PDA

View Full Version : Puerto Rico Tarpon fest and Peacock Bass

bassjedi
12-11-2012, 02:27 PM
I got away during a work trip for a half day of fishing for Tarpon near the airport in San Juan. I booked Capt Juan of Extreme Fishing, who was excellent. The tarpon were jumping out of the water chasing sand perch, and we hooked a bunch of them. We lost around 8 from 40-90lbs near the boat. My coworker fought the 90lber for over a half hour and I got some good pics of it before it dove under the boat and the line parted. The only ones we actually got in the boat were small, but it was great fishing.
I also did a half day of peacock bass fishing with Capt Paco of Peacock Bass and Tarpon Tours. Fishing was decent and we landed 10 peacocks on spinnerbaits and around 20 little red devils on goldfish.

Ifishtoolittle
12-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Man I would love to take a half day from my daily troubles and slay some Tarpon and Peacocks!

CL SmooV
12-11-2012, 09:50 PM
Those are some top notch action pics! This has to be a top 10 half day biz trip session. Topping it off with hooking one of my fav aquarium species. How did the red devil put up a fight?

Cadillyak
12-11-2012, 09:55 PM
I have a 220 gal freshwater tank full of red devils. Some white, some yellow, and of course red/orange. I too would like to know how the fight was. Also, what did u hook them and the tarpon on. On heck of a half day. Beats a halfway of rockfishing out here any day.

gamekiller
12-12-2012, 07:17 AM
Amazing!!!

5150fishn
12-12-2012, 08:37 AM
Wow what a spectacular trip!

bassjedi
12-13-2012, 07:53 AM
I have a 220 gal freshwater tank full of red devils. Some white, some yellow, and of course red/orange. I too would like to know how the fight was. Also, what did u hook them and the tarpon on. On heck of a half day. Beats a halfway of rockfishing out here any day.

I wish I could tell you how they fight but all the ones we got were very small. They do get up to 5lbs or so but sadly we didn't hook any of those.

Natural Lefty
12-13-2012, 04:10 PM
My wife and I caught cichlids which looked like those Red Devils in Sun-Moon Lake in Taiwan last summer, but upon researching them, I decided that they were most likely yellow colored Tilapia. I just checked again, and I can find nothing saying that Red Devils have gone wild in Taiwan. All of the Tilapia we caught were small, too, unfortunately. We also saw a small Peacock Bass caught in Taiwan and a few little ones swimming around, but no big ones and we didn't catch any.

After seeing this report, I am thinking about trying to convince my wife to take a vacation to Puerto Rico one of these times. I think it might not take much convincing, either. It looks like quite a fishing area.

I forgot to mention that I used to have a pet Red Devil, too, like when I was a teenager. They are colorful fish with a lot of personality.

Poxy Boggards
12-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Awesome action shots! Sounds like a fun trip!

RedKnight
12-14-2012, 09:03 AM
Very nice...great shots. Looks like you have a pro photographer to go with the pro fishing...... Thanks for sharing.