in a while he throws me a crumb...I guess so he can sucker me back for more punishment.:Rolls Eyes::Twisted: Yesterday...he gave me a crumb.

I hit up a spot Sunday and had a little success. No legal but the conditions looked really good and the potential was there. Lots of bait, great water clarity and life swimming everywhere. My time was limited so I only had a couple of hours to fish. I managed a nice mixed bag with one smelt (not pictured), one YFC, one small calico and one pancake.

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/YFC_zps986b1bec.jpg
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/sm_calico_zps1686efc0.jpg
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/pancake_zpsf6298d44.jpg

Yesterday (Wednesday), I decided to go back and give it another quick go after I dropped my son off at school. A comedy of errors kept me from getting to my destination in a timely manner so I didn’t get a line in the water till after 10am. I was a nice flat day out there. Salad was moderate, not great, but not unfishable. Water clarity was good, at least on the northern stretch of the A.O. As I start my assault, 5 casts in, I get a nice “professional over-run”. As I look down and start taking it out, BAM...nice wave comes up and slams me.:Rolls Eyes: Great, here we go again...I think I could actually hear him cracking up at me.:Idiot: I get out the backlash and start moving. 3 casts later another good over-run. This time, as I start stripping the line out, I notice the line actually broke at the spool. I handline in my LC and wrap up all the useless line (to be discarded later) and stick it in my pocket.:Slap: I re-tie my LC to the 10 or so yards of mono topshot I have left and go back to work. I notice that the connection knot to my spectra keeps hanging every-other cast and after a frustrating half-hour of this comedy act, I bail on this rig and switch over to my dropshot.

After working the beach for about an hour and a half for no love, I finally get a crack at an area just in front of some structure now that the tide has fallen a bit. First cast...POP, there goes the DS rig. I guess that was Poseidon saying, “okay, here comes your crumb, but you better retie that POS before I let you hook up”, cuz the very next cast, after retying, “Tap, tap”. I give it a little time, lean back and BENDO...only this is really feeling like more kelp...strictly dead weight. I’m looking at the line as I’m reeling it in and start talking to it...“[:Censored:], start moving to the side or something!”, and sure enough, I see the line start off to the right, then to the left. It doesn’t feel big so I don’t think anything of it, other than I’m just glad that it’s a fish. Heck, if the thing didn’t veer off to the right and left, I still woulda thought it was kelp, cuz there was no fight. I get it up close and I’m thinking, “ I’m not gonna get my hopes up cuz I’ve been fooled too many times lately, but that thing kinda looks legal”. I turn around and can’t find a clear landing spot through the rocks behind me, so I walk my pet butt down a bit to an opening that I can drag him up on the sand. I get him secured and measure him up...sure enough 22”, pretty much right on the nose.:Dancing Banana: Grab some photos and send him back to Poseidon with some thanks. Two casts later into the same spot I hook up again, which feels bigger, but he gets lose after wrapping up in some kelp...then again, don’t they always feels bigger when you lose them?:Wink: That was pretty much the end of it. Couple of small bites later but no more glory.

Hope you enjoyed the read...
Don

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/legal_22_zps42795008.jpg
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/head_zpsf56b66a3.jpg
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/tail_zpsc3228365.jpg

Wingnut
12-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Hey Don, that's one of the "crumbs" that I left ya the last time I was there... :Wink: :LOL: :Big Smile:
I think SP Dan is dropping into that A.O. just about right now as I'm typing this response. :Secret:
Nice job on the legal, a just legal, but legal nonetheless. :Thumbs Up:
That should move you up a slot or two on the S.W.A.T. Leader Board. :Big Grin:
I'm trying to find my way back in town for the weekend. Got a score to settle down South. :Twisted:

Cadillyak
12-13-2012, 03:53 PM
I'll take those crumbs any day of the week. Way to get out there and get them. Nice report!

DockRat
12-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Nice assortment there.

dlmoo312
12-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Congrats on another legal hali!
Sounds like you had a rough start on day two but it all payed off in the end:Smile:
Happy to hear you were able to hand retrieve that lc back in as well!
Thanks for the report!

-Daniel

jinbow
12-13-2012, 10:02 PM
Nice work with the drop shot. Your'e the man. :Applause:
Great report and thanks for the pictures and story.

Albert

SP Dan
12-13-2012, 10:34 PM
Hi Don

Well....I didn't have as much success as you did at the AO but I really don't mind sweeping up the left over crumbs behind a dedicated, talented angler like yourself! Man!.....Another legal Hali for the Board! :Thumbs Up: WTG Brotha!

