PDA

View Full Version : Skinner 12/9/12

cambofisher
12-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Went out to Skinner with my nephew n girlfriends son to try our luck not knowing how it has been except the knowledge that they had stocked trout on Friday. With that in mind we brought our big bait rods with us n tried our luck out with the big swimbaits. Got to the lake at 545am and set up our gear while waiting for them to let us in. Once in we went straight to launch ramp 2 n tossed our Huddleston n bbz for a good 2.5 hrs for nothing not even a follow. Didn't see a trout caught either while we were there.

We then decided to rent a boat n try our luck with chicken liver or anything that will get use some action from the jailbirds. We got to the dock n nobody was there n had to call someone to come down n set us up with a rental. As we were waiting I notice that there were quite a few boats fishing right behind the bouys just past the rental docks. It looked like they were fishing with shad either fly lined or with a splitshot. Only saw one guy land nice sized striper about 4lbs while we were there.10 minutes later the rental guy came down n set us up with a boat n told us that we should go to the east end n make shad then come back to that area n go for stripers. So we did as he said n made bait in 15mins cause there was so much shad in the east end n nothing crashing on them.

Went back to the fleet n tried our luck for about 1.5hr for nothing so we decided to just go elsewhere n hunt these striper down. Tried a few spot with chicken liver n shad split in half with our six rods that we had out in the water n still no bites. On our last spot we got a bite on my chicken liver rod n pulled up a 2.5lbs catfish not what we were chasing but got the skunk of our backs lol. Then all of a sudden my girlfriends son rod with the shad goes off n he sets the hook but whatever it was came unbuttoned. 15mins later my nephew gets slammed with his shad rod n pulls in a nice 5.5-6lb striper n we were stoked!! So we put shad on all our rods n managed to bring in 2 more stripers. I pulled in a 4 n my nephew a 5lber n that was it for the day.

It was tough fishing but we did manage to land some fish. We were using 8 n4lb test line with a #4 circle hook with a splitshot about a foot up the line. All fish were caught drifting cause the anchor was too short. Will have to bring my own anchor line next time. The fish were very nice size for Skinner cause I caught some last year that was smaller grades. They were all chunky n big bellies on them must be eating good with all the shad out there. Go gettem guys they're out there gl.

GdHkSet1
12-10-2012, 07:26 PM
Way to go out there making bait and getting in on some feesh! Keep chucking the big baits-one day it will pay off-good luck next time and thanks for sharing your day at Skinner.