PDA

View Full Version : Just a few questions

fishinarteest
12-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Ok so i've been hearing about the good success at pyramid, and since its the holiday season Im not as busy as I have been the rest of the year, meaning, I can actually go fish! So my questions are. Is the success that i've been hearing about out there coinciding with the trout stockings(meaning has the trout stockings been the reason why everyone has been doing so well, if so then when do they stock). Second am i wasting my time without having a fish finder to be able to tell what depth the fish are at, or am I good just using my method of just dropping the bait down and hoping to get a bite. And lastly, what are the lake hours? I'll be hitting up pyramid either next friday or saturday(probably saturday) so info is appreciated since i haven't fished this lake since '06.

quix
12-13-2012, 07:19 AM
Ok so i've been hearing about the good success at pyramid, and since its the holiday season Im not as busy as I have been the rest of the year, meaning, I can actually go fish! So my questions are. Is the success that i've been hearing about out there coinciding with the trout stockings(meaning has the trout stockings been the reason why everyone has been doing so well, if so then when do they stock). Second am i wasting my time without having a fish finder to be able to tell what depth the fish are at, or am I good just using my method of just dropping the bait down and hoping to get a bite. And lastly, what are the lake hours? I'll be hitting up pyramid either next friday or saturday(probably saturday) so info is appreciated since i haven't fished this lake since '06.

I'm fairly new to fishing but have had pretty good success with the stocked trout at Pyramid this season. Your best bet is to check DFG's website for stock dates before heading out. Here'a a link https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishPlants/

You can also call Campone to find out. I went with two of my buddies the day after Thanksgiving and all three of us caught our limits.

fishinarteest
12-13-2012, 09:50 AM
I'm fairly new to fishing but have had pretty good success with the stocked trout at Pyramid this season. Your best bet is to check DFG's website for stock dates before heading out. Here'a a link https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishPlants/

You can also call Campone to find out. I went with two of my buddies the day after Thanksgiving and all three of us caught our limits.

actually im not really interested in fishing the stocked trout, I was moreso wondering if the trout is what was getting the stripers more active.

FishinGame
12-14-2012, 07:04 AM
Not sure how the trout affect the deeper parts.... But they do better the odds for shoreline stripes. Sometimes its not so beneficial when you see a few 3-5 pounders basking in a pool of trout looking like glutinous kings.. they're all full of trout flavored candy.

fishinone
12-14-2012, 07:31 AM
The trout do affect the striper bite but only the bite in the channel leading out from the boat ramp.

Out in the main lake the bite is more related to the monthly cycle, the water temp and the changes in water level.

Usually if you want to catch lots of striper you'll need really good bait. Your best bet is fresh sardines.

Dropping your bait down will work in a good spot but you can also measure it down and/or up so that you can get your bait to the active fish more reliably once you find their depth.

Flylining works too but it doesn't get your bait in the zone as quick or keep it there for as long as setting your depth.