PDA

View Full Version : buying my first kayak

Got_fish?
12-11-2012, 06:53 PM
hey all [=
i want to get into kayaking and i got no clue where to start. im looking for a sit on top tandem kayak thatll do fine in the ocean and just as well in the lake. dont know if thats possible but if it is that'd be great. i live in Los Angeles, and i need suggestions on where to start looking. any tips or links would be gladly appreciated

Poxy Boggards
12-12-2012, 02:56 PM
I would suggest a hobie, but they are expensive as all get out. You can also look into Malibu and Ocean kayaks which can be had for more resonable prices. Check craigslist for deals on used kayaks which will save you a boat load pardon the pun of money.

The Lone Fisherman
12-17-2012, 08:03 AM
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?63388-Buying-a-Kayak-Help!&p=600741#post600741

reservoir dog
12-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Craigslist

Fastfish
12-17-2012, 10:08 AM
Hobie! I can't even begin to tell ya how great these have been to me and my wife they get used alot and we have caught alot of fish from them the only downfall is cost find a used one or do a lay-away with a Hobie dealer but there really is a difference.

Fastfish

Caliyak
12-17-2012, 10:21 AM
Got Fish, I am a Wilderness System fan. I love my WS Tarpon 100. But, go to the WS website and look for the Tarpon or Ride models. REI sells them and so do other independent locations. The best way to find your kayak is to try them out. Try a Hobie, Malibu, WS, Ocean, Jackson or any other ones you find. Look at length, weight, seats, price and the accessories that go on them. I like the track system that WS has because you don't need to drill holes into your yak. Only you know what you like and what you can afford. Try them all before you buy.

Armofisher818
12-17-2012, 05:18 PM
ocean kayak or malibu kayaks are the way to go. Ive never had a ws but i hear their a really wet ride which is ok to some people but i love my prowler 13. Go test drive some kayaks at oex sunset beach give them a call and ask them when their having a demo day. there you can test drive alot of kayaks and pick one you like.

Got_fish?
12-21-2012, 11:34 PM
thanks for all the information, i really appreciate it. :Razz:
my only concern with buying a used kayak is the condition the kayak will be.
as i have never owned one before i dont know what to look out for, like the paint of the kayak or holes and scratches

geedavell
12-22-2012, 08:07 AM
I have a tandem Hobie that I'd sell. Send me your e-mail and I'll send some pics. geedavell@yahoo.com