Thanx for the great read with pic's! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

murrieta angler
12-14-2012, 08:02 AM
Hey Don,
Nice couple of days fishing..:Smile:
Weird, how the halis are starting to show at the end of the year...:???:
I got your PM and responded, this morning.
Thanks for the report,
Robert
<><

bachiboy
12-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Hey Don, that's one of the "crumbs" that I left ya the last time I was there... :Wink: :LOL: :Big Smile:
I think SP Dan is dropping into that A.O. just about right now as I'm typing this response. :Secret:
Nice job on the legal, a just legal, but legal nonetheless. :Thumbs Up:
That should move you up a slot or two on the S.W.A.T. Leader Board. :Big Grin:
I'm trying to find my way back in town for the weekend. Got a score to settle down South. :Twisted:

Thanks for leaving me a crumb!!!:Wink: Looks like Dan scored another exotic on his mission.

Hope you're able to make it down there this weekend. I'm not staying at the hotel I was telling you about so I'll actually have to drive a couple of miles to get to that spot. :LOL:

I'll take those crumbs any day of the week. Way to get out there and get them. Nice report!

Yea, pretty happy that it made the cut. Took a few lumps to get it, but it was worth it. Thanks for reading!

Nice assortment there.

Thanks DR

Congrats on another legal hali!
Sounds like you had a rough start on day two but it all payed off in the end:Smile:
Happy to hear you were able to hand retrieve that lc back in as well!
Thanks for the report!
-Daniel

Thanks Daniel! Yea, it was a nice payoff. I actually started to panic a little thinking that I was gonna add to my LC casualty list. Fortunately, Poseidon let me slide on that one. :LOL:

Nice work with the drop shot. Your'e the man. :Applause:
Great report and thanks for the pictures and story.

Albert

Thanks Albert! Not sure about being "the man", but we keep trying to live up to that Wingnut guy.:Wink:

Hi Don

Well....I didn't have as much success as you did at the AO but I really don't mind sweeping up the left over crumbs behind a dedicated, talented angler like yourself! Man!.....Another legal Hali for the Board! :Thumbs Up: WTG Brotha!

Thanx for the great read with pic's! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Thanks Dan!!! Sorry you didn't get to lay into a flattie down there, but that was quite a catch you made there. Very cool new species for you. :Thumbs Up:

Hey Don,
Nice couple of days fishing..:Smile:
Weird, how the halis are starting to show at the end of the year...:???:
I got your PM and responded, this morning.
Thanks for the report,
Robert
<><

Thanks Robert! Got your response. Hope the weather mellows out and we all get some surf time in this weekend. Can't fish tomorrow, unless I sneak out of the hotel while my son is sleeping in the afternoon...but I won't hold my breath on that. :Wink: Gotta do the Disneyland thing in the morning on the way down, so no chance for a morning session. Good luck to all of you if you do make it out there...go get that big 30+" b**** that's been messing with you guys!!!:Twisted:

smokehound
12-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Id rather get soaked by a rogue wave than have the encounters with douchebags in the harbor.. lol

At the bright side, you're having really interesting days, anywho.

I could spend all day catching yfc they fight well.

blackwater
12-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Hey, I'll take crumb, from a piece of crumb, lol
Amazing that you guys are still getting legals in late Fall.
Nice job Don. :Thumbs Up:

bones
12-15-2012, 09:54 AM
Great job out there as always Don. I'm glad poseidon has the same sense of humor when it comes to keeping himself entertained with your adventures. Trust me......I'm your co-star in that sitcom.....LOL
That is a nice mixed bag you put together there buddy. Congrats on the legal too. I gotta stop chasing these perchzilla's up north and focus a little down south.

Merry fishmas brotha!

bachiboy
12-19-2012, 06:27 PM
Id rather get soaked by a rogue wave than have the encounters with douchebags in the harbor.. lol

At the bright side, you're having really interesting days, anywho.

I could spend all day catching yfc they fight well.

LOL! Very true SH. Some of the harbor rats can really get bad. Thanks for reading!!!

Hey, I'll take crumb, from a piece of crumb, lol
Amazing that you guys are still getting legals in late Fall.
Nice job Don. :Thumbs Up:
Thanks Phuong! Hope you have a great holiday and that we get you out there soon to sample out some of those crumbs! :Wink:

Great job out there as always Don. I'm glad poseidon has the same sense of humor when it comes to keeping himself entertained with your adventures. Trust me......I'm your co-star in that sitcom.....LOL
That is a nice mixed bag you put together there buddy. Congrats on the legal too. I gotta stop chasing these perchzilla's up north and focus a little down south.

Merry fishmas brotha!

Thanks Mike! Well, considering the chances of getting perchzilla, it's not such a bad call right now. Not like we're completely tearing it up out there...but there is that overtime for you and Robert to settle before year's end. Good luck to both of you!!!:Wink:

Have a great holiday!!!!