PDA

View Full Version : SATURDAY 12/8 FOUND THE GIANT BSP's - Swat North Of LA report Perchin' Dave

Perchin' Dave
12-12-2012, 06:02 PM
On saturday, Brad Bayley and Perchin' Dave saw a two hour opportunity to catch. Everything looked good with a favorable moon and a possibility of finding a few fish on a fast moving outgoing tide. We have been seeing mixed sizes in the last few outings and weren't sure what to expect. We saw some structure from the two weeks back storm and really didn't expect anything on this 'hunting for giant' BSP trip.

When we arrived at the spot (north of LA) Perchin' Dave was a bit disappointed at the smeg, which always seems worse on an outgoing tide. A lot had piled up at this part of the beach and there was a strong right to left current. Having fished worse conditions, I have seen results by casting up-current and keeping the line tight and equal to the movement of the current. It took some time to find the first fish (Brad was rigging up at the truck) and my first was at 13" BSP. A hint of a good day. In the next 20 minutes I found another six, 11", 12" & 13" and a couple smaller. The water is starting to get colder and the fish are more active and even the smaller fish put up a fight which was exaggerated with the rip I was fishing.

Enter Brad Bayley. Brad is an excellent fisherman and has incredible attention to detail, and his results show by the quantity and quality of fish he catches. He's not afraid to jump right in the water (note: we were both fishing our swim suits in December), and he reminds me of Wingnut, and is fearless with the water. (see my last post).

Brad goes out looking for fish and it takes about awhile till he finds his first, his initial were dinks. Our two hour window is closing rapidly.

BUT ... the water looks great, the larger waves about 5' and there is some structure and several seriously equipped fishermen are fishing nearby (catching mostly dinks, mostly using smelly bait, thus the small size).

I leave my spot and join Brad and we start working a few spots on the way back down the beach. We caught a few, but nothing worth talking about. With all the fishermen there, none were really catching, just one now and then. So we go back and rely on our good experience and ability to read the water and go for it anyway. We'll find them. So Brad and I go back where there are some cool currents, a trough, some murky/clear water transition, an outside break that I couldn't reach with my 6' 6" stick but Brad effortlessly makes with his 7'/line combo, along with a triple break. It looked good. Really good. And what started out slow became Brads personal best BSP day ever! He was pulling out fish after fish, 11, 12, 13, 14, & 15". He was disappointed on one cast when he didn't pull in a fish, it was that good.

And then ....it happened. BAM! The bite was huge and Brad smiles from ear to ear. His rod bends extreme. "This one is huge, he said. It took drag, zigged, zagged, took drag again, zigged and zagged again, took more drag and then when I saw it, a definite giant. This is the largest BSP I have seen pulled out of the water. Brad tries to lift the fish out with his rod and line but it was too huge. See photo below.

And as we we were leaving he said that this has got to be the best quality, the largest quality of BSP he has ever caught. Ever.

We definitely had a good day on the water and Brad definitely found the giants

Oh... and our 2 hour window turned into 7 with about 80 BSP between the two of us with Brad finding more of the larger variety. My largest for the day was 15". Oh, and for all of you who only fish the LC (Lucky Craft), we fished a carolina rig with a 3" grub. Yes, It was an awesome day on the water.

Thanks for joining us in our story ...

Perchin' Dave & Awesome Brad

Here's the conditions (between the larger waves)
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/davesomm/IMG_4860.jpg

Here's Brad's big fish of the day!
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/davesomm/IMG_4856.jpg

Here's how big it was, the largest I have ever seen. Way to go Brad!
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/davesomm/IMG_4854.jpg

Wingnut
12-12-2012, 06:28 PM
That is an absolute BEAST! :Shocked: Great job Brad. :Thumbs Up:
When I got the text from Mikey, I thought that he said you caught it Dave... so I put you in the lead on the Leader Board, tied with Lucas. :Razz:
One of my main goal this year was to get a 16" Perch... I got a 15 1/2" this year. Only a couple of weeks left for the hunt!

