PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Lake raft rules

quix
12-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Hello,

I'm new here and pretty new to fishing as well (about two months.) I've been having a great time catching the stocked trout at Pyramid in my last few trips from shore (at the ramp near the entrance.) My buddy and I want to expand to the bass and cats deeper in the lake. We are picking up the Intex Excursion 5 blow up raft for it. From the reviews, it appears to be not too shabby considering the $125 price tag. I also want to mount a trolling motor on the boat to make getting around the lake a bit easier. My question is, do I have to have some sort of tags if the raft is equipped with a motor? Anything else I should know about?

If this isn't the proper forum for this question, I apologize. As I said, I'm new. Go easy on me ;)

Thanks!

fishfinder
12-12-2012, 11:54 PM
better be ready to walk back on the shore, cause the wind wont let you back to the marina with a trolling motor.

Coefficient13
12-13-2012, 07:18 AM
You could probably rock that thing in the Castaic lagoon daily until around 11 or whenever the wind wants to pick up.

Would you need to buy a trolling motor? Just each get a kayak... Think you just missed the yearly sale on the fishing one at dick's.

BALLERONBUDGET
12-13-2012, 07:32 AM
state of ca needs ur $$$$. any boat/watercraft/yak/float etc, is free if self powered (sail, row, paddle, etc) , add a motor and they $crew u with having to get a title $50 and registration fees biannual $20+ purchase tax on item. it becomes a hassle even to do a paper trail if u got item used off craigslist used or so and if theres no visible vin on it, if item is homemade etc... pain in the rear but can be done. AAA/DMV can start pprwrk for u. . also if u buy a boat/yak registered that is late fees ull hv to pay those to transfer the title into ur name.... good luck

quix
12-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Thanks, everyone for your answers. Very helpful. Based on what BALLERONBUDGET said, I may just stick with the paddles, then. Not worth all the hassle. I don't mind getting the kayak, but I've got storage issues in my garage at the moment and also need more space on the boat to comfortably seat two.

Coefficient13
12-14-2012, 11:05 AM
might want two singles, though tandems are swell and easy to use alone as well. But used kayaks are super cheap.

Mine is on a side yard upside down on two saw horses made out of those wood crates cola is delivered to super markets on, though you can hang them on the wall in a garage.

reservoir dog
12-14-2012, 02:19 PM
I used to use an inflatable pontoon with a trolling motor and switched to a kayak and loving it! My biggest concern was the amount time of setting up vs. hitting the water as soon as you arrive at the lake. With a kayak you just drop it in the water, load up your gear and you're good to go! There's no inflating/deflating to deal with. And without having a motor attached you don't have to register the damn thing which will save you a couple of bucks a year. Whether you're on a float tube, pontoon or kayak you're never going to be able to compete with an actual boat but it's still a great way to get out on the lake. Before you invest in anything always checkout Craigslist or the FNN classifieds.