Oh, by the way... if you guys were throwing the LC all day, I bet you would have had several 16"+ models. :Wink: :LOL: :Envious:

Perchin' Dave
12-12-2012, 07:03 PM
When I got the text from Mikey, I thought that he said you caught it Dave... so I put you in the lead on the Leader Board, tied with Lucas. :Razz:
One of my main goal this year was to get a 16" Perch... I got a 15 1/2" this year. Only a couple of weeks left for the hunt!

Oh, by the way... if you guys were throwing the LC all day, I bet you would have had several 16"+ models. :Wink: :LOL: :Envious:

Too much weed and too far to cast. Brad cast the hammer some and caught one. Perchin' Dave

frankjz
12-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Wow! A perch that big actually needs a new species name...instead of BSP, BFP...?

fz

bachiboy
12-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Great report Dave! And big congrats to your buddy Brad on getting that monster. That thing is an ABSOLUTE PIG!!!!:EyePop: Way to go out there.

Don

dlmoo312
12-12-2012, 07:46 PM
80 BSP is a lot of fish! Congrats on the quality catches!
I can see how 2hrs would turn to 7 with those sizes, and that last one is especially nice.
Thanks for the report!

-Daniel

SP Dan
12-12-2012, 07:48 PM
Hi ya Dave,

80 BSP.....OMG....what an amazing session!
Congrat's to your buddy Brad on catching "PERCH-ZILLA" :EyePop: the monstrous perch!
That bad boy was huge!

Thanx Dave for the quality read with pic's! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

bones
12-12-2012, 07:54 PM
Awesome session boyz........ TOAD BSP Brad!
The bigger model prespawners were down here in south VC but it looks like they are moving north now. That girl is just starting to show her prespawn colors. Imagine if she was preggo !

Tuna Vic
12-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Toad perch,WTG!

Cya Tuna Vic

Jbfish
12-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Grubs? My buddy and I fish for perch at Newport beach. We've caught a few that were 15+ and we use sand crabs.. Just stick your hand in the sand and pull them put.. Haha they work! Good luck out there! *JBfish*

bloox8
12-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Man thats a lot of perch. If I recall correctly, I think you guys caught 200+ last time :Shocked: You guys really kill'em out there. Way to go.

Thanks for the great report

Thien

Tubbytuba
12-13-2012, 11:37 AM
nice :Applause:! i nailed an untold amount of 11-13 inchers yesterday, i dont know if it is the colder weather or what but the bigger models are out to play! well done boss!

Good hunting

peanutbutter
12-13-2012, 04:25 PM
wowzerz:EyePop: nice hog and nice sesh you went out and found the hogs awesome

fishshep
12-13-2012, 07:06 PM
Looks like 16.1/2er to me, On the nose !!!

Is not the IFGA record 17 :???:

DockRat
12-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Beast !!! Congrats on the big perch.

smokehound
12-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Grubs? My buddy and I fish for perch at Newport beach. We've caught a few that were 15+ and we use sand crabs.. Just stick your hand in the sand and pull them put.. Haha they work! Good luck out there! *JBfish*Not this time of year, sandcrabs go deep in winter. You may find a few stragglers huddled together a few feet beneath the sand near rocks. but aside from that, it will be barren. If you're lucky, you'll find a bed of overwintering female sandcrabs during a good low tide.

The poor underrated Grub. So under-utilized... a 4 inch grub will get you massive surfperch.

blackwater
12-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Holy cow, Perch on steroids, nice catch! :Thumbs Up:

Lucky Lager
12-14-2012, 05:58 PM
Nice going Dave!!
your buddy's perch is a monster!!
i agree with Arthur though, the LC may have produced more of the larger models, lol!
here's my brother's PB with a LC

bones
12-15-2012, 10:56 AM
Looks like 16.1/2er to me, On the nose !!!

Is not the IFGA record 17 :???:

The IGFA record is 17" but that is not important when it comes to the IGFA. The weight is the only thing that matters and that fish was 4.5 lbs.